• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade game!

310 posts in this topic

CGC is a business, and for that reason their service needs to be seen as adding value to a book.

It's supposed to be a 3rd party, truthful evaluation, regardless of what the "value" may be.

CGC is true to it's own standards, and fairly consistent to them.

They never promised to grade books the way everyone else wanted them graded.

CGC is a business, and for that reason their service needs to be seen as adding value to a book.

It's supposed to be a 3rd party, truthful evaluation, regardless of what the "value" may be.

You're obviously going to argue with anything anybody says about CGC being a legitimate company. Why not cut all the passive/aggressive bollocks and just go and buy raw books.

There is a website call GP Analysis www.gpanalysis.com that actually tracks and records sales of CGC graded books and is indispensable if you are going to either buy or sell CGC graded books.

In my opinion, GPA makes Overstreet obsolete for that segment of the market.

Great points Roy. I wish I'd mentioned them twice before in this thread.

Gav, sorry...didn't go into detail this morning to read everyone's posts again. Did anyone bother throwing out there what GPA is or did they just say "GPA"?

There is the odd person that signs up on here and has no idea GPA exists or what it is.

:foryou:

What a shame, I clicked on this thread with 180 posts expecting to see something fun and positive in the resto forum.

I was wrong on both counts.

This thread is a shame.

There is a website call GP Analysis www.gpanalysis.com that actually tracks and records sales of CGC graded books and is indispensable if you are going to either buy or sell CGC graded books.

Gav, sorry...didn't go into detail this morning to read everyone's posts again. Did anyone bother throwing out there what GPA is or did they just say "GPA"?

There is the odd person that signs up on here and has no idea GPA exists or what it is.

Not a problem Roy, I wasn't aiming that at you. I was just pointing out that the OP had conveniently ignored the fact I'd posted about GPA twice when it came to his pricing gripes. If he had any interest in it he'd have asked.

It still beggar's belief that he has a bee in his bonnet about CGC for somebody else pricing a book in accordance with Overstreet. How the hell does that have anything to do with CGC? Again, he seems to conveniently have missed those posts.

CGC is a 3rd party business. They do provide truthful evaluations based on their grading standards and are remarkably consistent considering all the variables involved in grading a comic. They are also a business that must provide value or close up shop.

Your anti CGC bias is obvious in every post you make and you are obviously not interested in information that contradicts your bias. You are playing in the wrong sandbox.

Why do they call it "the Guarantee" if the grade isn't "Guaranteed" (worship)

Who is "they"? The "G" in CGC stands for "guaranty," which means a good faith best attempt, not a guarantee. For you to suggest that any certification in any collectible field might guarantee grades suggests a naivete which belittles your points of debate.

You say you have no agenda...that may have been true when you originally posted, but your subsequent words stink of one. :screwy:

sigh. wrong.

Not a problem Roy, I wasn't aiming that at you. I was just pointing out that the OP had conveniently ignored the fact I'd posted about GPA twice when it came to his pricing gripes. If he had any interest in it he'd have asked.

It still beggar's belief that he has a bee in his bonnet about CGC for somebody else pricing a book in accordance with Overstreet. How the hell does that have anything to do with CGC? Again, he seems to conveniently have missed those posts.

No worries.

Hey, I'd be happy to "kick the stool out from under him" during the cyber-lynching if I find he's pulling everyone's leg.

At this point he says he's in Overstreet (so maybe a dealer or adviser) and seems to have a disconnect in logic between CGC and OSPG.

I'm happy to stay neutral on the issue until any more evidence comes in.

r1970d.

i am glad you were more reasonable then other posters and tried to understand the OP

instead of calling him names. This place could use a few more people like you.

in the end i think cgc will end up ranking comics instead of grading them.. but that is just

me. especially the high end. graede inflation will take hold for multiple reasons. everything

is adjustable and hard to see over time.

in the end i think cgc will end up ranking comics instead of grading them.. but that is just

me. especially the high end. graede inflation will take hold for multiple reasons. everything

That's a pretty bold statement.

Is there any precedent for that?

I did check out the GPA and I don't see the relevance in how they apply here. They simply report on the CGC books. They don't grade em. Do they? Did I miss something?

I did check out the GPA and I don't see the relevance in how they apply here. They simply report on the CGC books. They don't grade em. Do they? Did I miss something?

You talked/asked about finding a price relationship between a CGC graded book and Overstreet pricing.

GPA provides a way to track prices of CGC graded books.

A savvy buyer in todays market generally uses Overstreet and GPA when determining what fair market value is for a book.

Overstreet is no longer exclusively the one.

r1970d.

i am glad you were more reasonable then other posters and tried to understand the OP

Explain what you mean by ranking...I'm at a loss to understand what that implies. And are you a proponent of ranking vs. grading? And if so, why would ranking be more beneficial than grading? (shrug)

r1970d.

Explain what you mean by ranking...I'm at a loss to understand what that implies. And are you a proponent of ranking vs. grading? And if so, why would ranking be more beneficial than grading? (shrug)

I think he means in an "Olympics" kind of way where top dawg gets the best price/rating and so on down the line.

I've just never heard of that before.

R.

You say you have no agenda...that may have been true when you originally posted, but your subsequent words stink of one. :screwy:

sigh. wrong.

No, right. The agenda began to become clear when the conspiracy theories started, which was with this post:

Oh, you spoiled the fun.

Why?

You work at CGC? Heritage?

me. especially the high end.

How is "ranking" not already inherently a part of "grading"? I also don't see how CGC is doing anything different related to "ranking" books than collectors in the 1950s and 1960s did when they first came up with the grading terms we're using now.

Ah you see! I am not worried about "SAVVY buyers", I'm worried about the AVERAGE, NON savvy buyers.

perhaps it's the NON Savvy buyers who are the ones "breaking the records" because they don't know what's really going on, that they SHOULDn'T use OVerstreet when deciding what they need to pay for a graded book.

In this case, the GPA would be maniputed. The blind leading those who can see. No wonder why the market can be so "volitile"

And again, I don't have a CGC agenda. ANY company who grades and charges money should publish a guide how they determine the grade.

Do Overstreet grade CGC graded books? No they don't, so where's the relevance there?

And yes, you're obviously missing something...

Ah you see! I am not worried about "SAVVY buyers", I'm worried about the AVERAGE, NON savvy buyers.

perhaps it's the NON Savvy buyers who are the ones "breaking the records" because they don't know what's really going on, that they SHOULDn'T use OVerstreet when deciding what they need to pay for a graded book.

In this case, the GPA would be maniputed. The blind leading those who can see. No wonder why the market can be so "volitile"

And again, I don't have a CGC agenda. ANY company who grades and charges money should publish a guide how they determine the grade.

That's where you're wrong.

The buyers that I know that spend their hard earned money on CGC graded books (and I mean when they spend big $) usually do their research.

You are assuming that like you, they don't.