• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Yea, I think he had a couple issues.

1) he was in spain so shipping was going to suck

2) he had like 9 feedback

3) he got a negative from a buyer 2 days before the auction ended and it moved his feedback to like 88%.

I dont think he was a scammer at all since all his positive feedback was for Silver Age keys and one of them was a 5.0 AF 15. His negative was for some walking dead .

Yeah, I cast dispersions about the seller and contacted her and she made it clear that she was dealing with her husbands books and was a little inexperienced,

but I concluded not a scammer. Now she's still listing keys - she has a Avengers #1 & #4. Better keep an eye on that one I think hm

. . . and one of them was a 5.0 AF 15.

This was actually the transaction that kinda freaked me out, it says the book is in NM (perfect condition on the actual listing) with tiny photos that looked like stolen scans. This seemed to me to be the exact thing you see when they are a scammer. Oh well, no one's perfect.

Oh and it's a "she" not a "he".

Here's an original-owner copy that looks decent. Cover detached from bottom staple but nice cover gloss and strike. Price might be a tad high. Anyway guy seems nice and he has tons of positive feedback and only a few negatives (3) that seem like anomalies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200357466972&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Here's an original-owner copy that looks decent. Cover detached from bottom staple but nice cover gloss and strike. Price might be a tad high. Anyway guy seems nice and he has tons of positive feedback and only a few negatives (3) that seem like anomalies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200357466972&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

This was almost the first key book I ever bought. The seller touts his books as his own pedigree basically (he bought them off the newsstands, says "from the collection of John Doe"). This book has been up for a looong time

You bought this particular book, or SC#4? I stumbled across this listing and asked the seller what name was stamped in the book, as I owned a SC#4 and used to stamp my name on the inside bottom front page. It wasn't my name my book, it was his. Seemed like a nice enough guy, I dunno know. So many folks looking figured I'd mention it.

There's another one for sale on eBay, think I recall it being raw and having a loose centerfold.

Maybe I better stop referring these books before somebody accuses me of shilling.

Yeah, It does look familiar, after closer inspection. I know I've seen that white splotch on the top of the "S" in Showcase. Was it restored when it sold on c-link? I can't find the listing, which is weird since they used to keep sold books on the web site forever.

Ok :grin: . . . there's a new 5.0 CR/OW copy up for auction on C-link,

where a 4.5 OW copy in the "for sale" section just sold for $5125.

c-link

And then there's this copy (with the detached centerfold) on ebay

ebay

That's a record price for a 4.5. That's triple the price of a BB28 or SC22 in similar grades.

That is a really nice 5.0.

You got that right sir! Very nice colors and I wonder if there is something hidden that hammered it down. hm

Remember one can order the notes from CGC. :baiting:

I'm thinking of doing this on a few of my books, some of which are in old style slabs.

I wonder how complete the "older" notes are?

One way to find out. (shrug)

That is a really nice 5.0.

You got that right sir! Very nice colors and I wonder if there is something hidden that hammered it down. hm

Remember one can order the notes from CGC. :baiting:

I'm thinking of doing this on a few of my books, some of which are in old style slabs.

I wonder how complete the "older" notes are?

One way to find out. (shrug)

Not paying for notes again...paid for a few lately. But then again, curious mind wants to know.