• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on CGC GRADING (((POLL)))

167 posts in this topic

it's about a 10 minute read, i could careless about the reading room, since i don't buy modern comics. i do like the CGC market reports and the ads for comics for sale. one dealer had a DD 168 CGC NM+ 9.6 listed for $175, but it sold when i called for it. and to spite CI, i love the "ask mr. silverage" articles. blush.gifshocked.gifgrin.gif actually a pedigree run was discovered through a classsified CBG ad, i think it was the "mass collection or boston".

CBG is great - lots of cool articles delivered once a week to your mailbox for a low price. I also like the Mr. Silver Age articles as well as those by other columnists (including Chuck Rozanski of Mile High Comics and Peter David).

Also, I love reading Wizard. The price guide may be a little wacky, but they've got good articles, an interesting letters column, and they get the scoop on a lot of future releases. I wouldn't pay cover price for it, but the subscription is a bargain.

Gene

You can subscribe to Wizard ($28/year) at:

www.wizardworld.com

CBG is owned by Krause Publications - try a search on Google; I'm pretty sure I signed up on their website. They were running a promotion in Marvel Comics earlier this year, which is when I signed up. I believe a 52-week sub is around $34 a year.

Gene

I couldn't compare silver/bronze to gold because I have never seen a golden age comic books slabbed right in front of me to inspect. tongue.gif I can make statements regarding comparisons for moderns vs bronze, bronze vs silver etc but it isn't an exact science until you have multiple examples of books from each era all in front of you for comparison. wink.gif

I couldn't compare silver/bronze to gold because I have never seen a golden age comic books slabbed right in front of me to inspect. I can make statements regarding comparisons for moderns vs bronze, bronze vs silver etc but it isn't an exact science until you have multiple examples of books from each era all in front of you for comparison.
You mean...you're reserving judgement due to incomplete evidence? WTF!?!?!?

I think I'm going to faint! How have you been able to foster such an attitude with the huge volume of half-assed conclusions being repetitively drawn around here regarding the consistency of CGC's grading?!!?!?

Can you now please stop kissing CGC's and get back to slamming their horrible, horrible grading consistency?!!?! shocked.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

I havent seen any evidence of CGc grading Gold less stricltly than modern with exception of the extreme nitpicking above 9.6. But then again if they didnt nitpick so harsh on the from the last 20 years that is available in unread cases for the most part then there would be no market for this junk. Geesh Spawn 1 no matter what grade is worth $10 tops I have bought some Golden Age books that came back graded 6.0 that if you didnt either call CGC or crack it out of the slab as I did to see the interior would look as good as any new book today. Books should be graded the same period no matter hold old they are. If CGC is grading the Moderns stricter to sucker people into submitting that to get strupid prices for 9.8 9.9 common books than shame on all the suckers who are buying this stuff and creating a market for it. Personally I believe CGC simply should have gotten into slabbing common newer books period. They are all available in vast quantites so whats the damned point? Chet

Pov, I understand what you mean, but CI is more in line with reality. If there were no 9.+ GA books, and the top level any GA book could ever hope to achieve is, say, 7.0, then collectors would still hold off, waiting for those higher grades. Even if they were told that 7.0 is the top of the scale, would they believe it?

I think we have to decide for what purpose is grading? Is it to create a market? Or to accurately descibe the condition of a book? Right now we appear to have a single grading standard to be applied to all books. If that IS the case, then it should be adhered to. If that is NOT the case, and GA books are graded more leniently, then make a new GA grading system and adhere to that.

But the concept of manipulating GA grades in order to create or maintain a market is not one I agree with (see? I was mild there!)

I truly believe that is the reality of things right now.

I have a decent collection of 150+ CGC books to make a comprison based on era. As books get older (based on my collection), i've noticed that CGC grades older books with more leniency. If this happened with my bronze as well as my silver, then it is logical to believe that CGC also does this to gold books.

A company like CGC is only a few years old and a young company like this can always improve. Asking questions, or making comments on their grading system can only make them better IMO. laugh.gif

But the concept of manipulating GA grades in order to create or maintain a market is not one I agree with (see? I was mild there!)

You may not agree with it, but that's been the reality of the market for a long time now. Dealers have always graded relative to the era, and no less an authority than Bob Overstreet has stated this many times.

In one edition of OS, he stated that with older, rare comics, grading cannot be done using a set of criteria, but more a hands-on idea of what represents the best examples of that given comic.

Grading has always been relative, and I have absolutely no problems with this. To say that CGC gives the same scrutiny to a Golden Age 9.6-9.8 as it does a "just printed" Modern is ludicrous, as even Bronze books would have trouble matching up to the same incredibly strict criteria.

That's just the reality of an 70 year-old paper collectible and the dealer marketplace, which requires a "NM in every Era" in order to maintain collector interest.

Grading has always been relative, and I have absolutely no problems with this.

Got to disagree to a point there. Many GA books were older then than many BA books are today (if you accept Conan 1 as the start of BA), when the grading standards were first set forth. I DO have to disagree in the sense that there can be only one example of 9.4 if only one example of a grading guide is used.

To say that CGC gives the same scrutiny to a Golden Age 9.6-9.8 as it does a "just printed" Modern is ludicrous, as even Bronze books would have trouble matching up to the same incredibly strict criteria.

Well, again I will ask, if you can point me to where CGC states they use a different standard for a 9.6-9.8 book that is Modern than for one that is GA or SA or even BA, then please point me to it. If not, then there is absolutely nothing ludicrous about it. smile.gif