• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Here's one that caught my eye, until I read the listing and discovered it has color touch and who knows what else.

Nice looking copy. But it's a buy-it-at-your-own-risk kind of deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOWCASE-4-1956-COMIC-VG-4-5-/110646845811?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c310e173#ht_928wt_1262

He does have a 7 day return policy...that should give some confidence.

I've tried to figure if it's been trimmed, but it looks like it might not be.

What a shame If it only has color touch, it looks like a nice copy.

But I agree with Flash105, it's risky buying a big book raw on ebay

IDK, the guy has good feedback, been on eBay 12 years, and recently sold two other Marvel SA keys and got good feedback on them both. If I didn't already have a copy, I might make a run at it.

IDK, the guy has good feedback, been on eBay 12 years, and recently sold two other Marvel SA keys and got good feedback on them both. If I didn't already have a copy, I might make a run at it.

He lives pretty close to me. I asked him if I could come pick it up, we'll see what he says.

He lives pretty close to me. I asked him if I could come pick it up, we'll see what he says.

:wishluck:

Plus he did disclose the color touch. That is also a lot of disclosure for eBay. 2c

:wishluck:

His response:

"Yes, absolutely! (Would you like me to e-mail you a list of other comics I plan to sell?) Thanks, Rich"

I asked him if he felt confident that the CT was the only resto, to which he responded:

"I do - I looked at it closely and had it looked at by 2 other people I consider very reputable and we only saw the touches, which seem totally unnecessary, and are quite unobtrusive. An inexperienced collector would miss them. I feel sure it is not trimmed, and see no other resto at all. --Rich"

Sounds pretty unscammy to me.

I asked him if he felt confident that the CT was the only resto, to which he responded:

"I do - I looked at it closely and had it looked at by 2 other people I consider very reputable and we only saw the touches, which seem totally unnecessary, and are quite unobtrusive. An inexperienced collector would miss them. I feel sure it is not trimmed, and see no other resto at all. --Rich"

Sounds pretty unscammy to me.

Sounds excellent. And you may find out he has some other cool books you can use

Go for it. We need new members.

I really am considering it. But that'd be a super major purchase for me, and the resto gots me worried. If it's really limited to some CT, I can hang with that. I'd rather have a nice looking copy with a bit of CT than a beater that's pure. But if there's been more done to it? It makes me skittish.

So, does anyone know of a way to get some reliable, quickie resto checking done in NYC? The seller sounds on the level, and I pretty much trust that I'd be able to return the thing within 7 days. But could I get it checked that quickly?

Man o man, I really want a Showcase 4.

I really am considering it. But that'd be a super major purchase for me, and the resto gots me worried. If it's really limited to some CT, I can hang with that. I'd rather have a nice looking copy with a bit of CT than a beater that's pure. But if there's been more done to it? It makes me skittish.

So, does anyone know of a way to get some reliable, quickie resto checking done in NYC? The seller sounds on the level, and I pretty much trust that I'd be able to return the thing within 7 days. But could I get it checked that quickly?

Run it by Metro and let Vincent take a gander at it.

Run it by Metro and let Vincent take a gander at it.

+1 I was just about to say that

Too bad. I think a book like that one might even have done better if it were graded, depending of course on the extent of the restoration it revealed.

Anyone else agree that a decent book like this one, if it only had minor color touch probably could have fetched more than the closing price?

On the subject of raw SC's, did anyone see this SC #8 raw that sold on ebay last night? Another book that,IMHO if unrestored, could have fetched a lot more if graded.

The doubt factor kept me from going as high as I might have if there was definite proof it was unrestored.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=230581892358&si=mmiJOWUC%252F3axMO%252Fxe0sUwqlNWPM%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AONA%3AUS%3A1123#ht_4782wt_1141

Too bad. I think a book like that one might even have done better if it were graded, depending of course on the extent of the restoration it revealed.

Anyone else agree that a decent book like this one, if it only had minor color touch probably could have fetched more than the closing price?

On the subject of raw SC's, did anyone see this SC #8 raw that sold on ebay last night? Another book that,IMHO if unrestored, could have fetched a lot more if graded.

The doubt factor kept me from going as high as I might have if there was definite proof it was unrestored.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=230581892358&si=mmiJOWUC%252F3axMO%252Fxe0sUwqlNWPM%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AONA%3AUS%3A1123#ht_4782wt_1141

That SC8 looks unrestored to me. Looks 4.5-5.0 and is a good deal. (thumbs u