• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

The 100 to 1 challenge and the charge of that figure coming out of someone's rear seems a bit gratuitiously contentious. Maybe on a board filled with comic geeks you could play games adding up the columns. But everybody knows what would happen if you put two books up in a public place with one being a Batman 1 while the other is an AA16. Nearly 100 percent would recognize the Batman 1 (or quickly agree it's probably "worth a lot") and I'm not even sure that 1 % would behave the same toward the AA16. Doesn't mean you don't prefer it or that many seasoned collectors don't prefer it. But when you assert that most people in the real world share your view, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, it's a bit disconcerting. Especially when you do it in a snarky, name-calling sorta way

My comment wasn't meant to be contentious, and I don't disagree with the idea that Batman # 1 is a more popular book then MC # 1. I just took issue with the 100-to-1 ratio thing, as I don't believe the gap is anywhere near as large.

Also, it should be noted that the post I responded to wasn't referring to average members of the public, but to actual "collectors". As long as there are Marvel zombies, there will be people who choose MC # 1 over Batman # 1 with regularity.

I would still stand by my number. Even on these boards Batman 1 seems to be preferred and I would not have thought that. A couple of things you have to consider is that you are not an average collector. In fact average collectors that go to their shop every week do not go to conventions on a regular basis and do not frequent these boards. I would also say the majority of Marvel zombies think that the Marvel began with FF #1 and AF #15. That is the beginning of their world. Batman, despite being a golden age book. I think there is a difference between a Marvel zombie and a Timely zombie.

This is just an opinion and stated purely to drive up post counts for all concerned.

And the same arguement can be used when we talk about the incredibly lame Superman. Spidey, Bats are already miles ahead in terms of popularity and at this rate Supes will have as much significance as the Flash in a few more decades (especially if they keep making awful movies).

Ummm...what? That makes zero sense. Superman is still one of DC's most popular characters, and regardless of the revisionist reviews on the last Superman film, it received high critical reviews at the time of release and made $400 million at the box office. Superman is on the extreme opposite end of the doldrums that Sub-Mariner and android Torch are sitting in. ???

The 100 to 1 challenge and the charge of that figure coming out of someone's rear seems a bit gratuitiously contentious. Maybe on a board filled with comic geeks you could play games adding up the columns. But everybody knows what would happen if you put two books up in a public place with one being a Batman 1 while the other is an AA16. Nearly 100 percent would recognize the Batman 1 (or quickly agree it's probably "worth a lot") and I'm not even sure that 1 % would behave the same toward the AA16. Doesn't mean you don't prefer it or that many seasoned collectors don't prefer it. But when you assert that most people in the real world share your view, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, it's a bit disconcerting. Especially when you do it in a snarky, name-calling sorta way

My comment wasn't meant to be contentious, and I don't disagree with the idea that Batman # 1 is a more popular book then MC # 1. I just took issue with the 100-to-1 ratio thing, as I don't believe the gap is anywhere near as large.

Also, it should be noted that the post I responded to wasn't referring to average members of the public, but to actual "collectors". As long as there are Marvel zombies, there will be people who choose MC # 1 over Batman # 1 with regularity.

I would still stand by my number. Even on these boards Batman 1 seems to be preferred and I would not have thought that. A couple of things you have to consider is that you are not an average collector. In fact average collectors that go to their shop every week do not go to conventions on a regular basis and do not frequent these boards. I would also say the majority of Marvel zombies think that the Marvel began with FF #1 and AF #15. That is the beginning of their world. Batman, despite being a golden age book. I think there is a difference between a Marvel zombie and a Timely zombie.

This is just an opinion and stated purely to drive up post counts for all concerned.

Well, I think of the people who responded to you, it was roughly 3 MC # 1s as opposed to about 10 Batman # 1s. I think you still need to find another 290 collectors, all of whom will pick Batman # 1, to make your ratio work. :baiting:

So as long as we're doing the Marvel #1 vs. Batman #1 debate again, let's also add the original art to it.

Those two books are the only major GA keys (so far) where a page of original art is known to exist. So which would you rather have - the Marvel #1 page (Subby story) or the Batman #1 page (first Joker panel page)?

Has to be first Joker panel page

Of course it has to. Nobody loves Everett more than me, but a panel page of Subby vs. the first image in a splash of Joker? No contest. Subby will never hear the man count ten

Even I would take the Batman page.

(worship)

So as long as we're doing the Marvel #1 vs. Batman #1 debate again, let's also add the original art to it.

Those two books are the only major GA keys (so far) where a page of original art is known to exist. So which would you rather have - the Marvel #1 page (Subby story) or the Batman #1 page (first Joker panel page)?

again, I'm a Timely guy, but I'd take the Joker panel over the Subby :P However, I'd take a Marvel Mystery 9 splash over the Joker panel by a tad. :grin:

There might be a lot of Marvel fans that would "take" a Marvel #1 over a Bat #1, but that's the key word - take. The pool of willing and able buyers is much less than those that would simply take one.

So far, there have not been a lot of collectors that have gone from wanting to finish that 9.0+ Spidey set to deciding that they need a Marvel #1 also (even though you can pretty much get any Marvel #1 that comes to market for less than a 9.8 copy of Spidey #5, or a decent low grade and/or restored copy for the price of a FF #112 in 9.8 - makes no sense at all). But if few to no SA Marvel fans make the transition to collecting GA, then Batman #1 will continue to gain and eventually surpass Marvel #1 in price (as it occasionally does now in certain situations).

This is true and makes you wonder how and when this started to happen. Was it people's talking about it that made it happen or what is the Pay copy and a few other copies resurfacing just a few times too many that made people "want to pay less" for a copy of MC #1?

Yes.

I disagree that it is primarily due to the abundance of copies. The biggest problem IMHO is that the biggest Timely/Atlas/Marvel book is AF #15, not MC #1. Action #1 = 1st Superman + start of superhero comics; Tec #27 = 1st Batman; MC #1 = ?. Twenty years from now I would not be surprised if the top copy of AF #15 (is there a 9.8 lurking somewhere?) is worth more than the top copy of MC #1.

There might be a lot of Marvel fans that would "take" a Marvel #1 over a Bat #1, but that's the key word - take. The pool of willing and able buyers is much less than those that would simply take one.

So far, there have not been a lot of collectors that have gone from wanting to finish that 9.0+ Spidey set to deciding that they need a Marvel #1 also (even though you can pretty much get any Marvel #1 that comes to market for less than a 9.8 copy of Spidey #5, or a decent low grade and/or restored copy for the price of a FF #112 in 9.8 - makes no sense at all). But if few to no SA Marvel fans make the transition to collecting GA, then Batman #1 will continue to gain and eventually surpass Marvel #1 in price (as it occasionally does now in certain situations).

This is true and makes you wonder how and when this started to happen. Was it people's talking about it that made it happen or what is the Pay copy and a few other copies resurfacing just a few times too many that made people "want to pay less" for a copy of MC #1?

Yes.

I disagree that it is primarily due to the abundance of copies. The biggest problem IMHO is that the biggest Timely/Atlas/Marvel book is AF #15, not MC #1. Action #1 = 1st Superman + start of superhero comics; Tec #27 = 1st Batman; MC #1 = ?. Twenty years from now I would not be surprised if the top copy of AF #15 (is there a 9.8 lurking somewhere?) is worth more than the top copy of MC #1.

I don't think its going to take 20 years.

Yes.

Maybe, maybe not. The top copy of MC1 is the Church copy at around a 9.8. (With great registration, a common defect with the book) That isn't going to be easy to beat.

Yes.

^^

I'm thinking the 9.6 AF 15 would give the Church Marvel 1 a run for its money right now.

Yes.

^^

I'm thinking the 9.6 AF 15 would give the Church Marvel 1 a run for its money right now.

not even close :makepoint:

Yes.

^^

My rationale on the AF #15 in 20 years is a generational thing since there should be more collectors at that point interested in the top SA book to own, AF #15, than a 2nd tier GA key. At that point there will likely be only a hand ful of books fetching top dollar, and AF #15 will be there along with Action #1 and Tec #27 but not MC #1.

Yes.

^^

My rationale on the AF #15 in 20 years is a generational thing since there should be more collectors at that point interested in the top SA book to own, AF #15, than a 2nd tier GA key. At that point there will likely be only a hand ful of books fetching top dollar, and AF #15 will be there along with Action #1 and Tec #27 but not MC #1.

What makes you think Spiderman will maintain the top spot over Superman and Batman for the next 20 years? Hes going to need to maintain that to keep pace considering there are thousands of copies of AF15 compared to 125 or so copies each of Action 1 and Detective 27.

Ill put it another way. Ill bet anything that a lowly 7.0 blue label Detective 27 can equal or do better price wise than a 9.6 A.F 15.

and grade for grade Detective 27 will blow AF 15 out of the water literally pricewise.

Af 15 is not in the price class of Action 1 or Tec 27. There is no big three.There are just to many darn copies of AF15.

There still is only the Big 2.