• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade game!

310 posts in this topic

I'm afraid there truly were no winners in this Guess The Grade game. :(

It may seem like this at first, but I actually did learn a lot here.

I learned that the CGC does not use Overstreet grading. (which I never would have guessed seeing how people that sell CGC books use overstreet to price them)

I also learned this "society" is "technically" owned by the CGC.

(which I would never have guessed given the drastic difference in appearance to the OFFICIAL cgc page)

2 very important lessons.

:applause:

Do any dealers that you know use Overstreet grading?

Do they grade 100% equally, like robots?

If their grade differs from another dealer do they offer refunds?

Nevermind, we know the answer to those questions. How about this one:

How can all dealers sell using Overstreet if their grades differ, because every dealers grade differs?

How about another?

How can some dealers buy keys at Overstreet but sell at multiples of guide?

:popcorn:

i am unsure why my post about how i feel comics are ranked "over time" got mixed in with

the comic in the first post. This thread is discussing multiple topics now.

basically the people here will find some anal flaw that i did not cover in my initial post and

use that to bash the whole concept. At least fantastic_four was intrigued enough by the

concept to consider it. I do not expect him to run with it as gospel but at least he considered

it without name calling or swearing.

I am not going to cover every aspect and every angle when I post.

I have no desire to type out a 5000 words when a couple of paragraphs works well

enough to convey the concept.

Just like the original poster used 5.25 to convey his opinion that a comic could go either

way... many folks just bashed it without one ounce of critical thinking. It had to be explained

in full detail before they might see some value in stating it like that.

I think your original post and the question made from it were very interesting.

It does appear a ranking is going on. Who's got the best book syndrome.

When taken all the variables involved, there is NO BEST copy. I have my own copies of certain books that are far and above the best copies in the census that will never be seen till I'm in my grave. You might THINK you've got the best copy, but if I feel this way, then there also has to be more out there who think the same and have copies in their own collections that exceed the census. Just as I am certain SOME of CGC's best are among the best.

Whenever I buy CGC books, I crack em open an enjoy them. And if I get it and don't like it, i re-sell it in the slab to try and at least get my money back. (but that's gone both ways too) And no, I don't buy 9.4's in CGC, but I do buy a lot in Good and Very Good because there is a lot less to lose should I disagree but at least, as you said, I know there's no restoration. So you see, I find the CGC helpful but also consider it dangerous.

I learned that the CGC does not use Overstreet grading. (which I never would have guessed seeing how people that sell CGC books use overstreet to price them)

(which I would never have guessed given the drastic difference in appearance to the OFFICIAL cgc page)

How can all dealers sell using Overstreet if their grades differ, because every dealers grade differs?

How about another?

your right! To a point. But if a dealer over grades, I don't buy from them anymore. So, it's best they are honest to me. I learn my lesson once or twice. But most are out of the gate. I know some who carry CGC books because they can't ignore them and look stupid if they don't have them. And some of them make a ton of money on certain books so, I can't blame them either. Just because a car dealer sells BMW, he could drive a Cadillac.

And most ALL dealers I deal with, will take a book back, no questions, maybe a discussion and if my argument is valid, they will offer a reduction to keep me as a customer. Most people who sell CGC books don't take refunds because of "3rd party grading". (& hide behind the label)

Once a dealer said to me, (I won't mention his name but he was very highly respected) He said when I discussed cgc grading years ago, "if you don't like the grade they give it, keep submitting it until you get the grade you want" And this was a total turn off for me.

I admit, I can be a conservative grader, and at the same time, i might over grade as well, just like anyone. But there are certain do's and do not's. Like Sun-Shadows in 9.4.

He said when I discussed cgc grading years ago, "if you don't like the grade they give it, keep submitting it until you get the grade you want" And this was a total turn off for me.

Of course it was, because you're a total tool who believes what he wants to hear about CGC. Do you really believe if you keep submitting an 8.5 it will come back a 9.4 someday? A 9.2 will come back a 9.8 someday? A 5.0 will come back a 7.0?

Either you're talking bollocks or the dealer was. If a dealer ever said it in the first place.

Once a dealer said to me, (I won't mention his name but he was very highly respected) He said when I discussed cgc grading years ago, "if you don't like the grade they give it, keep submitting it until you get the grade you want" And this was a total turn off for me.

I admit, I can be a conservative grader, and at the same time, i might over grade as well, just like anyone. But there are certain do's and do not's. Like Sun-Shadows in 9.4.

The reason urban myths like this exist in the hobby is because everybody is circulating a rumor with no truth to it. The reason they do that is because nobody actually takes the time to find out what is true and what isn't.

CGC isn't here to agree with your grade.

If a grade differs between dealers that doesn't mean that one is dishonest. It could just mean that one got laid that day while the other didn't, or one had better eye sight, or - get this - they might just have different grading standards.

:makepoint:

CGC is here to standardize grading so that comics can be relatively safely bought and sold across the internet.

If you disagree with the grade, just do what everyone else does: Buy the book and not the label.

There's a learning curve with everything and that also goes with CGC.

The arguments that you are bringing about have been discussed on here 1000's of times.

The end result is that people eventually learn to buy the book and not the grade, because everyone's tastes will vary.

You can't blame any one entity because tastes (or grades) vary in the hobby.

That's just a fact of life.

He said when I discussed cgc grading years ago, "if you don't like the grade they give it, keep submitting it until you get the grade you want" And this was a total turn off for me.

Of course it was, because you're a total tool who believes what he wants to hear about CGC. Do you really believe if you keep submitting an 8.5 it will come back a 9.4 someday? A 9.2 will come back a 9.8 someday? A 5.0 will come back a 7.0?

Either you're talking bollocks or the dealer was. If a dealer ever said it in the first place.

I don't really care if you believe me or not Boozad. I know who I am. You ought to go find a mirror and give it a hard look.

I'll give you a hint. This dealer, I sold him a Spidey 1 in VF. We couldn't decide on a price, I wanted $2500, he wanted to give me $2000. So we flipped a coin. (by the way, I lost) But it was his idea.

lol even i know that will never happen.... unless restoration is a factor... :grin:

I'll give you a hint. This dealer, I sold him a Spidey 1 in VF. We couldn't decide on a price, I wanted $2500, he wanted to give me $2000. So we flipped a coin. (by the way, I lost) But it was his idea.

Hang on a minute, you're wailing away about people pricing CGC books by Overstreet guide, yet you'll sell a book to a dealer who decides the price of a book by the flip of a coin?

You really are a few comics short of a long box. I'm done with you and your circus of a thread.

The reason urban myths like this exist in the hobby is because everybody is circulating a rumor with no truth to it. The reason they do that is because nobody actually takes the time to find out what is true and what isn't.

If a grade differs between dealers that doesn't mean that one is dishonest. It could just mean that one got laid that day while the other didn't, or one had better eye sight, or - get this - they might just have different grading standards.

CGC is here to standardize grading so that comics can be relatively safely bought and sold across the internet.

If you disagree with the grade, just do what everyone else does: Buy the book and not the label.

The arguments that you are bringing about have been discussed on here 1000's of times.

The end result is that people eventually learn to buy the book and not the grade, because everyone's tastes will vary.

Were' talking about a book that is $65,000 in 9.2 and this one's slabbed 9.4. With the almighty "Guarantee" that isn't "Guaranteed". Why are MOST of you people defending them over this book? This thread would have been so easy if people "guessed" but apparently, your afraid to admit the truth. It's obvious. I guess I would too if I had a collection full of slabbed 9.2-9.8's hm

I'll go now, no need to spin in circles. A few people already admitted it. I just wanted to hear it from someone else so I'd know I wasn't going nuts.

Thanks for your help.

:golfclap:

:hi:

Were' talking about a book that is $65,000 in 9.2 and this one's slabbed 9.4. With the almighty "Guarantee" that isn't "Guaranteed". Why are MOST of you people defending them over this book? This thread would have been so easy if people "guessed" but apparently, your afraid to admit the truth. It's obvious. I guess I would too if I had a collection full of slabbed 9.2-9.8's hm

I'll go now, no need to spin in circles. A few people already admitted it. I just wanted to hear it from someone else so I'd know I wasn't going nuts.

Thanks for your help.

:golfclap:

:hi:

Nobody is defending them over the book.

I stated that I can't accurately grade a book from a scan, but was leaning towards no.

Others have already stated that the book may have been overgraded.

Some don't care.

What do you want?

People to tell you that CGC is not perfect?

What sort of guarantee to you get from other things in life?

What sort of guarantee do you want from CGC?

I knew it was only a matter of time before Roy got the hammer out... :devil:

I don't really care if you believe me or not Boozad. I know who I am. You ought to go find a mirror and give it a hard look.

Hope it wasn't with this guy...

no-country-for-old-men.jpg

How about another?

your right! To a point. But if a dealer over grades, I don't buy from them anymore. So, it's best they are honest to me. I learn my lesson once or twice. But most are out of the gate. I know some who carry CGC books because they can't ignore them and look stupid if they don't have them. And some of them make a ton of money on certain books so, I can't blame them either. Just because a car dealer sells BMW, he could drive a Cadillac.

And most ALL dealers I deal with, will take a book back, no questions, maybe a discussion and if my argument is valid, they will offer a reduction to keep me as a customer. Most people who sell CGC books don't take refunds because of "3rd party grading". (& hide behind the label)

You could always get SAMCO1 on eBay to grade it for you... :insane::devil:

another perfect example of a person who will take an idea and bash it with really

silly examples.

what was meant by resubmitting until you get the grade you want is when you have

a really really nice comic that could go either 9.2 or 9.4. When the price difference

between the two grades is many multiples it behooves the submitter to try it multiple

times. There is a really good chance it will eventually come back a 9.4 and the

submitter reaps the rewards of having some patience and knowing how to use the

system to his advantage.

inconsistency is used as an advantage by insiders who know how the game is

played.

but then i am tired of spelling things out for folks who want to bash without any

critical thinking. notice the use of the word tool. more named calling from the

peanut gallery. really.. lol... tool... it is all so ironic. truly.

another perfect example of a person who will take an idea and bash it with really

silly examples.

what was meant by resubmitting until you get the grade you want is when you have

a really really nice comic that could go either 9.2 or 9.4. When the price difference

between the two grades is many multiples it behooves the submitter to try it multiple

times. There is a really good chance it will eventually come back a 9.4 and the

submitter reaps the rewards of having some patience and knowing how to use the

system to his advantage.

inconsistency is used as an advantage by insiders who know how the game is

played.

but then i am tired of spelling things out for folks who want to bash without any

critical thinking.

And there have been numerous instances where a book has been submitted multiple times to hit a 9.8 and came back a 9.6 every time. I'm tired of answering eedjits in this thread who know better.