• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

htmlcomics.com Does this change EVERYTHING?

243 posts in this topic

Go to htmlcomics.com . What do you think? Who is doing it? Do we need a pool to guess on what date it will be taken down? How much time did it take to put up? How will effect our hobby? Can anyone figure out how to download the comics to a hard drive?

GoldenAgeComics.co.uk offers free downloads. (thumbs u

If the encapsulated comic phenomenon was a single piece of sand, the digital comic book phenomenon might be fandom-beach. It seems that big, mp3 big. And with portable color viewers on the near horizon it's probably just going to get much bigger.

Okay, let's say it does last from now on. Ignore the legal issues, servers, whatever. Just pretend that it does last.

I don't see it being a big change at all. For me, it is a reference tool. I can quickly find most any issue, look inside and see the credits, how much of an apperarance counts as a "cameo," what Marvel value Stamp is inside....whatever. I can do it without digging through my boxes right online while I'm typing.

I like it!

I don't think it will last.

Um, I think it'll have an impact...definitely will. For example, that TPB of Proof I bought this afternoon...POOF! I won't be shelling out $15 to the LCS for those any more if I can just get online and get my free read on! If I'm not getting moderns for collectability, why would I ever buy a hardcopy again if I can read them on the site??

A wise man once said...why buy the cow when you get the milk for free...

Cool site and i find it interesting that they get away with it by calling it a library!

As others have mentioned, I am quite surprised to notice to how many board members sites like htmlcomics.com are news ???

File sharing of comics is old news as is htmlcomics. The question of the impact it will have ... about as much as it's already have. It's been years that, every week, comics released on Wednesday are available by the same evening online. I don't seek them out but they are there.

Folks like me will use it as a resource and continue to buy comics. Others will read comics on the site and the industry will keep on going as it has these past 5 years. If anything, it would allow someone to sample a book and then buy the trade. On balance, I believe (maybe naïvely) that this will be more common than the other poster who would rather read them online than buy the trade.

I've started exploring the website. I didn't know about it, until it was posted here. I'll likely read quite a bit of material from the website. I currently do not purchase any currents and have not done so for a couple of years now. So, for me, the website wouldn't stop me from buying new books because I don't buy them anyway. Once they got past $2.99, I got out.

damn i was all excited about reading the walking dead and the old man logan story and they dont have ether of them =(

Yep, I thought I'd be able to catch up on my WD reading without having to fetch 30 floppies out of my short box.

:cry:

I don't see it being a big change at all. For me, it is a reference tool. I can quickly find most any issue, look inside and see the credits, how much of an apperarance counts as a "cameo," what Marvel value Stamp is inside....whatever. I can do it without digging through my boxes right online while I'm typing.

Doesn't change much for me either. nice as a reference tool but it will hardly stop me from buying a comic I want.

I knew of comic filesharing, but had never seen this site. Of course I never looked to much for this stuff, prefer to have the book in hand, but this will be great for reading books I can't afford and having my wife be able to read books without being 6+ months behind with trades. She won't read my floppies cuz she doesn't want to chance damaging them. Hopefully this will mean I'll have someone to talk about comics with in person.