• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your OFF-WHITE TO WHITE and WHITE Pagers!

561 posts in this topic

reminds me of the "which would you pick" we did about af15 a few weeks ago...

a visually stunning cgc 6.5 with cr/ow pages I would take over a marvel chipped cgc 6.5 (or even 7.5 as was that example) white pq 100% of the time...

why, because the non chipped copy looked superior and the pq difference is so minimal, that I just couldn't have an "ugly" looking copy if a prettier one was available....

now, many GA books I have are chipped and cracked and generally broken because in most cases, there is no choice!...

but in the SA, we do have a choice, so we have to weigh all factors in when making that choice (thumbs u

Just like those 9.8 that are very miswrap. Those are considered 9.6 to me. When it come to purchasing comics for my collection, I would like to have both the eye appeal and the PQ. Sometimes, you just have to settle with what you can find. My Action 7 is only the cover and the Superman story. I'm happy because it is unrestored and it has its' cover.

a visually stunning cgc 6.5 with cr/ow pages I would take over a marvel chipped cgc 6.5 (or even 7.5 as was that example) white pq 100% of the time...

why, because the non chipped copy looked superior and the pq difference is so minimal, that I just couldn't have an "ugly" looking copy if a prettier one was available....

now, many GA books I have are chipped and cracked and generally broken because in most cases, there is no choice!...

but in the SA, we do have a choice, so we have to weigh all factors in when making that choice (thumbs u

Just like those 9.8 that are very miswrap. Those are considered 9.6 to me. When it come to purchasing comics for my collection, I would like to have both the eye appeal and the PQ. Sometimes, you just have to settle with what you can find. My Action 7 is only the cover and the Superman story. I'm happy because it is unrestored and it has its' cover.

a great piece of americana!

but that brings up a good point that sc221959 made... market perception is that a "white" pager is superior to a cr/ow pager (though, they maybe on diff ends of the same grade spectrum, with the cr/ow pager actually superior in "some" cases...not most, but probably some)

and so, given that line of thought, the general market might value a white page cgc designation as more valuable than a cr/ow pager cgc designation...

but each copy has to be evaluated on its own (thumbs u

20 yrs ago, PQ would have mattered and priced accordingly. With slabs, it's a non event to many slabbers.

I still enjoy PQ although it's getting expensive to deslab and slab.

:slapfight:

a great piece of americana!

(thumbs u

but that brings up a good point that sc221959 made... market perception is that a "white" pager is superior to a cr/ow pager (though, they maybe on diff ends of the same grade spectrum, with the cr/ow pager actually superior in "some" cases...not most, but probably some)

and so, given that line of thought, the general market might value a white page cgc designation as more valuable than a cr/ow pager cgc designation...

20 yrs ago, PQ would have mattered and priced accordingly. With slabs, it's a non event to many slabbers.

I enjoy going to my books many times before it gets graded. Just love "feeling" the paper and the "smell" of vintage material. I agree, it's getting expensive to enjoy the PQ by deslab and slab.

I enjoy going to my books many times before it gets graded. Just love "feeling" the paper and the "smell" of vintage material. I agree, it's getting expensive to enjoy the PQ by deslab and slab.

I hear you Rich. Nothing turns me on MORE than to snuggle up to an ultra key on a cold wintery night and soak up the inky aroma page by page...well, there is ONE more thing that supercedes that...

:)

but you enjoy it, and that is what counts (thumbs u

I hear you Rich. Nothing turns me on MORE than to snuggle up to an ultra key on a cold wintery night and soak up the inky aroma page by page...well, there is ONE more thing that supercedes that...

:)

:o

I also LOVE cr/ow paged comics, and I would love to issue a challenge (friendly in nature, of course) to all the OW and better "only" collectors...

and I only do this, because we have done it once before...

I had 10 cracked out cgc comics...3 of which were cr/ow...3 were ow, 3 were ow/w and one was W as designated by cgc...

do you know, that of the 15 folks that tried to pick them, only 1 got 8 of the 10 right, and 5 of the 15 got 8 out of 10 WRONG (and trust me, that is hard to do) lol

my point is that while PQ looks nice on a label, it really is a matter of subjective opinion :foryou:

While the grade looks nice on a label, it really is a matter of subjective opinion :foryou:

I would prefer CGC to get better with regards to their consistency of pq and I have definitely seen cr-ow label books that I would be happy to own. Many cr-ow's, however, I would not and since I don't know the pq until I crack it I prefer to play it conservative. As far as cr-ow pages possibly being "fresher" than white pages, it is possible but my in my experience quite an uncommon circumstance.

I also LOVE cr/ow paged comics, and I would love to issue a challenge (friendly in nature, of course) to all the OW and better "only" collectors...

I had 10 cracked out cgc comics...3 of which were cr/ow...3 were ow, 3 were ow/w and one was W as designated by cgc...

do you know, that of the 15 folks that tried to pick them, only 1 got 8 of the 10 right, and 5 of the 15 got 8 out of 10 WRONG (and trust me, that is hard to do) lol

my point is that while PQ looks nice on a label, it really is a matter of subjective opinion :foryou:

While the grade looks nice on a label, it really is a matter of subjective opinion :foryou:

I would prefer CGC to get better with regards to their consistency of pq and I have definitely seen cr-ow label books that I would be happy to own. Many cr-ow's, however, I would not and since I don't know the pq until I crack it I prefer to play it conservative. As far as cr-ow pages possibly being "fresher" than white pages, it is possible but my in my experience quite an uncommon circumstance.

you definitely have some killer books and all "open" ! I look to oakman's example as a copy that got cr/ow but in his opinion, is visually better... I had 3 SA flash books that were all "white-whiteish" in page appearance, and got cr/ow from cgc (those were 3 I used that folks kept picking "w" or "ow/w" when in reality, they were cr/ow due to a little stiffness, I suspect)...

but, subjectivity is the key!

you definitely have some killer books and all "open" ! I look to oakman's example as a copy that got cr/ow but in his opinion, is visually better... I had 3 SA flash books that were all "white-whiteish" in page appearance, and got cr/ow from cgc (those were 3 I used that folks kept picking "w" or "ow/w" when in reality, they were cr/ow due to a little stiffness, I suspect)...

but, subjectivity is the key!

There have been several examples of where I compared the pages of two copies prior to their CGC submission where I know which book had better pages only to see the lesser book come back with better pages on the label. As I crack my CGC purchases, I also see inconsistency there in how they designate pq so I'm more thinking that the variance that you saw is due to "inconsistency" than it is due to "stiffness." Further, the colors that we see are partly due to the ambient light which can affect our view of pq vs. the way that CGC saw the book. It's important to view books in the same light that provides an accurate representation of sunlight, which has a balanced full spectrum of colors.

Anyway getting back to the original point of the thread, I can't recall a SA book with CGC-designated white pages to contribute but I'm pretty confident that these Salidas would get that designation.

OFF32.jpg

GIC47.jpg

As illustrated by these nice Salidas, I think OW/W to WP is a good indicator of the overall state of preservation of the entire book (color, gloss, paper quality) for silver and bronze age books as the quality of the exterior/interior cover and interior pages are usually fairly uniform. As opposed to the nice colors on these WPers, many CR or CR/OW books display discoloration of the cover (esp on the edges).

Conversely, golden age books almost have 3 distinct zones - exterior cover, interior cover, and pages - and the paper/page quality on all 3 can vary tremendously. I've picked up a couple nice Four Colors lately with great looking (bright) covers and nice pages, but the interior covers are almost tan! This is also evident on Timelys, with the ubiquitous "Timely tan".

Here's my favorite white pager. :headbang:

hulk1.jpg

As illustrated by these nice Salidas, I think OW/W to WP is a good indicator of the overall state of preservation of the entire book (color, gloss, paper quality) for silver and bronze age books as the quality of the exterior/interior cover and interior pages are usually fairly uniform. As opposed to the nice colors on these WPers, many CR or CR/OW books display discoloration of the cover (esp on the edges).

Conversely, golden age books almost have 3 distinct zones - exterior cover, interior cover, and pages - and the paper/page quality on all 3 can vary tremendously. I've picked up a couple nice Four Colors lately with great looking (bright) covers and nice pages, but the interior covers are almost tan! This is also evident on Timelys, with the ubiquitous "Timely tan".

hulk1.jpg

nice

hulk1.jpg

nice

Yeah! :headbang:

hulk1.jpg

nice

Yeah! :headbang:

Simply beautiful :cloud9:

hulk1.jpg

nice

Very nice...What would you grade that? I always wonder how you guys get books like that... my copy looks no where close to that beauty, I'm just glad to own a copy period...

Here's my favorite white pager.

hulk1.jpg

I agree drbanner. I BET that book has very little toning (transfer stain) on the inside cover. I can just SEE the white outlines of the PQ. The cover whites are WHITE and the yellows are bright and canary-ish!! How much, you rascal !!

:baiting:

:headbang:

This copy is slabbed, and it's a 6.0 White pager with the main defect being the tear on drbanner's belt buckle. I bought it raw years ago on ebay. :cloud9: