• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade game!

310 posts in this topic

I don't buy it that prior labels are discarded and the book is treated unbiased.

Is that based upon your empirical observations of their regrading of some comics, or is that a conspiracy theory you just pulled straight out of your butt? Based upon your conclusions to this point in the thread, I'm going with the latter. :eyeroll:

Not 6, 2! The two TOP graders are the ones who make the call. They only use the under-graders to make the initial impression. But ultimately, it's 1 person. I think they would improve if they took the average grade given.

You really don't have a clue how CGC works, do you?

For most books three grades are recorded, and the final grader makes the call based on both the previous grades & his own estimate - if those three grades are 7.5, 7.5, and 8.0, it's the final grader's decision whether the book ends up in a CGC 7.5 or CGC 8.0 holder. Unlike what you're implying, the book will never end up in a CGC 6.0 holder at that point.

I don't buy it that prior labels are discarded and the book is treated unbiased. Especially on a book of such high importance. They were probably confused and needed guidance so thought, "how can I lower the grade if THEY didn't?, this is a big # book!" This says a lot more than you assume. THIS is where the politics come into play. And if you think there's no politics in comics, your naive.

Believe what you want, but until it's proven otherwise I think I'll trust CGC over some internet nobody with an agenda (thumbs u

Hey someone made a bet a little while back....

Would you be interested in "placing your bet" on this book?

I'll buy it, have it re-submitted/graded. If it comes back the same, you keep it, if it comes back lower, I keep it you pay for it.

hmmmmmm....

:jokealert:

at the price this book is going for, and the inconsistencies involved, I have to decline. TOO much of a gamble for me.

Then why put a grade on the label. Just say "unrestored" or "restored", and list the details as much as possible on the label. State any defects & Don't say a grade. SIMPLE FIX!

NOW THIS would be an asset!

:takeit:

MY GOD YOU ARE ING DENSE.

:gossip: Boozad pulled a Cobra... :o

Then why put a grade on the label. Just say "unrestored" or "restored", and list the details as much as possible on the label. State any defects & Don't say a grade. SIMPLE FIX!

:o(tsk)

Only when the wife's got a headache (thumbs u

i am unsure why my post about how i feel comics are ranked "over time" got mixed in with

the comic in the first post. This thread is discussing multiple topics now.

basically the people here will find some anal flaw that i did not cover in my initial post and

use that to bash the whole concept. At least fantastic_four was intrigued enough by the

concept to consider it. I do not expect him to run with it as gospel but at least he considered

it without name calling or swearing.

I am not going to cover every aspect and every angle when I post.

I have no desire to type out a 5000 words when a couple of paragraphs works well

enough to convey the concept.

Just like the original poster used 5.25 to convey his opinion that a comic could go either

way... many folks just bashed it without one ounce of critical thinking. It had to be explained

in full detail before they might see some value in stating it like that.

I don't buy it that prior labels are discarded and the book is treated unbiased.

Is that based upon your empirical observations of their regrading of some comics, or is that a conspiracy theory you just pulled straight out of your butt? Based upon your conclusions to this point in the thread, I'm going with the latter. :eyeroll:

The fact is, I don't know what to think.

All I know is,IMO, It ain't 9.4

The fact is, I don't know what to think.

All I know is,IMO, It ain't 9.4

the trouble is that cgc disagrees with you and people value cgc's opinion more then yours.

you have made your case and quite a few will agree with you but the market as a whole

will take cgc's opinion as the more valid one.

as others have stated... grade it yourself and bid accordingly.

i think the graders do not see the labels but it would be foolish to assume they do not

remember such a memorable copy of a comic and the grade they gave it... even years

ago. Which is essentially the same thing.

the book will never end up in a CGC 6.0 holder at that point.

I never said it would. What I said is, grader #1 says 8.0 grader #2 says 7.5, HEAD grader says 9.4. And it's slbbed 9.4. What they should do is say 8.5. THE AVERAGE. That's like saying graders 1 and 2 are the students, and don't know how to grade. Only the MASTER Head grader does.

Hey, you know what? I helped develop the slab! In fact, I had a lot to do with it. & I've been regretting it ever since. Because before I talked with (i think i was Bruce Hamilton or was it David Alexander), they didn't know how to slab a book. At least that's what I was told (by one of these giants) at the 97 San Diego Comic Con.

I never said it would What I said is, grader #1 says 8.0 grader #2 says 7.5, HEAD grader says 9.4. And it's slbbed 9.4. What they should do is say 8.5. THE AVERAGE. That's like saying graders 1 and 2 are the students, and don't know how to grade. Only the MASTER Head grader does.

Why use the first 2?

Are you really this dense or is this just an act?

That's not how the CGC grading process works - the final grader is not going to look at a book that was graded 7.5-8.0 by the other graders, and give it a 9.4. IT DOES NOT HAPPEN.

i'll guess some books of lesser value, they don't even look at more than 3 seconds and just grade the average of the first 2 graders.

I'm glad to see that you remain in full-on tinfoil-hat mode, and nothing seems to phase you from continuing to throw out your biased speculation as fact.

I never said it would. What I said is, grader #1 says 8.0 grader #2 says 7.5, HEAD grader says 9.4. And it's slbbed 9.4. What they should do is say 8.5. THE AVERAGE. That's like saying graders 1 and 2 are the students, and don't know how to grade. Only the MASTER Head grader does.

Not true. If there is any discrepancy, they may even call in a 4th grader to get an opinion.

The finalizer weighs in on what the initial graders have assessed and bases his judgment on that as well as his own grade.

And make no mistake, they are usually really close in grade.

I've called in for many grading notes and have never had a 6.0/8.0/9.4 grade.

I've had a 9.0/9.2/9.2 grade.

I've had a 9.0/9.4/9.2 grade.

I've had a 9.2/9.0/9.0 grade.

But most of the time it's just 9.2/9.2/9.2 where all three agree.

I don't see the problem.

(shrug)

I'm afraid there truly were no winners in this Guess The Grade game. :(

It may seem like this at first, but I actually did learn a lot here.

I learned that the CGC does not use Overstreet grading. (which I never would have guessed seeing how people that sell CGC books use overstreet to price them)

I also learned this "society" is "technically" owned by the CGC.

(which I would never have guessed given the drastic difference in appearance to the OFFICIAL cgc page)

2 very important lessons.

:applause:

I learned that the CGC does not use Overstreet grading. (which I never would have guessed seeing how people that sell CGC books use overstreet to price them)

In case you missed this the first 10 times it was said:

No, they don't.