• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN #1 - what do YOU think

19 posts in this topic

one of my handful of original purchases not made at sid's luncheonette in Orange, NJ. i had to hunt this one down in Chatham, NJ and bought it while working as a delivery boy for a rug company in the summer of 1963 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thoughts are appreciated...........

1073975462766_xmen__1.jpg

1076428665564_xmen__1_001.jpg

Another beauty, Burnt... I'll bet when you were pedaling home with this you never stopped to think "sheeit, some day I'll be able to buy a car with the money this sucker'll be worth!" 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd say VF 8.0, due to spine stress, very minor wear (esp in LRC) and what appears to be moderate fading of cover inks..? If the color issue is just scanner-related, I think this might make VF+ 8.5.

Again, I think you should contact CGC re: the possibility that your 1,000-book, original-owner collection is a candidate for pedigree status.

I'd call it the "Story" pedigree, since you seem to have a story re: each book's exact provinence..!

i was actually in a delivery truck that day and still wonder sometimes how so many of these made it through 40+ years in pretty decent shape.

the colors on this are very nice. that little tear on the upper back middle cover is one of those defects that i never paid attention to until i started listening to what you guys were saying on this and the e-bay forum. i used to think all of these were NM 27_laughing.gif

Also agree on the VF 8.0 (that's what I'd give it due to the spine stresses, minor color fading in LRC, *very* slightly rounded and/or scuffed corners, and the Marvel chip on the upper back cover), though I think it might also get a VF+ 8.5. I have an Amazing Spider-Man #14 with virtually the exact same wear characteristics (so similar it's almost spooky), and it's a slabbed 8.5. Nice books, Burnt. And great stories. Keep 'em coming. I could read stories like these all day.

Agree on the very fine grade. Very nice book.

Awesome copy.

I would probably go with a 8.5. There wear on the back cover shouldn't downgrade the book anywhere as much as if it was on the front.

Plus, as usual with your books, it's a "fresh" looking copy (which to me should get bonus points).

oh - i read them all a few times. but after the third reading or so, put them away and probably never opened them again. keys like this i used to keep in the thick mylars with the 3 ring punches in big folders so that i could view them whenever i wanted.

what mystifies me to this day is how my Hulks (1-6) got so messed up. i must have really read the heck out of them because you'd be hard-pressed to find a fine in the bunch...........

CGC has received a dozen books (many posted here like asm #7, FF #'2 & 5, and avengers #4) which i'm picking up in sarasota next week. i will report back on how they viewed them............ 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Did you post your AF #15????

burntboy, you have some nice books!

I'd say VF+ range.... Stand proud!

the walk-thru on this and my AF# 15 were gonna take three hours so i had to leave them. should get them back later this week. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

one of my handful of original purchases not made at sid's luncheonette in Orange, NJ. i had to hunt this one down in Chatham, NJ and bought it while working as a delivery boy for a rug company in the summer of 1963 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thoughts are appreciated...........

1073975462766_xmen__1.jpg

1076428665564_xmen__1_001.jpg

got the results back this afternoon. and the best graders for this book are; Garth, Osborn, Fantasy, Maggy, Discount, Eagles & Herc (or almost everybody with their 8.0!!!!) 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

and check out my first post of a Slabbed book - hot from the mail - AF# 15 ooo.gif