• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Walking Dead #1 Club

1,679 posts in this topic

Nice sale on the WD, Jason - I actually have no idea what the norm is on a Hulk 181 though, hope it was what you were expecting.

That 181 jumped about $90 in the last 30 seconds of the auction, I was actually hoping it would sell for more than $400, but a few people told me I overgraded it so maybe I'm better off that it didn't sell that high.

Plus I got an e-mail from a blocked bidder so if he had been allowed to bid maybe it would've went higher. I look at it as him being blocked for a reason and left him blocked.

That WD 10 9.8 SS sold for about 30% less than what I bought it for though. :-P

The rest of the books I sold, went right at about what I expected them to, of course the "free shipping if you win two or more auctions" helped my lower dollar books get bids that sent them higher than expected. I may use that strategy more in the future. I'm going to really examine bids from this week and see if there were a lot of common bidders on multiple items.

Your Hulk 181 looks like a 5.0 to me. I know the WD guys here are usually looking at 9.4, 9.6 & 9.8 books, but take it from me you overgraded.

Just quickly looking at it, there were 7 creases on the spine that broke color along with a couple folds on the top right corner that broke color too. It might even grade lower than 5.0.

Overall, you got a fair price for that book.

I've seen plenty of raw Hulk 181's sell for less than $200.

Midgrade books are tough to grade. Here is my GS X-Men #1 that's a 7.0 for a reference.

To an inexperienced grader it looks NM. There are no creases that break color and looks great. However, there is a small water stain on the bottom of the back cover. (CGC downgrades that big time.)

I believe their are a lot of scams/untrustworthy sellers out there that buy 7.0-8.0 slabs and crack them out and sell them as NM-. Since they are much cheaper to buy and easy to pass on to inexperienced graders. 2c

GSX-Men1.jpg

Likewise, here is my Daredevil #1 that's a 4.0. It doesn't have many creases on it either. It does have 1 significant flaw that caused the downgrade.

CGC40Front.jpg

What was the flaw on the Daredevil? Is it the staple?

Good eye! Yes. (thumbs u

This is one of the things that I love about CGC! They seriously downgrade a beautiful book that presents really well to an affordable value. (I bought this book already slabbed.)

It a very small flaw that isn't an eye sore, but it does downgrade the book. So you get a book that looks like a 6.0-7.0 for only a 4.0 price. (thumbs u

When I originally bought the book I called for the grader's notes. They say front cover detached. Which to me made no sense. I mean, how can only the front be detached? The cover is one sheet of paper right?? Well, the truth is this. The top staple is perfectly fine. The cover in front of the bottom staple is torn. The paper from the back cover is still under the bottom staple.

In other words, the white you see in the circle I drew is the micro-chamber paper.

CGC40Front-1.jpg

The trick when buying expensive mid/low grade SA books is to find flaws you can live with. I love flaws that make books affordable, but still present well. I'll take small clear water stains, or back cover damage.

I never buy books with writing on the front cover. Won't buy books with Marvel chipping either. Tape is another big no no. Even if the book looks ok, the tape will eventually stain and ruin it.

I've seen some 181s sell for less than $200, but they're usually missing the value stamp. I have been shopping ebay for 181s for a while now.

I got this one pretty cheap and only opted to sell it at no reserve because I already made my money back from the lot purchase.

I've seen some 181s sell for less than $200, but they're usually missing the value stamp. I have been shopping ebay for 181s for a while now.

I got this one pretty cheap and only opted to sell it at no reserve because I already made my money back from the lot purchase.

I just did a search, but couldn't find it. I could have sworn someone just sold one in the sales forum a few weeks ago for about $160. It was decent looking and complete.

I think I paid around $180 for mine. It's also complete w/ stamp too.

I think it's a book that is frequently overpriced, and patience pays off when shopping for it. (shrug)