• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage seller's fees?

30 posts in this topic

I am thinking about consigning a book or two through Heritage. I know the buyer pays %19 juice; what does the seller pay?

I did do a search on here and couldn't find the answer.

wow 29% seems like a whole heck of alot.

They make a killing.

Wow! I thought just the buyer pays a fee and the seller pockets 100% of the sale price. Given this, I don't think I would ever sell through HA.com.

They make a killing.

a king's ransom for kid's books lol

lol

Thats a good quote Primetime! (thumbs u

Detective Comics #27

Bought in 1939 for $0.10

Sold in 2010 for $1,075,500

Thats a $1,075,499.90 profit :insane:

They make a killing.

a king's ransom for kid's books lol

lol

Thats a good quote Primetime! (thumbs u

heard it from Warren Sapp (Tampa Bay Bucs, circa 2000), "We play a kid's game for a King's ransom." :cool:

They make a killing.

They definitely are expensive compared to the online only sites like clink, cconnect etc. but I don't think they make a killing in comics. Heritage offers printed catalogs, an excellent pool of bidders, heavy promotion, previewing of material as well as live bidding that is integrated with phone, internet and absentee bidding processes. Whether that extra expense results in high enough bids for it to be worthwhile to a consignor is certainly debatable given the excellent result some of the other sites have produced for certain categories of comics and art.

They make a killing.

They definitely are expensive compared to the online only sites like clink, cconnect etc. but I don't think they make a killing in comics. Heritage offers printed catalogs, an excellent pool of bidders, heavy promotion, previewing of material as well as live bidding that is integrated with phone, internet and absentee bidding processes. Whether that extra expense results in high enough bids for it to be worthwhile to a consignor is certainly debatable given the excellent result some of the other sites have produced for certain categories of comics and art.

Even with all that they couldnt sell my stuff.

They make a killing.

Sure they could. Just not at your reserves.

Generally 10%, unless they're able to work a better deal with Heritage.

For some reason, I thought it was 15%, but if the books are even semi-decent, they'll usually drop to 7.5% without even being asked. Even better terms can be obtained depending on how good the books are.

They make a killing.

Wow! I thought just the buyer pays a fee and the seller pockets 100% of the sale price. Given this, I don't think I would ever sell through HA.com.

First off, that's Heritage's "list price", as it were, so depending on the books you might be able to get a better deal.

Second, you have to look at the big picture. For example, let's use Comiclink as the basis of comparison for who you'd want to sell through. Comiclink's seller's commission is 10%. If Heritage gives its fairly standard discount on seller's commission to knock it down to 7.5%, then roughly speaking the total commission you would pay to Heritage is 26.5%. So then the question is would the book sell for at least 16.5% higher on Heritage than it would on Comiclink. If it would, then you're better off selling on Heritage despite the higher commission. If it wouldn't, then you're better off with Comiclink.

This is why I would never sell SA or BA Marvels on Heritage, because you don't get any edge in selling on Heritage compared to other sites.

They make a killing.

My reserves were 30 percent less than the price I paid them when I won it from heritage

They make a killing.

My reserves were 30 percent less than the price I paid them when I won it from heritage

Too bad that Gary Keller was the underbidder when you won the books!

:jokealert:

They make a killing.

First off, that's Heritage's "list price", as it were, so depending on the books you might be able to get a better deal.

Second, you have to look at the big picture. For example, let's use Comiclink as the basis of comparison for who you'd want to sell through. Comiclink's seller's commission is 10%. If Heritage gives its fairly standard discount on seller's commission to knock it down to 7.5%, then roughly speaking the total commission you would pay to Heritage is 26.5%. So then the question is would the book sell for at least 16.5% higher on Heritage than it would on Comiclink. If it would, then you're better off selling on Heritage despite the higher commission. If it wouldn't, then you're better off with Comiclink.

This is why I would never sell SA or BA Marvels on Heritage, because you don't get any edge in selling on Heritage compared to other sites.

Very true.. Depending on how good the quality and value of your books are, the better the deal it will be. I recently consigned some books in the Feb. auction and I bargained them down to 0% seller's commission and just had to worry about the 19.5% buyer's fee. Problem is to decide whether Heritage can sell your book at a better price minus the fees over C-link, CC, etc. I for sure had this thought before I consigned with Heritage. It's tough to decide which auction venue to consign your prized GA comics. How can a consignor make the right decision and get the best realized price possible? I certainly do not know if I did unless of course the same books appear at another auction venue then you can compare the final hammer price.

They make a killing.

Agree. Even with all of this marketing, results are spotty but there may be a lot of variables at play. Here are some of my sales results (2009). Given the exposure that I expected, I was disappointed with the overall results of my sales. I would say that 70 percent of my sales netted me less than my cost.

For example

Superboy #1 CGC 2.0 gross $717, guide $833, 76 page views

Plastic Man #4 CGC 9.0 gross $507.88, guide $922, 71 page views

Boy Commandos #14 CGC 9.2 Crowley gross $262.90, guide $400 , 81 page views

World's Finest #16 CGC 8.5 gross $597.50, guide $851 for 8.0, 48 page views

All-American #16 CGC 8.0 (ext restored). $8,366.20, guide $12,000 for unrestored good, views 437, 13 bids

All-Star #8 CGC 8.5 (ext restored) gross $2,868, guide $3,333 unrestored good, views 200 views, 12 bids.

Needless to say, net take home was much less. They advertise 86,000 plus comic bidder members so I was expecting better results.