• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers # 1 and # 4 Club
12 12

1,089 posts in this topic

That is a pretty sweet ornament! Do you know where they got it from and the cost?

Yeah, it's from Hallmark. There are 4 in the series. The first three were a Supes, Amazing Fantasy #15, and Hulk #181.

The Avengers #4 is the final one in the series. I believe it was just released this year.

I've seen it online for anywhere from $17.95 to $22 or so.

http://www.hallmark.com/Product/ProductDetails/1795QX8819_DK?FacetList=keepsakes%3EMarvel%E2%84%A2

The photo doesn't do it justice. You can't see the depth. Cap is a full three-dimensional figure.

I'm curious what others thing about the upward trajectory of Avengers 1 and 4.

Do we think this is the peak time in pricing for these books or based on the upcoming Avengers film in 2012....will these books continue to rise?

That's actually not true based on my info in GPA

GPA has increased for 7.5-8.0 several hundred dollars.

I have a 7.5 and have been tracking it. 7.5-8.0 have increased a nice amount.

I wonder if it will continue with all the Cap and Avengers popularity

Fair enough. Some grades have seen gradual increases year to year. I saw those increases and didn't think much of them because I didn't think several hundred dollars was significant. But it's actually in the range of 10% per year for some grades.

Guess I was viewing "significant" as more in the range of 40-50% per year. :insane:

I love the hallmark holiday ornaments! I've been getting the Lionel train ones for the past 3 years now and started going back to get the past ones as well. Last year though my wife bought me the Spidey/Green Goblin one

http://www.amazon.com/Spiderman-Green-Goblin-Hallmark-Ornament/dp/B003U56RLS

Anyhow, I'm really okay with seeing slow gradual increases in comic values as I think those gains will be far more sustainable in the long run and don't lend to "crashes" as much. So if AV1 & 4 don't skyrocket much more and just kick into cruise control, that's a-ok by me!

Fair enough. Some grades have seen gradual increases year to year. I saw those increases and didn't think much of them because I didn't think several hundred dollars was significant. But it's actually in the range of 10% per year for some grades.

Guess I was viewing "significant" as more in the range of 40-50% per year. :insane:

That's true...maybe the word "significant" was a bit exagerated. But yes, there has been a steady increase in Avengers 4 in higher grades and I wonder how it will continue.

For my copy to increase from $1400 to $1900 in a year is pretty nice. I even thought of selling but I just love Avengers 4 too much to sell for a long while!

That's true...maybe the word "significant" was a bit exagerated. But yes, there has been a steady increase in Avengers 4 in higher grades and I wonder how it will continue.

For my copy to increase from $1400 to $1900 in a year is pretty nice. I even thought of selling but I just love Avengers 4 too much to sell for a long while!

Does anyone think there will be a pop in Strange Tales #114? That was Caps first app. since 1954..REAL nice cover shot...and came out almost a full year before Avengers #4...I know I know...he was not really in the book. But that cover is epic...and again it was caps first since 1954. 2c Missed out on a pretty nice mid grade CGC 6.5 copy last night on Ebay... :tonofbricks:

Strange Tales 114 is a very cool book that I've wanted to add to the CAP collection.

It is officially the first appearance since the 50s but as you said it's not really CAP so gets less attention than Avengers 4.

While I think the cover of Avengers 4 is cool...it's the story of how he comes into the modern hero age that is great and worthy of the value of the comic. It's just such a great story with him joining the Avengers.

ST 114 is a cool cover though. Good luck in your search.

Just at a glance, it seems like a lot of grades have seen a fairly significant increase. Just looking at the gpa numbers though dont really tell you the true story unless you take the time to look up the individual serial numbers which im usually too lazy to do.

I know some people will say PQ doesnt matter to them and that c/ow books are just as good as white pages and PQ is a total shoot with CGC but it certainly does affect prices. Its easy to look at gpa and see that a certain issue went for say $5,000 and then another went for $6,000 and then another went for $7,500 and think that the book is steadily climbing in price. When you actually look though, a lot of the times the lower priced book had bad PQ, a terrible miswrap, distributor ink or whatever while the high priced book was a perfectly registered white page copy which accounts for the supposed increase. Every copy is definitely not created equal!

That said, i think both these books will keep a fairly steady climb. I feel like im in the minority in this thinking a lot of times as i hear very knowledgable people on here saying that the SA bubble will burst with all these new pedigrees hitting the market but in my mind, early SA Marvels will for the most part have a fairly steady increase over the years.

Strange Tales 114 is a very cool book that I've wanted to add to the CAP collection.

It is officially the first appearance since the 50s but as you said it's not really CAP so gets less attention than Avengers 4.

While I think the cover of Avengers 4 is cool...it's the story of how he comes into the modern hero age that is great and worthy of the value of the comic. It's just such a great story with him joining the Avengers.

ST 114 is a cool cover though. Good luck in your search.

And no Mark, it just that as my kids would say the Avengers rule while Strange Tales drools! :sumo:

lol

Edited by sufunk

no way i can afford a #1 but I am in the market for a #4 low grade ... I saw a 5.5 off white on ebay but the seller won't ship out of the states lol his loss

Is'nt the No.1 about the same price,+/-.?

no way i can afford a #1 but I am in the market for a #4 low grade ... I saw a 5.5 off white on ebay but the seller won't ship out of the states lol his loss

I don't think so. I've seen some 3.5s copies of AV1 here in the $800 range; I've seen some 4.5-5.5 copies of AV4 going for between $425-$550.

So how hard is it to find a white pages copy of #4 ?.. is it worth the cost to get one ?.. I was thinking maybe getting a lower grade white pages copy than a off white or cream to off white or whatever the labels are called .... I generally just buy moderns but figure I should add a #4 to my collection

hm I've never really looked into it ... maybe i should get both ... I know I want a #4 first though because I collect marvel First apps :) I always just figured avengers #1 would be up with the rest of em Like I said I normally just stick to moderns because of the prices of vintage stuff

(shrug) PLus I tend to stick to 9.8s of stuff & you just can't get 9.8s unless you really shell out ... if there are even any of the vintage stuff ... I am at the point now though that I have simply decided that I want some stuff for my collection simply for the sake of "owning it"? " having it" ?.. I lol I guess ... In my collection ... no matter what the grade is .. Right now from what I am seeing low grade #4s in 3.--5 off white or cream whatever seem to be in the $500 range ...

I figure I can do around that for one ... (shrug) thoughts ?.. advice ?... price guides ?.. doh!