• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Us Your silver age "hard to find in high grade" books!

1,000 posts in this topic

I guess it would depend on one’s definitions of “hard to find” and “high grade”.

IF one uses the current CGC census as an indicator of supply (and that can be argued, as those numbers can of course change over time, plus with some comic issues, someone owning a high grade may choose not to slab it because the book’s value may not be high enough to justify slabbing or that they prefer their books raw), then:

JIM 94 has 31 in 8.0 and above, 14 in 9.0 and above;

TOS 44 has 37 in 8.0 and above, 18 in 9.0 and above;

Groovy 3 has 4 in 9.0 and above.

Compare that with SOME books posted in this thread that have ONLY ONE slab in 8.0 and above in the current census.

So then does one look at the “demand” for each of these issues individually to determine “hard to find”, as well as current and/or past availability?

In general, how would one define “hard to find”? Based only on availability? Or on demand/desirability? Or both in some way???

It's been said that if you have enough money you could purchase a complete Marvel SuperHero inventory in a few months.

For many of these DC titles the only way you could obtain them is if you convinced Hepcat to sell his collection to you!

It's been said that if you have enough money you could purchase a complete Marvel SuperHero inventory in a few months.

In high grade, there are truly tough superhero Marvels to find, at least in a year in which Schmell isn't selling his entire SA Marvel inventory. While we all know they're much more common than the 10 cent Superhero books and the war, monster, and mystery titles, the census also overestimates the number of high grade copies, as between Schmell and Brulato alone single copies have been submitted multiple times to CGC.

My apologies if some feel the tough Marvels aren't tough enough to merit posting in this thread. It's worth remembering we do already have a separate thread for posting 10 cent cover price SA DCs and pre-hero that excludes superhero Marvel books.

Their 'toughness' certainly holds up against Dell comics that were well represented among the Random House file copies.

Fair enough.

My apologies if some feel the tough Marvels aren't tough enough to merit posting in this thread.

Rather than arguing about what's tough which we all know is a relative term, I say post away and let the readership sort them out!

:)

In high grade, there are truly tough superhero Marvels to find, at least in a year in which Schmell isn't selling his entire SA Marvel inventory. While we all know they're much more common than the 10 cent Superhero books and the war, monster, and mystery titles, the census also overestimates the number of high grade copies, as between Schmell and Brulato alone single copies have been submitted multiple times to CGC.

My apologies if some feel the tough Marvels aren't tough enough to merit posting in this thread. It's worth remembering we do already have a separate thread for posting 10 cent cover price SA DCs and pre-hero that excludes superhero Marvel books.

Bob, you have a great collection. I don't mind you showing them in this thread.

Yippeee! HG silver DC's................Whoopieee

:whee:

Oh no, all you paper snobs close your eyes for this one.

Great books. My BB25 submission came back with CR/OW pages also. I was so embarrassed I deslabbed it. BB25 is a really tough book in grade. I think the highest graded is 9.2.

Please continue posting Namisgr, I love seeing high grade Marvels, and I agree with Mick, it is a relative term. Bet no one thing ST 110 is an easy book to find in grade?

I do like this thread for the specificly hard to find in grade 10 centers as that is the focus of this thread versus an all purpose any 10 center thread.

I just dont understand why Mick is posting all those common war books, wasn't there a warehouse find of those? lol:jokealert:

Yippeee! HG silver DC's................Whoopieee

Well I for one appreciate the trouble you're taking to find and acquire these comics to post for our viewing pleasure in this thread.

My BB25 submission came back with CR/OW pages also. I was so embarrassed I deslabbed it.

Yes. I don't see that you had any alternative.

;)