• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I wasting my time buying CGC 9.8's.....
1 1

155 posts in this topic

I have been pondering this for a few days now. Maybe I should just buy 9.4's and 9.6's? I really only buy for my personal collection but like the money I get when, heaven forbid, I need to sell my 9.8's. I always buy them back and my spending gets crazy and I have to sell a few! What do you all think? I am talking bronze/modern comics here.....

I have been pondering this for a few days now. Maybe I should just buy 9.4's and 9.6's? I really only buy for my personal collection but like the money I get when, heaven forbid, I need to sell my 9.8's. I always buy them back and my spending gets crazy and I have to sell a few! What do you all think? I am talking bronze/modern comics here.....

It's the opposite, you should be holding out for 9.9s. :sumo:

Bronze and copper ASMs are so common in 9.8, they are usually pretty inexpensive except for keys. 9.4 and 9.6 copies ought to be sitting in bins across the nation for a couple of bucks each.

Buy nice looking 9.2s and 9.4s, or buy them raw for less, and save yourself the money, especially if you are building a run. Better yet, find nice raw books and submit them yourself. The whole 9.8 Bronze thing, especially on the really common books, is built on a foundation of straw (i.e, the next sucker in line). Don't let the last sucker in line be you.

I've started buying 9.2s and 9.4s dirt cheap and cracking them for raw keepers. Makes me feel a lot better about my raw collection.

That's a good approach, especially if you find someone dumping them on eBay.

I pretty much only buy moderns, with a couple of exceptions.

I love 9.8s, but I've decided I really don't care about having all 9.8s. I have a fair amount of 9.6s and a few 9.4s in my collection, b/c I would rather have all the books I really want than only a few in 9.8.

2 recent examples:

Goon Avatar #1 9.4

Invincible #1 9.6

I bought both in lower grades, otherwise I couldn't have had them at all. IMO, a book that grades 9.4 or 9.6 is a nice looking book and one that I'm happy to own.

Edited by Kathryn

I hesitate to buy 9.8's unless they are really priced right. I am so worried that most of them are restored by that restoration technique known as pressing. Its a shame CGC cannot detect it and give the books the Purple label that Pressed books rightly deserve. Old labels I feel a lot safer then the newer labels.

thanks for all the input! 9.8's are coming down fast in price. I just had some auctions end on ebay for a few ASM key 9.8's and they bombed pretty hard. Depressing.....I wish I didn't need the money, I would of rather kept them then sell them at the prices I got :sorry:

I hesitate to buy 9.8's unless they are really priced right. I am so worried that most of them are restored by that restoration technique known as pressing. Its a shame CGC cannot detect it and give the books the Purple label that Pressed books rightly deserve. Old labels I feel a lot safer then the newer labels.

who exactly is pressing moderns to achieve 9.8's? :screwy: