• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

State of the GA Market - 2010

62 posts in this topic

In the aftermath of the Heritage auction, I am curious to know how people perceive the current state of the GA market. I have the following impressions:

1. Key books are continuing to rise in value and are proving to be solid investments that are unaffected by poor economic times.

2. A very few non-key book niches (e.g., early actions/supermans, some Nedors, some Timelys) are currently holding and/or increasing their values.

3. Most other books are 25% - 40% off their previous highs. This is not surprising in view of the current economy, which has seen the stock market suffer similar losses.

In short, now appears to be a very good time to buy, but not to sell, most books. I feel sorry for Gary Keller. He had an amazing collection, but took a bath on many of his books in the recent auction.

What are others' thoughts?

It is certainly a buyers market for the most part.I wonder if the economy is driving down prices on GA material,or if it has more to do with the never ending run of auctions every month or so.

In the aftermath of the Heritage auction, I am curious to know how people perceive the current state of the GA market. I have the following impressions:

1. Key books are continuing to rise in value and are proving to be solid investments that are unaffected by poor economic times.

2. A very few non-key book niches (e.g., early actions/supermans, some Nedors, some Timelys) are currently holding and/or increasing their values.

3. Most other books are 25% - 40% off their previous highs. This is not surprising in view of the current economy, which has seen the stock market suffer similar losses.

In short, now appears to be a very good time to buy, but not to sell, most books. I feel sorry for Gary Keller. He had an amazing collection, but took a bath on many of his books in the recent auction.

What are others' thoughts?

From what I understand he'll have more books in the next Sig auction. He may want to rethink that

If it's not a key or a classic cover, it's down big. And I really don't think that's going to change. This hobby is now all about what shows through the plastic tomb. The separation between keys/classic-covers and the rest is growing. Dealers that don't want to discount non-keys are going to sit on that stuff for a long time.

If it's not a key or a classic cover, it's down big. And I really don't think that's going to change. This hobby is now all about what shows through the plastic tomb. The separation between keys/classic-covers and the rest is growing. Dealers that don't want to discount non-keys are going to sit on that stuff for a long time.

hm

I am scared to admit it but your very right. CGC has changed the game and while it vastly helps sales on some it hurts others.

I'm not even sure I would go this far, Peter. I think all we can conclude is that copies of THE TWO BOOKS that are among the very very best in existence will sell for a lot, and even then I would add the corollary "if generally comparable copies haven't been on the market in ages". Most other keys seem to be just holding steady at best (witness the MF 52 and the Paycopy MC #1), which I think can be attributed more than anything to overexposure in recent years.

Mega-keys that are fresh to market in terms of grade will continue to do well. For instance, if a Captain America #1 in 9.0 or better appeared, it would set a record.

I do too. When I see what he bought, I can't fault him at all in his selection and I actually thought to myself "There but for the grace of god (and lack of similar funds) go I." He wasn't someone who got suckered into buying a bunch of common mid-grade GA books. Maybe All-Flash wasn't the best GA title to go after, but at least they were fantastic copies of the run.

However, I can maybe fault him for some of the prices that he paid, but mostly I can fault him for the rushed and compressed circumstances of his sale. He's kind of like a repeat of JP, paying aggressively for the best and then selling it to quickly and too en masse.

I wonder if the economy is driving down prices on GA material,or if it has more to do with the never ending run of auctions every month or so.

Personally, I think it's the economy more than anything. Although the amount of auctions every couple months certainly does not give collectors (buyers) any sense of urgency.

This hobby is now all about what shows through the plastic tomb.

I agree to an extent on this, just look at the recent discussion in another thread over choosing a Tec #31 over a Bat #1. the Tec has a very classic cover, but Bat #1 is a very big key book!!

however, I do think that the deeper a collector gets into the books themselves and the history behind them. that the stories do have a factor on desirability. besides, classic covers have always commanded a premium even before CGC.

I've found that there is no shortage of buyers for GA if the books are priced right. I'm not saying at GPA or Overstreet - but at a price that a collector will say, "I'll buy that" as opposed to "let me think about it."

I'm not saying at GPA or Overstreet - but at a price that a collector will say, "I'll buy that" as opposed to "let me think about it."

I'm seeing a lot of "Are you kidding me?"

I assume you mean as in too high. Yes, some things never change.

But my post is positive - there is demand for raw Golden Age comics that don't cost an arm and leg. Dealers have to ask themselves what's more important - making a sale or hauling the stuff to the next show. I've always been a seller - just ask the dealers who swoop down on my booth during set up.

I agree to an extent on this, just look at the recent discussion in another thread over choosing a Tec #31 over a Bat #1. the Tec has a very classic cover, but Bat #1 is a very big key book!!

however, I do think that the deeper a collector gets into the books themselves and the history behind them. that the stories do have a factor on desirability. besides, classic covers have always commanded a premium even before CGC.

I don't own too many GA books with a cover I don't like. :)

I agree with this logic 100%. There was a super high grade book in the Comiclink auction that just ended from a title I am focussing on that I did not bid on just because I really don't like the cover. The book was a 9.6 that went for a few hundred below OS 9.2 and I haven't regretted or even thought about that book until reading this thread. Collect what you like and you will like what you collect. (thumbs u

I have a tough question for you - What is you single favorite cover?

hm

hm

I suspect he's partial to Supes #1 these days.

hm

that is probably too general a question for me to answer...All Select 1 is in my top 3 for sure though :grin: Top Timely cover: probably AS 1 and Marvel 9, Top DC cover: Tec 31

One can collect books based on A) cover alone B) cover and interior story/art C) interior only D) scarcity...I rarely buy books for "C". Normally, "A" and/or "B" apply (thumbs u

hm

I suspect he's partial to Supes #1 these days.

:acclaim: wouldn't mind having one!