• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

it's that time of the month- post your CLINK wins/heartbreaks

620 posts in this topic

the amount of people that HAVE money to spend on high grade comics are limited and as long as supplies keep increasing...naturally prices will come down...blame it on pressing, blame it on more raw books discovered/sub or something else. The law of supply and demand is doing its natural DEselection.

Just as important is the number of buyers.

I just had a guy email me. We were discussing a potential sale of apretty big book over the past two weeks. He was interested in buying two weeks ago. Now he wants to wait until tax season is over. Say what you will, tax season affects people's discretionary income. I hear it a lot from buyers.

trmoore do you think this is just the correction in prices everyone was talking about before or is it a lack of interest in the issues being offered? A case of people who want them have them already? or external economic difficulties to the everyday consumer being reflected into the comic book market? or canada's fault?

A combination of ALL the factors... :devil:

And a couple of FF about $75-100 below GPA (or roughly 25-33% discounted)

FF 36 9.0 $275

FF 38 9.2 $292

It was FAR more than those two, virtually every high-grade FF went for 20% to 100% or more below GPA history from the past few years. Had I not slipped into a game of lowballing the lowballers, I would've won a LOT more than four books. :insane:

i'm blaming the artist formerly known as SOT. my benign posts and greggy's mocking me survived.

I blame the US.

Posted by request. Again.

93590.gif

That's the most accurate world map I've ever seen, PARTICULARLY for Europe. The area north of the US is screwed up though...people do actually live there, they just wish they didn't. :gossip:

:roflmao:

i'm blaming the artist formerly known as SOT. my benign posts and greggy's mocking me survived.

I blame the US.

93590.gif

That's the most accurate world map I've ever seen, PARTICULARLY for Europe. The area north of the US is screwed up though...people do actually live there, they just wish they didn't. :gossip:

lol The total absence of Africa speaks volumes.

I blame the US.

93590.gif

The map is wrong. Aren't there a couple of hockey rinks up there in the uninhabited Green Zone?

I blame the US.

93590.gif

The map is wrong. Aren't there a couple of hockey rinks up there in the uninhabited Green Zone?

Yes, and a beer stand.

meh

Regarding the apparent soft sales of many issues, the Boards tend to base this on GPA prices, usually last sale. However, we tend to overlook the census on many of these soft sales. With the advent of pressing books like ASM 100 are getting plentiful in high grade, they are no longer rare. Last GPA was often realized when a book was rare. I have an FF 105 in 9.8 that was the single highest graded for years, suddenly (literally overnight) there are 3 or 4 graded 9.8. It's analogous to a warehouse find that drives down the price of a once rare book. It's a good time to buy, embrace it.

And a couple of FF about $75-100 below GPA (or roughly 25-33% discounted)

FF 36 9.0 $275

FF 38 9.2 $292

It was FAR more than those two, virtually every high-grade FF went for 20% to 100% or more below GPA history from the past few years. Had I not slipped into a game of lowballing the lowballers, I would've won a LOT more than four books. :insane:

Yep, I won a couple of the FFs. The 9.6 # 73 was one. $355 is the second lowest price when compared to GPA, with only one under it back in 2004. This copy looks pretty nice, with OW/W pages and none of the discoloration of the white cover you sometimes find on the book.

Last GPA sale, BTW, was $735, with a 12-month average of $896. Tell me the consignor isn't doing this :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated: today.

The carnage will hopefully trickle over into the second night :wishluck:, though history suggests prices firm up on Wednesday and Thursday.

Everyone knew this flood of material was going to end up being bad news eventually....well, the chickens have finally come home to roost.

OK...why exactly did a bunch of "the market is softening" posts get yanked from this thread? I'm thinking that the reality of the realized prices isn't editable...so I'm not sure why our editorial of those prices in this thread should be. ???

Yeah, they absolutely butchered this thread.

You know, its not often I care to grace the boards with my insightful commentary, but when I do, I expect it to stay around for a while.

Boo on the Mods for caving in on commentary that is nothing more than an analysis of real-time events. No agendas. No policitical rhetoric. No one harmed. Its a buyer's market...is that fact really so disturbing it needs to be covered up?

For shame....

Yes I have been reading this thread since last night and don't see anything that would have warranted such deletions by the mods? (shrug)

In fact IMO it contains usefull information that shows current trends and general information usefull to us all?

Weird and a little disheartening.

trmoore do you think this is just the correction in prices everyone was talking about before or is it a lack of interest in the issues being offered? A case of people who want them have them already? or external economic difficulties to the everyday consumer being reflected into the comic book market? or canada's fault?

It's a combination of things. Obviously Canada is unimpeachable in all matters.

The teflon country.

Sorry, but we still hold it against you for unleashing Bryan Adams on the world.

So its a buyers market right now. So do the majority of you think this is a good thing for the comic hobby or will people scoop up these for cheap and hurt the overall pursuit of back issues or will they just migrate over to other titles?

Regarding the apparent soft sales of many issues, the Boards tend to base this on GPA prices, usually last sale. However, we tend to overlook the census on many of these soft sales. With the advent of pressing books like ASM 100 are getting plentiful in high grade, they are no longer rare. Last GPA was often realized when a book was rare. I have an FF 105 in 9.8 that was the single highest graded for years, suddenly (literally overnight) there are 3 or 4 graded 9.8. It's analogous to a warehouse find that drives down the price of a once rare book. It's a good time to buy, embrace it.

Yesterday's prices for Spidey and FF were low across the board for ALL sales in the last 2-5 years. Many of the tougher issues even went below market...only the toughest of the tough went for high prices. The only particularly high price I recall for FF was the CGC 9.6 copy of #40 at ~$8K, but that was easy to pick, there are only five in existence and the only other copy publically sold went for $14K almost exactly a year ago.

Part of it is that the whales from last years got the bulk of their runs and are now just selectively filling holes, but that only explains why there aren't any through-the-roof prices, it doesn't explain why so many of the more normal willing-to-pay-market-or-a-little-above-or-below buyers were absent.

It's a combination of things. Obviously Canada is unimpeachable in all matters.

The teflon country.

Sorry, but we still hold it against you for unleashing Bryan Adams on the world.

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

lol

I understand that its more practical to just do a mass deletion of posts, then to pick and choose, but I'm still baffled what warranted being deleted in the first place? You would think the presence of bargains would encourage people reading this thread to go to the auction and actually bid on a few books they might not have thought they could win otherwise.

The fact the posts got deleted isn't going to make the consignment checks look any more palatable to the sellers, and the results themselves (fully searchable on C-link) will take care of anyone that still has a hard-on to consign to the next auction, so what gives?

Yesterday's prices for Spidey and FF were low across the board for ALL sales in the last 2-5 years. Many of the tougher issues even went below market...only the toughest of the tough went for high prices. The only particularly high price I recall for FF was the CGC 9.6 copy of #40 at ~$8K, but that was easy to pick, there are only five in existence and the only other copy publically sold went for $14K almost exactly a year ago.

Part of it is that the whales from last years got the bulk of their runs and are now just selectively filling holes, but that only explains why there aren't any through-the-roof prices, it doesn't explain why so many of the more normal willing-to-pay-market-or-a-little-above-or-below buyers were absent.

I would disagree James. Every book sold last night went for "market" price. It just so happens the market sucks. :P

So its a buyers market right now. So do the majority of you think this is a good thing for the comic hobby or will people scoop up these for cheap and hurt the overall pursuit of back issues or will they just migrate over to other titles?

It's fine. If you find it disturbing, you were probably a consignor and you took an assreaming, in which case, OOPS, SORRY! That's just how the free market cookie crumbles! :blush: If you otherwise see it as a sign of some kind of impending doom...you're too focused on the monetary aspect of the hobby.

I understand that its more practical to just do a mass deletion of posts, then to pick and choose, but I'm still baffled what warranted being deleted in the first place? You would think the presence of bargains would encourage people reading this thread to go to the auction and actually bid on a few books they might not have thought they could win otherwise.

The fact the posts got deleted isn't going to make the consignment checks look any more palatable to the sellers, and the results themselves (fully searchable on C-link) will take care of anyone that still has a hard-on to consign to the next auction, so what gives?

You can bash Pedigree, Showcase NE, Quality Comics or anyone else.

But you can't bash Comic Link.