• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on CGC GRADING (((POLL)))

167 posts in this topic

Another fine example of post content and post volume not quite adding up. if there is a semi-crack pot end of the world, real killer lurking in the grassly knoll theory you have not fallen in love with, you just haven't heard of it yet. The harbinger of doom, gloom, and conspiracy is once again on the scene to help us all out. Do you think all thees up by yourself or do you have a little manual or play book or something?

So the top 5% of any comic era is what's used to determine the 9.6 and above grades, which is commonly what has been used by dealers in the past. This ensure that "NM Collectors" continue to spend big-bucks, without adhering to the impossibility of making a Gold, Silver or Bronze comic match up to a Modern NM.

Think about it this way, a Golden Age CGC 9.4 is likely a Modern CGC 7.5, so why not give the Golden Age book a 7.5? It would still be a ultra-rare comic by comparative standards, but most collectors would still sneer at it and say "I only collect NM comics". So basically, CGC ensures that each and every era has their NM comics, through differential grading based on age.

Ok, turn about is fair play, so I've got a couple of questions for ya.

As we know Action Comics # 1 features the first appearance of America's first superhero the man from Krypton, is a Gold key (if not THE Gold key) and highly sought after by those that can afford it. To date the highest CGC graded copy is a VF/NM 9.0 (NM collectors are out of luck, and it's been restored :eeek: ), so what would the modern equivalent grade be?

Secondly, another Golden Age key that features the first appearance of Batman specifically Dective Comics # 27 is a book that is impossible to find a NM copy, and the highest CGC graded copy to date is a VF 8.0 (again the NM collectors are out of luck), so what would the modern equivalent of this Gold key be?

Here's the deal:

CGC grades differently for different eras; that's pretty well an accepted fact. The reason they do this is because it is required to sell CGC comics.

Only in your world of bitterness, paranoia, and conspiracy theories. How many CGC golden age books have you bought? How many silver/bronze/modern age? How many of each have you submitted? How many have you seen? First-hand knowledge about the subjects or your rants might garner you some form of legitimacy...

CI is right, i have a ASM 252 VF 8.0, no i didn't slab it or buy it, it was a xtra in my purchase. it looks NM 9.4 if SA or GA, i don't know why it got a VF 8.0. but in overstreet guides it clearly states that no matter what age the book, whether 20 yrs old or 1 yr old, side by side they should look the same for that grade. i would post a scan of the book, but my geek skillz are remedial. blush.gifshocked.gifgrin.gif

Post the scan if you get a chance. I keep hearing rumors of severe overgrading but haven't seen one confirmed yet.

Also, if you find yourself on the phone with CGC for some reason, give them the invoice # of that comic and ask for the grader's notes.

You guys make me want to puke. I have personally seen a few CGC 9.6 Golden Age books and you'd have to be a CGC apologist of the highest order to say these would come anywhere near a CGC 9.6 Ultimate Spider-man.

I don't have a problem with grading by era, as it's been accepted dealer practice for a long time. What I do have a problem with is CGC Acolytes refusing to accept reality and stating that any 70-year old book would stack up to CGC 9.6-9.8 fresh off the presses.

Here's an iron-clad, bust yer balls example that you cannot refute: No other age but Golden accepts light restoration with a Blue label. Fight that you CGC Knotheads.

Acolytes refusing to accept reality and stating that any 70-year old book would stack up to CGC 9.6-9.8 fresh off the presses.

Don't know if you've seen one in person, but the 50-60 yr old Edgar Church/Mile Highs are breath-taking.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

Don't know if you've seen one in person, but the 50-60 yr old Edgar Church/Mile Highs are breath-taking.

Yes I have, but are you honestly saying they match up perfectly to a just off-the-presses, put-under-the-microscope-to-look-for-defects CGC 9.8 Modern? If so, I've got a good optometrist for you.

They are beautiful copies, but when I look at high-grade comics, it's all relative to others of the same era and not against a pristine CGC 9.8 printed last week.

CI, I think we are on the same page on this issue (no pun intended), check out the big scan of this Action Comic # 25 (1940) CGC 9.6 Mile High Pedigree

To see a beautiful Golden Age book Click Here

Make sure to take a closer look, this book should be in a museum not a personal collection. tongue.gif

You mean in the yellow "S" right? Looks to me more like ink from those less than perfect printers. If you will notice there is just a very tiny touch of the same in the "T" of Action. If you're referring to the darker yellow below the "S" in Superman, that just looks like ink that is a slightly darker yellow, it is in other yellow places too like the top of the "A" in Action. That book just make me warm all over looking at it tongue.gif I really do like the cover, it't one of the early Action books with Superman on the front rather than some war scene.