• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eldon did it, Crippen too...How about you?

16 posts in this topic

In this GA forum there are several threads and examples of Golden Age books with writing on the books (or inside) that are "markings" from the original owner to identify them as their copies. A few examples are in threads about 'Eldon's books', Rockford pedigree's easily identifyable w stamp on cover, and the David Crippn 'D' marking to name a few.

It would seem in some way that marking on a book is a normal type of thing for original comic owners. Now I say this knowing that none of us would EVER write or mark on our books, but I wondered about the idea of marking your books in an unobtrusive and simple way.

Below is a scan of a book (I do not own this book) recently sold at Heritage that is "marked" as part of the Pinnacle Hill Collection of books not by CGC as a recognized pedigree/ownership but with a sticker on the case up within the label next to the numerical grade.

wings.jpg

My questions for this thread are this....

1. What do you think about this method of identifying a group/collection of books?

2. Have you ever "marked' your CGC books in a similar way or in any way?

3. What is your opinion about how Heritage marked this collection of Golen Age books?...Cool, Silly, Neat, Neutral, etc.

In this GA forum there are several threads and examples of Golden Age books with writing on the books (or inside) that are "markings" from the original owner to identify them as their copies. A few examples are in threads about 'Eldon's books', Rockford pedigree's easily identifyable w stamp on cover, and the David Crippn 'D' marking to name a few.

It would seem in some way that marking on a book is a normal type of thing for original comic owners. Now I say this knowing that none of us would EVER write or mark on our books, but I wondered about the idea of marking your books in an unobtrusive and simple way.

Below is a scan of a book (I do not own this book) recently sold at Heritage that is "marked" as part of the Pinnacle Hill Collection of books not by CGC as a recognized pedigree/ownership but with a sticker on the case up within the label next to the numerical grade.

wings.jpg

My questions for this thread are this....

1. What do you think about this method of identifying a group/collection of books?

2. Have you ever "marked' your CGC books in a similar way or in any way?

3. What is your opinion about how Heritage marked this collection of Golen Age books?...Cool, Silly, Neat, Neutral, etc.

I guess it depends. Provenance = good. But how far do we take this? A sticker or notation on a cgc case for any and every collection, no matter how significant, or insignificant?

I picked up two Pinnacle Hill books and in this case, am very happy to have them. Any books that came from the same collection as the $1.075m Tec 27 is IMO, worthy of identification.

In the 80's, writing was of course frowned upon on our books. However, when I would sell a book back then, I would place a very small ink dot at a certain location on the inside of the book. Same location on every book I sold. That was to help me if someone returned the book. I didn't want to have a book switched on me.

You know. You sell a nice book (silver age or whatever) and they return one "almost" as nice, but not the same book.

I discontinued that practice when I obtained scanners. I wonder if CGC ever noticed my mark? If you didn't know where it was, it would be really really hard to find it. Someday, I should mark a book in that same manner and send it to CGC, just to see if they find it.

So to focus this thread, how about question #2

"Have you ever "marked' your CGC books in a similar way or in any way?"

And/Or

Anyone have any desire to make their own sticker to identify a certain run in your CGC book collection?

my favorite "collector's marking" is olshevsky's code in the margin of the first page of the book's second story. my chicago is slabbed, but i have 4 or 5 other olshevsky books and it's cool to check out the writing. a couple were found competely by accident, whereas a couple others were bought as george's former books.

I bought 3 Pinnacle Hill books, and I like the sticker. It's unobtrusive, and I kinda like knowing where it came from.

I wish they had these stickers on the label so if you wanted to crack the books out you could keep it.

i like my pinnacle hill stickers just fine. don't need that big sticker on the back of the new slabs i just got in.

You can use urine for invisible ink, then get it to show up if you hold a flame to it. I like to do that to all my comics...

When I started this thread I never imagined that the word urine would be used. :roflmao:

my favorite "collector's marking" is olshevsky's code in the margin of the first page of the book's second story.

(thumbs u I'm with you. That is if you don't count "Lamont" neatly written in cursive on the front cover as a collector's marking.

chicagosub004.jpg