• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Us Your silver age "hard to find in high grade" books!

1,000 posts in this topic

hoppy131.jpg

Wow! That's the first time I've even seen a DC Hopalong Cassidy comic. I didn't even know the title existed!

Good thing I hate Hopalong Cassidy so that I'm not troubled by a compulsion to acquire any for my collection.

;)

Not only did it exist, there was a Hoppy greytone. Sure you don't need one? :baiting:

Hoppy124.jpg

I'll take that Hoppy Greytone!

How can you not love a greytone combined with a hot pink logo? Actually these later Hoppy's are the only ones I find remotely interesting - because I hate photo covers ( though I can spare a little love for Rifleman #10 - but I'd never keep a copy)

I share you're attraction to that particular classic. (thumbs u

Rifleman10.jpg

Here's a notoriously tough key that I'm thrilled to own. Only 20 copies better currently and just 1 9.4 out there!! :o

HULK180.jpg

Haven't you posted that enough :baiting:

And one that is also a good read (thumbs u

a difficult title to find in nice shape:

r1956a.jpg

hoppy131.jpg

Wow! That's the first time I've even seen a DC Hopalong Cassidy comic. I didn't even know the title existed!

Good thing I hate Hopalong Cassidy so that I'm not troubled by a compulsion to acquire any for my collection.

;)

Not only did it exist, there was a Hoppy greytone. Sure you don't need one? :baiting:

Hoppy124.jpg

I'll take that Hoppy Greytone!

How can you not love a greytone combined with a hot pink logo? Actually these later Hoppy's are the only ones I find remotely interesting - because I hate photo covers ( though I can spare a little love for Rifleman #10 - but I'd never keep a copy)

I tend to agree, but here's one that adorns the photo with cool illos.

hoppy88.jpg

Okay, here's one I haven't posted alot and is a beast in HG. This is the sole current census leader, trailed by a single 8.0 copy.

tta2.jpg

I also had to trade a sizable chunk of my pre hero JIMs to get it, but would do it again in a second. :cloud9:

Okay, here's one I haven't posted alot and is a beast in HG. This is the sole current census leader, trailed by a single 8.0 copy.

tta2.jpg

I also had to trade a sizable chunk of my pre hero JIMs to get it, but would do it again in a second. :cloud9:

awesome book!

Awesome books Mick! I bet quite a few of war books would falll into this category?

I've been thinking about this whole "hard-to-find" thing anecdotally. I've sifted the boxes at comic conventions, done my eBay searches, scoped out all the usual auction sites (Clink, Heritage, etc.), frequented dealers' websites, swapped stuff with friends for 25 years, bought stuff on these boards, and combed through collections of fellow war collectors. I can say for certain that there are issues I've NEVER seen in grade (not even in friends' collections), but if they're not in my collection, then revealing them would be a bit counterproductive for obvious reasons. I still have a LOT of holes in my collection that need to be filled.

However, the census offers the closest thing to hard data (and I use that term loosely for myriad reasons) on the existence of issues. There's something a bit barfy about using the census to talk about it, especially if you grudgingly drink from the CGC Koolaide like I do. In referencing the census, I am not trying to dismiss the opinions of those who determine the rarity of issues anecdotally. I'm right there with you, but the census is just another way to look at it.

Disclaimer complete. Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'll proceed.

I looked at the census for a lot of war books, and the high grade copies--if there WERE high-grade copies--on virtually all of the 10¢ war books hovered in the 7.5-8.5 range. . .usually a single highest-grade copy in 8.0 or 8.5. There are rare anomalies with 9.2s and 9.4s, but none of that should come as a surprise. What IS interesting is how few TOTAL copies there are on the census. I suppose copies of most of the 10¢ war books in 5.0 or less aren't going to be valued high enough to convince people that slabbing is worthwhile since they'd be worth less than the slabbing, but in the 6.0-7.0 range, there just aren't very many copies. . .and that IS a range that would get a high enough dollar to make the slabbing worthwhile (assuming people are slabbing to flip eventually). A LOT of war books have zero copies in that range.

Anyway, I went through and noticed a number of the ones with minimal copies on the census that I already have scans of from my collection (in most cases--raw), so here are a few. The ones I'm posting are NOT part of the census.

There are only 2 on the census with a highest at 7.5:

aamow80.jpg

sole census highest and only six grade. I looked for years for a nice copy of this book:

jo31cgc.jpg

Danny, that is just a beautiful book in every way. Love the colors. You have such incredible books and I am in awe of your patience for working on them for so long.

This one is pretty hard to find in HG. Had to have it when it went up for sale.

Maneely is one of my favorites. I just found out recently that Joe is laid to rest in the same cemetery as my grandmother near Philadelphia.

photo BLACKKN1_zpsd8cb28eb.jpg