• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what's in those backpacks?

24 posts in this topic

Rant:

I went to the Toronto Comic Con today and inched my way through the world's narrowest aisleways.

It's probably great that so many people were interested in buying moderns by the hundreds but it brought back memories of last time I was there.*

Do people come to these events with their backpacks already overflowing with stuff?

The backpacks are always huge and rounded in ways that don't suggest bundles of comics.

Is it a contest to see who can increase their corporeal mass the most?

* ... when I felt a great deal of empathy for a woman attempting to make her way through the aisles in a wheelchair with her head at backpack height.

When I have a backpack, I have Priority Boxes in there filled with thin bubble wrap sheets, and extra bags/boards/mylars. This allows me to keep books in generally upright and nice condition. (Top loaders are also great for that.)

Rant:

I went to the Toronto Comic Con today and inched my way through the world's narrowest aisleways.

It's probably great that so many people were interested in buying moderns by the hundreds but it brought back memories of last time I was there.*

Do people come to these events with their backpacks already overflowing with stuff?

The backpacks are always huge and rounded in ways that don't suggest bundles of comics.

Is it a contest to see who can increase their corporeal mass the most?

* ... when I felt a great deal of empathy for a woman attempting to make her way through the aisles in a wheelchair with her head at backpack height.

I ranted about these Nerdy Ninja Turtles and their backpacks at this con last year.

Its a pretty small place, but honestly, I think they would fill any space provided with them stupid things. If they hit you in the face just give it a yank to get their attention and demand an apology.

They should be force to wear them on their chests where they obstruct themselves more than those that get hit by them when they move around.

One reason is there are no lockers in the vicinity to store stuff for those visiting town, although it still is no excuse for obstructing others with them.

They should all wear their backpacks the way some people wear babies. Once they have the suckers on their chest, they'll cut down on content :P

I usually have my makeup in someone's bag for touchups midway through the day. And my camera. Otherwise, I use bags for comics. Never my own though...somehow I always am the one having other people carry my stuff :D

I use a messenger tote; I worry too much about someone being able to slip into a backpack compartment and grab something. Side tote? Never leaves my sight.

(thumbs u

I typically use my Pearl Jam "gig bag" or whatever they call it. Carrying on the side not only never leaves your site, but it's also easy to slide around so that you can move through crowds w/o hitting other people. I like the PJ bag over like a normal laptop bag b/c the top unzips rather than folds over. having to flip the flap back and forth like on most computer bags sucks.

as for what's in them? I don't usually bring anything with me unless I'm trying to trade something (which is rare, b/c everything I have is suck) or if it's one of those shows where I know there's a good side room for smoking. But that doesn't really take up much room...

Sadly, some should be filled with personal hygiene products. :P

Why!

Its not like some geeks will ever talk to a woman

Specially not me. I just can't seem to get my courage up to have a conversation with the Estrogen :(