• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Us Your silver age "hard to find in high grade" books!

1,000 posts in this topic

Those JO's and Lois's are sweet, dont think they are so hard to find in high grade as a lot of the other books in this thread, but nice copies anyways!

You know, your're right. In my exuberance I lost track of the theme of the thread.

At least they weren't Marvels ! 'Hard to find' and Marvel are mutually exclusive.

Those JO's and Lois's are sweet, dont think they are so hard to find in high grade as a lot of the other books in this thread, but nice copies anyways!

You know, your're right. In my exuberance I lost track of the theme of the thread.

At least they weren't Marvels ! 'Hard to find' and Marvel are mutually exclusive.

:gossip:

Groovy3.jpg

I know they are. There certainly aren't any high grade copies available for sale at the moment. If you've got nicer copies in your collection, I'd enjoy seeing them.

Their 'toughness' certainly holds up against Dell comics that were well represented among the Random House file copies.

Besides, there's already a thread titled 'Show us your 10 centers' available for posting those hard to find pre-1961 books.

I guess it would depend on one’s definitions of “hard to find” and “high grade”.

IF one uses the current CGC census as an indicator of supply (and that can be argued, as those numbers can of course change over time, plus with some comic issues, someone owning a high grade may choose not to slab it because the book’s value may not be high enough to justify slabbing or that they prefer their books raw), then:

JIM 94 has 31 in 8.0 and above, 14 in 9.0 and above;

TOS 44 has 37 in 8.0 and above, 18 in 9.0 and above;

Groovy 3 has 4 in 9.0 and above.

Compare that with SOME books posted in this thread that have ONLY ONE slab in 8.0 and above in the current census.

So then does one look at the “demand” for each of these issues individually to determine “hard to find”, as well as current and/or past availability?

In general, how would one define “hard to find”? Based only on availability? Or on demand/desirability? Or both in some way???

:gossip:

Groovy3.jpg

I love this three run esoteric title. I've have raw copies of all three but none are slabbed.

This 9.6 is sick. I covet it badly. We talked about a sale once but couldn't agree on price. LMK if you are getting sick of it (lol) !

'Hard to find' and superhero Marvel are mutually exclusive.

Modified very slightly for greater accuracy.

:/

You're right ! PreHero Marvel are tough but with the recent interest and associated price increases of PreHero Marvel they don't seem as rare anymore. You never used to see them up for auction, not so now. Just look at any Clink auction of late, plenty of PreHero Marvel. I still like them though !