• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I wasting my time buying CGC 9.8's.....
1 1

155 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I guess it comes down to asking what type of hobbyist you are?

If your buying for your own collection, your not just buying for art or storyline, your buying books slabbed so some small part of you is buying for the value of the comic, maybe not now but in the future.

9.8s can get quite expensive, especially older ages. But than again 9.8s are almost perfect condition so for example if you bought a 1962 Chevy impala, you would want to buy a nice one for appearances purposes.

The difference between that hobby and this one is restoration is not graded or judged in cars but rather admired.

9.8s are one of the best grades, and its quality over quantity if you pursue the hobby that way.

There is no weight behind this assertion.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Why do people choose 9.8s over 9.4s or 9.6s or vice versa?

The obvious reasons: Condition and/or presentation.

Collectors with smaller budgets may be financially constrained and may choose quantity of pieces over the opinionated 'top' quality of a piece.

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Collectors with smaller budgets may be financially constrained and may choose quantity of pieces over the opinionated 'top' quality of a piece.

Than what I said has weight behind it.

I myself am a collector. I choose to collect moderns based on what I enjoy. financial constraints that come with it are included.The particular comics I have are more valuable in the grade they are in, then in a lesser grade.

I will provide a picture of the comics I have accumulated over the past several months to provide weight to what I posted.

As you can see I have chosen to purchase them in the grade they are in based on condition as well as value.

I have also upgraded on comics by trading the same comic in a lesser grade based on this same reason.

20191126_223119.jpg

20191126_223124.jpg

20191126_223111.jpg

Edited by Hollywood1892

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Than what I said has weight behind it.

I myself am a collector. I choose to collect moderns based on financial constraints. The particular comics I have are more valuable in the grade they are in, than in a lesser grade.

I will provide a picture of the comics I have accumulated over the past several months to provide weight to what I posted.

As you can see I have chosen to purchase them in the grade they are in based on condition as well as value.

I have also upgraded on comics by trading the same comic in a lesser grade based on this same reason.

Then*; and no. You're asserting that "all people who buy encapsulated comics have financial motivation". That is not true.

Budget interest of perceived financial value.

On 3/14/2010 at 8:28 AM, Hammerhead said:

Sometimes I feel like a sucker paying these crazy prices for CGC 9.8's, but man there are many out there buying them!

In twenty years, will that still be the case? Will the grading companies survive? 

I didn't read it all, but my answer is:  If you're going on a comic book forum to ask if you're wasting your time, you're almost certainly wasting your time.

And if you weren't before, reading this answer was definitely a waste of time. 

See the source image

On 3/14/2010 at 7:13 AM, Hammerhead said:

I have been pondering this for a few days now. Maybe I should just buy 9.4's and 9.6's? I really only buy for my personal collection but like the money I get when, heaven forbid, I need to sell my 9.8's. I always buy them back and my spending gets crazy and I have to sell a few! What do you all think? I am talking bronze/modern comics here.....

Not sure how to answer question. If you’re selling and 9.8s bring you better cash than I guess stay on the 9.8 ship.   

I’m kinda a raw guy cause I like the entire comic not just front and back page. I’ve experimented with cracking books out but they just seem so unaturally and insufferably flat I’m left not very happy. 

but yes, you’re hooked on 9.8s cause they’re the “best.” It’s easy to get hooked in life. The fact you’re a collector compounds this problem. 

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Not sure how to answer question. If you’re selling and 9.8s bring you better cash than I guess stay on the 9.8 ship.   

I’m kinda a raw guy cause I like the entire comic not just front and back page. I’ve experimented with cracking books out but they just seem so unaturally and insufferably flat I’m left not very happy. 

but yes, you’re hooked on 9.8s cause they’re the “best.” It’s easy to get hooked in life. The fact you’re a collector compounds this problem. 

Exactly

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There are people who buy encapsulated comics who couldn't care less about their perceived financial value.

I only care about a fair price when purchasing. Selling them is not on my radar. Part of the reason to buy is to regain what I loved and lost - nostalgia... so selling is totally the wrong direction for me.

Edited by eastcoaster

9 minutes ago, eastcoaster said:

How about buying high grade for collecting and cheap raw for reading?

I don't know if I'll ever read and follow stories like I used to. :( Maybe I need some classic graphic novels.

That's a perfect way to collect

By slabbed keys

By raw runs

I'm reading the knightfall run right now.

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

Maybe he got burned out on comics by playing the 9.8 game and losing. Repeatedly 

It can happen

Or he thought he was getting 9.8s in raw from those "not proffessional graders" on Ebay, and got burned that way.

In my opinion, buying in 9.8 means he is buying for value, appearance between a 9.8 and a 9.4 isn't much different