• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

htmlcomics.com Does this change EVERYTHING?

243 posts in this topic

Although comics "in hand" are better to read. That site has been in my bookmarks for a few months. I've been able to read hundreds of stories I couldn't read otherwise. I can't afford to buy showcase #22 just to read but you can see it there.

Currently reading all the action comics on there. It's been a blast.

As others have mentioned, I am quite surprised to notice to how many board members sites like htmlcomics.com are news ???

File sharing of comics is old news as is htmlcomics. The question of the impact it will have ... about as much as it's already have. It's been years that, every week, comics released on Wednesday are available by the same evening online. I don't seek them out but they are there.

Folks like me will use it as a resource and continue to buy comics. Others will read comics on the site and the industry will keep on going as it has these past 5 years. If anything, it would allow someone to sample a book and then buy the trade. On balance, I believe (maybe naïvely) that this will be more common than the other poster who would rather read them online than buy the trade.

I'm one of those who check out the digital comics every week. I purchase (through backstock) all of the Superman titles, and reading digital copies are convenient for creating a reference list of what to buy, and I've grown to enjoy reading them on the computer, rather than having loose comics around toddlers. It has changed my buying habits, though. There have been a number of comics I've been exposed to (mainly Vertigo titles) that I've enjoyed so much I purchased the trade paperbacks for my wife to read.

Digital comics have been around for years. Heck I have gigabytes of them but I still buy books :shrug:

+1 :shy:

+2! :grin:

+3. I have over 32,000 comics on a hard drive. I would much rather read a copy of, for eg, Marvel Team Up #45 than read a scan of Action Comics #34 but they are a good reference. I like collecting them too.

Surprised this site is still here, very quick loading.

I'm not suprised it's still there, but I am suprised no one is defending the digital rights of the copyright holders. I'm also suprised at the amount of people who balk at downloading a comic, but have no qualms about reading it online.

Very suprised.

Just incredible :o I love this site!

I read Showcase #4, Showcase #22 and Amazing Fantasy #15 without cracking the slabs.

Hmmmmm, when is the Ipad coming out again?

I appreciate the fact that on that site not only can you read particular issues that could be out of most peoples' price range, but you also get to read the book in it's entirety the way it was produced back in the day. Sure it's awesome reading the first appearance of Thor in JIM 83 or Lex Luthor in Action 23, but you can also check out those esoteric backup stories that are hardly if ever reprinted! Plus they also have entire issues from the Golden age that have never seen the light of day since their 1st print run! I'm a collector at heart and I'll look for a number of those old books because I love to feel and the feeling of having said books, but now I won't have to be concerned with adding more wear to that old 1940s comic because I wanted to read it cover to cover.

Hoping this site stays around for a long time :wishluck:

Digital comics have been around for years. Heck I have gigabytes of them but I still buy books :shrug:

+1 :shy:

+2! :grin:

+3. I have over 32,000 comics on a hard drive. I would much rather read a copy of, for eg, Marvel Team Up #45 than read a scan of Action Comics #34 but they are a good reference. I like collecting them too.

Surprised this site is still here, very quick loading.

I'm not suprised it's still there, but I am suprised no one is defending the digital rights of the copyright holders. I'm also suprised at the amount of people who balk at downloading a comic, but have no qualms about reading it online.

Very suprised.

Because Disney and Warner are the majority of the copyright holders. Not many people are going to feel sorry or lose sleep over Disney/Warner losing a few bucks after the way Kirby/Siegel and other heirs were treated by them. Thats probally the main reason, I could be wrong.

hm

it befuddles me as to how they haven't been shut down fopr the newish stuff that is still protected under copyright? some of the GA stuff may have lapsed/never been renewed, but why ion earth aren't marvel, etc. going after them for stuff that they may want to sell reprints of some day (or sell as their own digital)?

i just don't see how calling it a "library" lets them do this.

I hope they get back to working. Yes, I'm "that guy" who enjoyed reading their books. And if anybody here watches any TV shows on YouTube that have been uploaded by users, you have no legitimate complaint.

I do understand that marvel and dc have their own digital comics services. But to me, that's not the same. I want to see the original comic book. I want to see the goofy ads, the letter column, "Stan's Soapbox," all of that stuff.

And i just don't buy the idea that reading a comic book online is stealing. Until the digital age, nobody ever argued that it was possible for me to steal from you if you still are in possession of the thing I supposedly stole. Let's be honest, anything that is on my computer is nothing but computer instructions. I told my computer to do something which it did.......And I just do not accept that it is stealing to tell my computer to do the same thing that you told yours to do.....just because you came up with those instructions first.

I hope they get back to working. Yes, I'm "that guy" who enjoyed reading their books. And if anybody here watches any TV shows on YouTube that have been uploaded by users, you have no legitimate complaint.

I do understand that marvel and dc have their own digital comics services. But to me, that's not the same. I want to see the original comic book. I want to see the goofy ads, the letter column, "Stan's Soapbox," all of that stuff.

And i just don't buy the idea that reading a comic book online is stealing. Until the digital age, nobody ever argued that it was possible for me to steal from you if you still are in possession of the thing I supposedly stole.

Tell it brother! :preach:

I just went to the URL without any luck.

It doesn't look good, still down this morning. Has there been any press about the site being taken down? I do recall reading somewhere about them having temporary storage and that they were planning on upgrading their servers. I wonder hm

:news:

I found this in another thread:

The site is in full operation, with increased speeds. There are plans to post 920 new series in the next couple weeks. We experienced a major hardware failure which resulted in the need for replacement parts which required special order and time to receive delivery of them. While waiting, we were forced to use backup servers which are far less responsive than our primary servers.

All, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

The staff at Oso Ifam, Inc.

Owners of the domain htmlComics.com

Yes I also saw that message....and as I recall, it was at the end of March that they said they were going to do it. And i found no reference, prior to their being taken down, that they had ever posted those new series.....So the timing could be right for them to be working on that right now. What concerns me is that I did a WHOIS on them, and under status it says something about uploading not allowed, transferring domain not allowed, maintenance not allowed.....something to that effect.