• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Out of the loop - any suggestions?

27 posts in this topic

Hey, I've been out of the reading and collecting loop for about 2 years or so, so basically, other than catching up on daredevils mid 80 on up. what's good? If it helps i usually prefer the superhero titles (daredevil, flash, batman and green lantern) but am open to pretty much anything.

Any suggestions as to what might be worth picking up? and also, if you could, recommend a site that does monthly subscriptions and will send them in good shape? this is important as I order 2 of each pulls, one to read one to keep.

dcbservice.com is what a lot of us use... Seems like most everyone is pretty happy with it. (I am)

assume you're reading DD now? And the bendis -> Brubaker runs prior to this were great.

Savage Dragon is one of my favorite super-hero-ish books right now... if you picked up from Back in Blue forward, you should be good.

Hopefully Captain America is getting back on course after that crapfest that was "Reborn"

Not super-hero, really, but I always have to suggest Proof. The 4th trade should be solicited next month.

I'm also really looking forward to the new Jim Shooter series of Gold Key characters forthcoming from Dark Horse.

ok... so maybe not a ton of help... I don't read too terribly many super hero books, but I know you'll get some good answers from other soon. :)

I intend to hit the crappy lcs up for the DD's I'm missing, or might just get trades and then pick the issues up later as i am dying to read them. Never read any Savage Dragon or Proof, but will have to consider picking up a couple trades and give them a whirl.

Iron Man

Thor

Spiderman

Daredevil

Green Lantern, but honesty majority of DC titles are utter mess

I also been enjoying Lone Ranger, not superhero obviously, but good none the less.

Also use DCBS service, with the discounts u cannot really person_without_enough_empathy to much

Invincible - This is absolutely the best super hero book on the market. Period. Try the first hardcover or the first 3 trades. Read it all in order.

Daredevil - This is still good.

Green Lantern - If you liked this in the past, you'll love it now. Go back to at least the Sinestro Corps War books.

Amazing Spider-man - This is going to be tough to jump into now, but it's the best it has ever been. Pick up #617 as a sample. It's an over sized stand alone issue that reads like a trade and is fantastic.

Dynamo 5 - Easily my favorite super team book. Lots of action and lots of drama.

I read maybe one or two more super hero books, but the ones above are the only super hero books I'd recommend.

If you are venturing outside the world of super heros, that's where most of the good books are. As mentioned already, Proof rules your face. So does The Walking Dead, Scalped, Sweet Tooth and Chew. All the first trades are cheaply priced.

What are the shipping rates for dcbs?

Once per month for $5.95 flat rate.

Every other week I think is double that.

Weekly, I think is $5.95 * 3.

Everything comes UPS and well packed. The rate is fair.

I've been using them for several months. They are great.

I think you can still get in an order for the February previews if you hurry today. I think the March books should show up tonight.

Batman

Batman & Robin

Chew

Walking Dead

Greek Street

Lock & Key

Batman may take a bit of catching up but it's well worth it (thumbs u

I cannot agree with Batman, no offense boozad, It seems like since Grant Morris touched the title it became mess. I know alot of people recomend Batman and the brat Robin, but I have to recomend staying away from it. I do read Batman in hopes of it improving when they bring back BW, Dumped Tec, right after RIP

I cannot agree with Batman, no offense boozad, It seems like since Grant Morris touched the title it became mess. I know alot of people recomend Batman and the brat Robin, but I have to recomend staying away from it. I do read Batman in hopes of it improving when they bring back BW, Dumped Tec, right after RIP

I have to agree here as well. I would wait until after the Bruce Wayne returns mini and then see where the title is going.

For non-super-hero, I would recommend Fables or Transmetropolian - both great reads.

For super-hero, Johns' GL is one heck of a read or Invinicibles.

Seriously? I honestly think since Neil Gaiman's two-parter that Batman has been extremely well-written. I just finished two of the issues I needed to catch up on, and I think Tony Daniel is handling Grayson as Batman really well, and thw whole Penguin/Black Mask gang war is simmering along nicely.

Each to their own I suppose, but being a Batfan, this is the most I've enjoyed the title since Doug Moench and Kelley Jones were on board.

And Bruce will be back soon :cloud9:

Agreed on the Batmans. I stopped when I couldn't make sense of the Morrison stuff. The 1st part of the Gaiman story was too corny for me to pick up the second issue. If you aren't a big time Batman fan, you might want to stay away.

In fact, since I dropped Flash, I'm done with all DC super hero stuff. Aside from GL (which I've sampled here and there), it's all pretty bad.

If you want good Batman stuff, instead of the Morrison stuff, pick up the Detective issues by Dini. Those are good clean Batman stories.

Agreed on the Batmans. I stopped when I couldn't make sense of the Morrison stuff. The 1st part of the Gaiman story was too corny for me to pick up the second issue. If you aren't a big time Batman fan, you might want to stay away.

In fact, since I dropped Flash, I'm done with all DC super hero stuff. Aside from GL (which I've sampled here and there), it's all pretty bad.

If you want good Batman stuff, instead of the Morrison stuff, pick up the Detective issues by Dini. Those are good clean Batman stories.

A lot of truth here. Though I haven't read #6 yet, Rebirth is probably the worst story Johns' has done.

Batman hasn't been bad. I thought the last issue was pretty interesting. But Morrison's run was atrocious.

Pat

Batman hasn't been bad. I thought the last issue was pretty interesting. But Morrison's run was atrocious.

I couldn't argue with that.