• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You overpaid! Now what?

58 posts in this topic

I'm curious what other folks do when they realized they've overpaid for a book.

Perhaps the grade turned out to be lower in hand, or the "must-read" story ended up being just blah, or (my personal favorite) after you finally caved-in and bought a "hard-to-find" comic, ten more suddenly pop up for sale at much lower prices.

So what do you do?

Enjoy it anyway because life's too short?

Keep it around as a reminder to be more careful?

Return it as soon as possible? (If that's even an option...)

Sell it off immediately to mollify your shame?

Give it away to someone who might enjoy it, flaws and all?

Hide it in the back of your fullest longbox and forget about it?

depends...overpaid $5? $50? $500? $5000? $50000?

it is all relative

How about enough to make you feel stupid enough to go posting about it on a message board?

(:

depends...overpaid $5? $50? $500? $5000? $50000?

it is all relative

How about enough to make you feel stupid enough to go posting about it on a message board?

(:

I hear you, but it is still relative... for example, in the scheme of things, $50 or even $500 is "nothing"... $5000, ok, I can see an issue, but they again, who is spending that much that they would overpay $5000, and not know what they are doing...

so, any "smaller" amount than 4 figures, just write it off and enjoy the book (Thumbs u

Well, I've been in the position where I missed out on a piece of art, and was willing to pay crazy money to get the piece from the original buyer. I over paid, but feel good about it. So, there's that scenario, too.

Dan

Wait, did the seller offer "Satisfaction Guaranteed"?

hm

It takes a Belgian to appreciate the more obscure board references.

If your main concern is the value of the book then figure out whether you think you should just cut your losses and sell now or hold it and hope the market reaches the price you paid eventually.

Think its depends mainly on your mindset, there are a lot of collectors who turn over their collection yearly and those who actually hold regardless of value. Figure out which one you are and make your choice.

If it's a rare book, keep it.

I sent back the one and only copy of Turtles #3 Variant I bought 9 years ago....for $67....to...shoot, the name escapes me at the moment...some big comic store...because it was, at best, a F/VF, and I paid for a "NM" copy.

I'll remember the name in a minute...some store in New England somewhere...

If 10 more pop up, buy them, and mitigate your damages. :cloud9: That's what I do.

If it's not rare, and it's overgraded, return it. Don't even waste time dealing with it.