• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS5 Record in the making

160 posts in this topic

Hulk 181 is a great example. Check the GPA for prices on 9.X issues and then do a timeline. It's pretty obvious that resale values are tanking, and as I predicted, you could have sold off a 8.0 during the movie hype, and then bought back a 9.2 for the same price, once the supply flew in to nab that payoff.

You keep saying this Joe, but it turns out your prediction was wrong...very wrong actually. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I checked GPA as you suggested, and in reality, the highest 2-month average for an 8.0 occurred in July/August 2003 at ~$670, well after the movie. The lowest 2-month average for a 9.2 occurred in Nov/Dec 2002 at ~$1,050. In fact, since January of '03, not a single copy of Hulk 181 in 8.0 is shown as having sold for more than any 9.2 during that period.

Even looking at 9.0's, there's only one instance of an 8.0 (one sale over $800 in the last year) selling for more than the cheapest 9.0 (one sale less than $800 in the last year). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, and i agree 100% with bronty, the most realistic outlook on this is YES MS5 is a good investment if you pay a good price for it. $600 for a 9.2 is a collector's price, not investors. If you want to invest in it, you have to be buying raw 9.2-9.6 candidates at $200-$350, and that is easier said then done. I love this book, i paid a lot for a 9.2, but i bought it for me, not to resell. I have 5 raw copies i paid less than $50 a piece for, they are the investment thumbsup2.gif

Just because I think MS #5 is a good investment I am bullish, huh? I bet the majority of the people in these boards also think it is a good investment. Are they bullish too?

I could care less if it's a good investment.

I have one because I love the book.

If the bottom falls out of the value...again I could care less.

It just means I could get a nicer one...CHEAPER!

cloud9.gif

Just because I think MS #5 is a good investment I am bullish, huh? I bet the majority of the people in these boards also think it is a good investment. Are they bullish too?

I could care less if it's a good investment.

I have one because I love the book.

If the bottom falls out of the value...again I could care less.

It just means I could get a nicer one...CHEAPER!

cloud9.gif

I am with ya. thumbsup2.gif It wouldn't be such a bad thing if a crash happened so I could get my hands on some silver and bronze age comics that I otherwise couldn't afford. cloud9.gif However, I don't ever see that happening unless another Great Depression occurs like what happened in 1929 and everyone is selling their valuables for cheap to put food on the table.

I bought my MS #5 9.4 at $300 3-4 years ago.

You got a pic/scan of this "9.4"? confused-smiley-013.gif

No pic. I might take one tonight after work and post it tomorrow if you really want to see it. After reading the other comments above I am thinking it is probably one of those questionable 9.4s that should have been graded lower. I wouldn't have graded it a 9.4, but I am still happy to have it. I don't know what the PQ of it is since it has been a while since I looked at it. The reasons I wouldn't have given it a 9.4 (if I remember correctly) is because the black on the front cover isn't as rich as it should be and the back cover looks like it had ink from another book that it was stored with rub off onto it and isn't as white as it should be.

Hulk 181 is a great example. Check the GPA for prices on 9.X issues and then do a timeline. It's pretty obvious that resale values are tanking, and as I predicted, you could have sold off a 8.0 during the movie hype, and then bought back a 9.2 for the same price, once the supply flew in to nab that payoff.

You keep saying this Joe, but it turns out your prediction was wrong...very wrong actually. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I checked GPA as you suggested, and in reality, the highest 2-month average for an 8.0 occurred in July/August 2003 at ~$670, well after the movie had tanked. The lowest 2-month average for a 9.2 occurred in Nov/Dec 2002 at ~$1,050. In fact, since January of '03, not a single copy of Hulk 181 in 8.0 is shown as having sold for more than any 9.2 during that period.

Even looking at 9.0's, there's only one instance of an 8.0 (one sale over $800 in the last year) selling for more than the cheapest 9.0 (one sale less than $800 in the last year). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ive sold a couple 8.0 for over 700.00 and have yet to see a 9.2 approach that level those were sold around the time of the x Movie 2 a month or so after it!

Davidking623

OK, so you bought a copy for $300. Good for you. Seriously. But it can't be had for $300 anymore. So tell me again why it's a good investment at current price levels? stooges.gif

Hmmm Cause it will continue to go up in value. insane.gif In the current market I probably wouldn't go after another copy unless I found a perfect copy and I could get deal on it. I like the comic, but not enough to hoard a bunch of them at current prices.

I checked GPA as you suggested, and in reality, the highest 2-month average for an 8.0 occurred in July/August 2003 at ~$670, well after the movie had tanked. The lowest 2-month average for a 9.2 occurred in Nov/Dec 2002 at ~$1,050. In fact, since January of '03, not a single copy of Hulk 181 in 8.0 is shown as having sold for more than any 9.2 during that period.

Ive sold a couple 8.0 for over 700.00 and have yet to see a 9.2 approach that level those were sold around the time of the x Movie 2 a month or so after it!

Davidking623

Sheesh Makes me wish I didn't sell my 8.5 copy for $650 a couple of years back. I could probably get $1,000 today.

Davidking623

Exactly! There have been several 8.0's sold for $700-800 but only one has broken $800 ($948 last August). The 9.2's peaked around $1,450 last June/July. GPA doesn't have a single sale for a 9.2 below $1,100...

OK, so you bought a copy for $300. Good for you. Seriously. But it can't be had for $300 anymore. So tell me again why it's a good investment at current price levels? stooges.gif

Hmmm Cause it will continue to go up in value. insane.gif In the current market I probably wouldn't go after another copy unless I found a perfect copy and I could get deal on it. I like the comic, but not enough to hoard a bunch of them at current prices.

hmmm. so are you saying that even at $950 for a 9.4 its going to keep going up in value? This i do see as not only risky thinking, but almost impossible to happen. I love this book as much as anyone out there, Hammered as hard into me with nostalgia as it could be as well as current appreciation of the story, art & cover, BUT i could turn $950 into $2500 with certain comics in a years time, i think it would take over 10 years if EVER for a 9.4 MS5 to sell for that level. Things don't just go up forever. There is a time for everything and MS5 is ON right now through 2005. After that.....its most likely going to stay at the $850-$1200 level for a long time.

hmmm. so are you saying that even at $950 for a 9.4 its going to keep going up in value? This i do see as not only risky thinking, but almost impossible to happen. I love this book as much as anyone out there, Hammered as hard into me with nostalgia as it could be as well as current appreciation of the story, art & cover, BUT i could turn $950 into $2500 with certain comics in a years time, i think it would take over 10 years if EVER for a 9.4 MS5 to sell for that level. Things don't just go up forever. There is a time for everything and MS5 is ON right now through 2005. After that.....its most likely going to stay at the $850-$1200 level for a long time.

I don't think you would loose any money in the long term by paying $950 for a MS #5 9.4 especially if it is 10 PQ with white pages. I probably would try and get one for a couple of 15-20% cheaper if I was looking to acquire another copy only to sell again in the next year for a profit. However, I would bid in that $950 range for a 10 PQ with white pages copy right now if I was in the market for one. As a collector/investor in silver and bronze age comics I am not looking to flip what I buy any time soon. Don't have the time or energy to sell on Ebay trying to make money flipping comics for a living. I admire guys that make their whole living buying and selling comics. To me it is just too much work and research of current trends. Besides listing and shipping stuff on Ebay is one big pain. Maybe in 5-10 years I will start selling the bulk of my collection starting with duplicates. I am thinking of going through an auction house to save me the work.