• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

it's that time of the month- post your CLINK wins/heartbreaks

620 posts in this topic

Very depressing thread. I look at the bright side, now I might be able to afford real gems from comic history and be able to hold them in my hand and enjoy them.

Why would this be a depressing thread? My posts from last night were part of the collateral damage but I'll say it again. Prices for 9.0+ silver and bronze have been unsustainable for a while now. Nutty prices being paid for common as dirt books just because they were 9.6s or 9.8s. The glut of high grade material at all the auction houses just accentuates how easy some of these books are to find in grade. A pull back to '03-'05 prices actually makes sense.

The GREAT CRASH is here :fear: Relative only to the last few years at least. If you were one of the people paying $7K for an Avengers 93 in 9.6 or and FF 72 in 9.6, yeah this thread is depressing. I wonder why anyone would pay those kinds of prices to begin with though. This correction or crash or whatever you'd like to call it was obvious, I'm surprised it took this long.

The GREAT CRASH is here :fear: Relative only to the last few years at least. If you were one of the people paying $7K for an Avengers 93 in 9.6 or and FF 72 in 9.6, yeah this thread is depressing. I wonder why anyone would pay those kinds of prices to begin with though.

I hope you're right about FF 72 in 9.6, because for some reason I can't fathom, that issue is still highly unavailable. :pullhair:

I consigned a couple of books to this auction, to try out CL's auctions. I have to say that I'm disappointed with the results; the Cap #117 9.2 was mine, GPA average is around $500, but the winner won for only $330. That's a pretty significant drop. :( Oh well, probably in the future, I'll try fixed listings on eBay (those have been doing fairly well for me, although my books are usually less than $300). Hopefully my other books will do better, although at this point, I'm not optimistic.

I think the factors alluded to earlier, tax time, Christmas bills, and a flood of quality material, all point to now not being a good time to sell.

A flurry of last minute bidding on the Avengers books. But final prices were still erratic.

#71 9.8 sold for $2411, double the only recorded sale (in 2006).

#72 9.8 sold for $1311. Previous sale was $2500 (Aug 2009).

#74 9.8 sold for $760. Previous sale was $2500 (Mar 2009).

#78 9.8 sold for $601. Previous sale was $2400 (Aug 2009).

And on and on.

74, and 78 were fugly books. The price matches the book and not the grade.

What'choo talkin' 'bout, Jeff?

OK, the #78 has a slight miswrap. But the #74? What's so fugly about it?

Sorry, Andrew! I was remembering 68 and 69!

The GREAT CRASH is here :fear: Relative only to the last few years at least. If you were one of the people paying $7K for an Avengers 93 in 9.6 or and FF 72 in 9.6, yeah this thread is depressing. I wonder why anyone would pay those kinds of prices to begin with though.

I hope you're right about FF 72 in 9.6, because for some reason I can't fathom, that issue is still highly unavailable. :pullhair:

There are 12 of them in 9.6 and 9.8 so it's not lack of high grade copies. Maybe people are holding onto their copies for some reason (shrug) Unusual given the prices paid for them the last couple of years.

I consigned a couple of books to this auction, to try out CL's auctions. I have to say that I'm disappointed with the results; the Cap #117 9.2 was mine, GPA average is around $500, but the winner won for only $330. That's a pretty significant drop. :( Oh well, probably in the future, I'll try fixed listings on eBay (those have been doing fairly well for me, although my books are usually less than $300). Hopefully my other books will do better, although at this point, I'm not optimistic.

I think the factors alluded to earlier, tax time, Christmas bills, and a flood of quality material, all point to now not being a good time to sell.

I was backup bidder on that book. That was a good deal. You shoulda just sold it to me for that and saved yourself the hassle and the fees. lol Honestly, books like that sell quite readily here on the boards, unless you thought it was going to bring a significant GPA premium, I would have tried that here.

There are 12 of them in 9.6 and 9.8 so it's not lack of high grade copies. Maybe people are holding onto their copies for some reason (shrug) Unusual given the prices paid for them the last couple of years.

bob at high grade had a nice looking FF #72 cgc 9.4 for sale...i think it has sold as my offer was not accepted.......shocka! :roflmao:

FF 72 has lower supply than surrounding issues and a MUCH greater demand due to the popularity of the Silver Surfer and that awesome cover art. I can't decide what the best FF Silver Surfer cover is--49, 50, 55, or 72. I lean towards 55 then 72.

I think it's a starvation thing. FF 55 was going for $1500-$2000 five years ago because several copies had hit market. Now what we haven't seen one in a while, I bet the next copy to hit market goes for $5000-$10000 to one of the whales. That's likely what has happened with #72 of late, a few whales really wanted copies and just spent like mad to get them. If five consecutive copies hit market, the price would just plummet...which is ENTIRELY what we're seeing throughout the Marvels in this month's auction, just too much quality material on the market over too short a time.

A flurry of last minute bidding on the Avengers books. But final prices were still erratic.

And on and on.

Having Woodstock flashbacks? (shrug)

I remember 69, too. I was 12 and had a crush on a girl in my class named Sherry. Sadly, I was invisible to her. But perhaps that was part of the attraction: I went for the unattainable girls.

Also in 69, the Avengers were at their creative peak with Big John B behind the pencil.

I think in general, no reserve listings on any auction site come with a fair amount of risk right now. Its the inverse of 2001-2005, where you could list a fairly common Marvel in CGC 9.4/9.6 on eBay or C-link and watch it get gobbled up at a new record price with jaw-dropping ease.

Well, I guess the other feller who's bidding on the Rangers 15 doesn't know it's my birthday and that they aren't supposed to be bidding. :baiting:

I guess you can call this a preemptive heartbreak but at 3x guide, with that wrap, I'm bowing out.

Got my hopes on a couple of others still.

Happy Birthday!

And on and on.

Having Woodstock flashbacks? (shrug)

I remember 69, too. I was 12 and had a crush on a girl in my class named Sherry. Sadly, I was invisible to her. But perhaps that was part of the attraction: I went for the unattainable girls.

Also in 69, the Avengers were at their creative peak with Big John B behind the pencil.

:makepoint:

Well, I guess the other feller who's bidding on the Rangers 15 doesn't know it's my birthday and that they aren't supposed to be bidding. :baiting:

I guess you can call this a preemptive heartbreak but at 3x guide, with that wrap, I'm bowing out.

Got my hopes on a couple of others still.

Happy Birthday!

:hi:

Thanks Sharon

At some point, I think sellers have no right to complain if they post without reserve.

Example: Much as I'd love to steal Mark Zaid's 8.5 Fighting Yank # 1 tonight, I seriously doubt that book will hit the reserve he has on it (whatever it is), let alone what he paid for it.

And a couple of FF about $75-100 below GPA (or roughly 25-33% discounted)

FF 36 9.0 $275

FF 38 9.2 $292

It was FAR more than those two, virtually every high-grade FF went for 20% to 100% or more below GPA history from the past few years. Had I not slipped into a game of lowballing the lowballers, I would've won a LOT more than four books. :insane:

100% below GPA? that i've gotta see.