• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS5 Record in the making

160 posts in this topic

I have problems letting go of them too. But watching the census shoot up on these bronze books makes it that much easier. I probably won't sell my MS 5 though as it is simply too hard to find the right one.

Brian

yeah... supply has increased, but demand has kept up for the most part or even nosed ahead on some. There still seems to be many new bidders every time I look. I meet and work with many new bronze collectors that seem to be dormant collectors shaken out of hibernation.

Congrats! I hadn't noticed, but it suits you .. you damn trouble-maker! Admit it! in grade school as soon as 2 guys had a mild disagreement... you were there chanting "FIGHT..FIGHT!" right in their faces.

How many suspensions were you responsible for?

It's true, it's true!!! 27_laughing.gif

I used to be quite active in those flame fests but I've adopted the new strategy of fanning the flames, then sitting back & watching the show. Much better this way! popcorn.gif

Congrats! I hadn't noticed, but it suits you .. you damn trouble-maker! Admit it! in grade school as soon as 2 guys had a mild disagreement... you were there chanting "FIGHT..FIGHT!" right in their faces.

How many suspensions were you responsible for?

It's true, it's true!!! 27_laughing.gif

I used to be quite active in those flame fests but I've adopted the new strategy of fanning the flames, then sitting back & watching the show. Much better this way! popcorn.gif

PORK BARRELLER!

maybe I can now make my money back from the raw 9.0 that I picked up last year....and yes I said raw 9.0. If CGC isn't going to put the letter grade on a book, then I have every right to use numbers as I see fit.

My $300 investment in a MS #5 CGC 9.4 3-4 years back doesn't seem so stupid now. acclaim.gifcloud9.gif

Assuming of course, that you sell while the market is at a bubble-high, and not hold it for the inevitable fall back to reality.

That's the problem with being a collector-investor; most never take advantage of the opportunity to cash in.

My $300 investment in a MS #5 CGC 9.4 3-4 years back doesn't seem so stupid now. acclaim.gifcloud9.gif

Assuming of course, that you sell while the market is at a bubble-high, and not hold it for the inevitable fall back to reality.

That's the problem with being a collector-investor; most never take advantage of the opportunity to cash in.

If I believed this was a market bubble and MS #5 CGC 9.4 is worth the most it every will be I probably would sell. It is the start of a hell of a long bubble if it is due to hype of a movie that hasn't even been produced yet that MIGHT come out some time in 2005. Prices might get crazy a few months before such a movie comes out, but that is to be expected (i.e. ASM #129 with Punisher movie opening in April). The prices we are seeing of MS #5 right NOW are due to limited supply and high demand and not movie hype IMHO.

The prices we are seeing of MS #5 right NOW are due to limited supply and high demand and not movie hype IMHO.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

This issue is common, common, common in high-grade, but I wil admit that 100% perfectly centered copies are extremely rare, and that may be why this particular auction is rising in price.

If you've got one of the standard mis-cut/angled books, then don't expect top-dollar upon resale, at least not anywhere close to where a perfectly-centered 9.X copy sells for.

The prices we are seeing of MS #5 right NOW are due to limited supply and high demand and not movie hype IMHO.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

This issue is common, common, common in high-grade, but I wil admit that 100% perfectly centered copies are extremely rare, and that may be why this particular auction is rising in price.

If you've got one of the standard mis-cut/angled books, then don't expect top-dollar upon resale, at least not anywhere close to where a perfectly-centered 9.X copy sells for.

Here we go... popcorn.gif

This issue is common, common, common in high-grade

According to the census there are only 45 (less than a quarter of the # of Hulk 181s which you also claim is common) copies of MS #5 in 9.4 and above condition. Are all the people paying these record prices speculators who don't know how common the book is in grade? Are you predicting that supply will eventually overcome the demand for MS #5 and price will plummet to 1984 prices soon? I would suggest that that 45 copies in the case of MS #5 and 195 copies in the case of Hulk #181 is an extremely small amount compared to the thousands if not tens of thousands of people who want them. The census will never meet the demand causing a drastic plummet in value (not counting usual 15% or so drop in price from crazy prices during movie hype).

The census will never meet the demand...

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

NEVER is a very long time....

I take it by your response that you know when the census will meet demand. Please tell us all so we can prepare. You don't have to be exact, just a 5 year window or something.

There's a big difference between the first app of Wolverine and the 1st of Ghost Rider. Wolverine has become a Marvel Icon. GR is nothing but a second tier character. Demand for #181 will always outstrip the same for MS #5.

Hell, where is GR in current comics these days?

So yes....if the book is common, supply will eventually overtake the demand. This extreme rise is potential movie hype and nothing more in my opinion.....

Jim

So yes....if the book is common, supply will eventually overtake the demand.

Is MS #5 or Hulk #181 common now? Price keeps rising which wouldn't indicate that supply can't meet demand which to me means it isn't common. Is 45 copies in 9.4 and above a lot for a 2nd tier character's 1st appearance from 30+ years ago? I don't think so.

The census will never meet the demand...

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

NEVER is a very long time....

I take it by your response that you know when the census will meet demand. Please tell us all so we can prepare. You don't have to be exact, just a 5 year window or something.

Its all a matter of time to some degree as to when the market will adjust to this CGC stuff but it will hit to some degree there will be a correction and it will affect big ticket items like Marvel Spotlight 5 centered CGC 9.4 Its when things like big price adjustments makes people skittish and then the snowball effect will have some merit to pricing and the dollars they would be willing to spend.I am not spelling doom and gloom but hey if you paid a lot of money for what you thought was a investment and you try to get your money back and its just not there, there might be some sort of panick with multiples being listed triggering a even bigger downside GLUT Its a combination that could kill!

A Small example

1850.00 maybe Supapimp is right!

Davidking623

I agree that GR is not the same caliber as Wolverine.

But, I don't think the MS5 is pure movie hype. The GR movie has been thrown around so many times. who knows if it will ever get done. I remember hearing 5 or 6 years ago that Nick Cage wanted to play GR. What was the demand them?

GR is a cool character, so why not high grade MS5 demand some cash?...

The book was selling for 800 dollars long before a movie was even announced (back in 01). It did dip down, I think the lowest it went was 450-500 dollars. Still 9.4's don't show up real often, they probably will now due to that price though..

Brian