• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unpublished Suspense Comics Cover?

15 posts in this topic

Hey to you golden age collectors. I have been out of comic collecting for quite a while, but when I was involved I was quite interested in the titles from Continental Comics and/or Holyoke, prior to that it was Et-Es-Go. Of particular interest were the Suspense and Terrific Comics titles. This is where I'm asking you guys for a little help. Back in the day before we had the internet a lot of books were posted in the classifieds in a trade newspaper, the name of which escapes me right now. It was in this publication I think that someone posted an unpublished cover to Suspense Comics in an auction, this was a cover proof and not original art. This cover proof featured the prominent title/logo of the book and an iron octopus. This was an L.B. Cole cover. So this was probably in the early 1990s'. I was hoping that someone recalls this and that I might be able to get a color copy of this cover proof. I tracked down the cover proof to Suspense #4 and although it is probably not worth much in collector dollars, it is a very cool thing to have up on the wall. Any help would be appreciated. Email me at ***barnharp@amgen.com*** if you can give me any information. Thanks.

Trade newspaper above was called Comic Buyers Guide I believe.

Another edit to this post. I looked through my old files and found the source of the cover proof I am looking for. It was out of a Wooley's auction in 1983. There were several L.B. Cole covers proofs, one was this Suspense Comics proof the Octopus that I would like to find and there was also a proof of Terrific Comics #3, which I believe was L.B. Cole's first comic cover.

You'll want to email your email address and disguise it to barnharp at amgen.com or something similar simply because some software out there can scrape your email and fill your inbox with garbage.

Welcome!

Hey to you golden age collectors. I have been out of comic collecting for quite a while, but when I was involved I was quite interested in the titles from Continental Comics, prior to that it was Et-Es-Go. Of particular interest were the Suspense and Terrific Comics titles. This is where I'm asking you guys for a little help. Back in the day before we had the internet a lot of books were posted in the classifieds in a trade newspaper, the name of which escapes me right now. It was in this publication that someone posted an unpublished cover to Suspense Comics, this was a cover proof and not original art. This cover proof featured the prominent title/log of the book and an iron octopus. This was an L.B. Cole cover. So this was probably in the early 1990s'. I was hoping that someone recalls this and that I might be able to get a color copy of this cover proof. I tracked down the cover proof to Suspense #4 and although it is probably not worth much in collector dollars, it is a very cool think to have up on the wall. Any help would be appriciated. Email me at ***barnharp@amgen.com*** if you can give me any information. Thanks.

I was going to rep LBCole and sell his original commissions right around 1980 or so when we had him as a guest at a convention I was involved with (we also had most of the EC artists and Stan Lee - it was called Dimension Convention).

he had lots of proofs of very many unpublished comics that he was involved in from the 40s-50s period.

I may actually have a book of photographs somewhere. probably can't find it easily. But if I do, I'm sure to have a photo of every one.

Hey to you golden age collectors. I have been out of comic collecting for quite a while, but when I was involved I was quite interested in the titles from Continental Comics and/or Holyoke, prior to that it was Et-Es-Go. Of particular interest were the Suspense and Terrific Comics titles. This is where I'm asking you guys for a little help. Back in the day before we had the internet a lot of books were posted in the classifieds in a trade newspaper, the name of which escapes me right now. It was in this publication I think that someone posted an unpublished cover to Suspense Comics in an auction, this was a cover proof and not original art. This cover proof featured the prominent title/logo of the book and an iron octopus. This was an L.B. Cole cover. So this was probably in the early 1990s'. I was hoping that someone recalls this and that I might be able to get a color copy of this cover proof. I tracked down the cover proof to Suspense #4 and although it is probably not worth much in collector dollars, it is a very cool think to have up on the wall. Any help would be appreciated. Email me at ***barnharp@amgen.com*** if you can give me any information. Thanks.

Phil, welcome to the Boards. I hope that you hang around.

Peter

Hey to you golden age collectors. I have been out of comic collecting for quite a while, but when I was involved I was quite interested in the titles from Continental Comics and/or Holyoke, prior to that it was Et-Es-Go. Of particular interest were the Suspense and Terrific Comics titles. This is where I'm asking you guys for a little help. Back in the day before we had the internet a lot of books were posted in the classifieds in a trade newspaper, the name of which escapes me right now. It was in this publication I think that someone posted an unpublished cover to Suspense Comics in an auction, this was a cover proof and not original art. This cover proof featured the prominent title/logo of the book and an iron octopus. This was an L.B. Cole cover. So this was probably in the early 1990s'. I was hoping that someone recalls this and that I might be able to get a color copy of this cover proof. I tracked down the cover proof to Suspense #4 and although it is probably not worth much in collector dollars, it is a very cool think to have up on the wall. Any help would be appreciated. Email me at ***barnharp@amgen.com*** if you can give me any information. Thanks.

Phil, welcome to the Boards. I hope that you hang around.

Peter

Ditto! I learned about LB Cole and the Continentals from conversations with as well as your CBM articles.

I remember you! We did a fair amount of business back in the day

Welcome Phil :applause:

Bill

yep, I used to get it all the time :applause:

Here is a scan of the Suspense #4 cover proof. Compare this to the cover you have normally seen and this is slightly larger with respect to all of the margins. Cole's signature was cut off all of the news stand copies, but not on the cover proof.

Suspense%204%20Proof%20%285.6MB%29.jpg

Here is a scan of the Suspense #4 cover proof. Compare this to the cover you have normally seen and this is slightly larger with respect to all of the margins. Cole's signature was cut off all of the news stand copies, but not on the cover proof.

Suspense%204%20Proof%20%285.6MB%29.jpg2198104213_dc3bc3c548.jpg

I thought the copy I used to own had the Cole signature but I guess you were right.

Hey to you golden age collectors. I have always been quite interested in the titles from Continental Comics and/or Holyoke, prior to that it was Et-Es-Go. Of particular interest were the Suspense and Terrific Comics titles.

This is where I'm asking you guys for a little help. Back in the day before we had the internet a lot of books were posted in the classifieds in a trade newspaper, the Comic Buyers Guide. Back in 1983 the then well know name of Wooley's had one of his auctions. This was to my knowledge the only printed version of the cover proof that I have been looking for. It was a cover proof to an unpublished cover to Suspense Comics. It feature an iron tentacled octopus wreaking havoc down a city street with destruction and carnage in its wake. This was produced sometime between Suspense Comics #3 or #4. The Wooley's auction was in 1983, so think of some old time collector that would have this squirreled away in his collection and may be long forgotten. It has to be a comic collector, who else would buy a cover proof from Wooley's via the Comic Book Marketplace?

I checked with Wooly and any sales records that he had from that time have long since been destroyed. Any help would be appreciated in tracking down this artifact. Thanks. This is a big bump from the original posting in 2010, but hey, you never know……..

I don't know who has it, but I downloaded a copy of a pic of it when it was posted on the boards a few years ago:

2mx2w7n.jpg

That is a bad-azz cover... would love to see the color version (or at least a higher res image).

If that was an actual published comic book, can you imagine how much this "classic cover" would go for?

I don't know who has it, but I downloaded a copy of a pic of it when it was posted on the boards a few years ago:

2mx2w7n.jpg

That is a bad-azz cover... would love to see the color version (or at least a higher res image).

If that was an actual published comic book, can you imagine how much this "classic cover" would go for?

agreed!! that is AWESOME!! it's Monstro from Tales of SUSPENSE #8!! and he's made it out of the sea!! :headbang: