• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman print signed by Shuster

63 posts in this topic

one is cursive and one is printed.. one made in the 40's and one made after he lost a lot of his sight and was older

It does seem to match Medicars

I feel confident that the signature is legitimate. Mr. Shuster's vision declined in his later years and it is entirely likely that he started to print more and more.

Charlie Roberts talks about seeing Joe Shuster at an Orange County convention in either 1983 or 1984. That's when he made copies of Beerbohm's print for Joe to sign and sell. Those copies (of Beerbohm's print) are 9x12 and on cardstock.

He said Joe just had no traffic at his booth despite having drawings and even a cover re-creation of Action #1 done in blue ballpoint pen and color pencils for a mere $1200!

one is cursive and one is printed.. one made in the 40's and one made after he lost a lot of his sight and was older

I feel confident that the signature is legitimate. Mr. Shuster's vision declined in his later years and it is entirely likely that he started to print more and more.

Charlie Roberts talks about seeing Joe Shuster at an Orange County convention in either 1983 or 1984. That's when he made copies of Beerbohm's print for Joe to sign and sell. Those copies (of Beerbohm's print) are 9x12 and on cardstock.

He said Joe just had no traffic at his booth despite having drawings and even a cover re-creation of Action #1 done in blue ballpoint pen and color pencils for a mere $1200!

..this makes me so freakin sad... If I wasn't a kid in Old Town Maine then I would have been all over that booth

..this makes me so freakin sad... If I wasn't a kid in Old Town Maine then I would have been all over that booth

That's what Charlie and I both said. I was astounded that the GA creators didn't get any attention at shows.

I remember making it to a show in Tulsa in the early to mid 90's with Martin Nodell appearing. He had practically no one at his table the whole show! I approached him and made small talk for a bit and went through the portfolios he had on the table. I picked out an item and asked the price. He said, "Oh! Those are originals! The prints are much cheaper." I explained that I knew what I was looking at and asked again what he wanted for the roughly 8x11 watercolored sketch. He said, "If you're sure.....$75." $75 was all he wanted! I was giddy and couldn't pay him fast enough. I remember both of us being very excited.

Now if I could just find the pic of it....

Does anyone recognize this print? When the image was drawn...when the print was printed? I imagine it was signed by Shuster at some comic show where they might have had a stack of them...

Wondering if anyone:

Remembers what year or decade these are from?

What show or shows they were signed at?

What comic book or what year the image was drawn?

Thanks!

scan0361.jpg

The image is very similar to Action #7, with the exception that he's holding onto two men around their mid-sections rather than one man by his foot. The street scene is similar, right down to the bus on the street below.

94796.jpg.afe49ff102b576ad6b1b5483074a6a05.jpg

That's what Charlie and I both said. I was astounded that the GA creators didn't get any attention at shows.

I remember making it to a show in Tulsa in the early to mid 90's with Martin Nodell appearing. He had practically no one at his table the whole show! I approached him and made small talk for a bit and went through the portfolios he had on the table. I picked out an item and asked the price. He said, "Oh! Those are originals! The prints are much cheaper." I explained that I knew what I was looking at and asked again what he wanted for the roughly 8x11 watercolored sketch. He said, "If you're sure.....$75." $75 was all he wanted! I was giddy and couldn't pay him fast enough. I remember both of us being very excited.

Now if I could just find the pic of it....

That's just an amazing story. Just amazing. I remember thinking the same about Carmine Infantino when I saw him sitting all alone at a con. Just amazing.

Wow - good memory :)

What I find particularly cool is that the bidding already higher than the Winnebago I'm selling for parts! haha

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230450690165&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

Is that scrambled eggs that fell out of the frying pan?

The image is very similar to Action #7, with the exception that he's holding onto two men around their mid-sections rather than one man by his foot. The street scene is similar, right down to the bus on the street below.

When I saw the print, the first thing that came to my mind was Action #7 cover.

Is it possible the print was one of or intended to be for the Superman gum cards?

I have a couple of card pics - some similar images. Here's a group from an old Hake's auction.

Edit - It appears the cards did not have a lot of detail in the backgrounds so probably not (shrug)

supermancards.jpg

Is it possible the print was one of or intended to be for the Superman gum cards?

I have a couple of card pics - some similar images. Here's a group from an old Hake's auction.

Edit - It appears the cards did not have a lot of detail in the backgrounds so probably not (shrug)

supermancards.jpg

I have just one with the coupon. These cards rock! (thumbs u