• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,247 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2021 at 3:19 AM, namisgr said:

Came across and finally scanned my copy of Mad #100, my oldest issue at the time, personally signed for me by Bill Gaines over 40 years ago at a New York convention.  I think he wrote 'Eecch!':

Mad100.thumb.jpg.5afbea33e7973017602371b728065526.jpg  451452316_Mad100Gainessig.thumb.jpg.9d3de21835391cfe04dd012e5f621f0c.jpg

2040472620_Mad100Gainessiglarge.thumb.jpg.7ba3cfa13343013434e3b8520a2bcbfe.jpg

(worship)

On 9/21/2021 at 3:19 AM, namisgr said:

Came across and finally scanned my copy of Mad #100, my oldest issue at the time, personally signed for me by Bill Gaines over 40 years ago at a New York convention.  I think he wrote 'Eecch!':

Mad100.thumb.jpg.5afbea33e7973017602371b728065526.jpg  451452316_Mad100Gainessig.thumb.jpg.9d3de21835391cfe04dd012e5f621f0c.jpg

2040472620_Mad100Gainessiglarge.thumb.jpg.7ba3cfa13343013434e3b8520a2bcbfe.jpg

This is how I like my signatures. The experience of meeting with that someone you admire, and not ruining the cover.

Edited by oakman29

On 9/23/2021 at 12:50 AM, OtherEric said:

Then a beat up reader, but also dirt cheap.  This is the version with only two Corben stories, which seems to be much more common.  Does anybody know the story behind the variants, and is there actually a variant on #3 as well like Overstreet suggests?

Comix International 04a.jpg

Never knew about variants for this series. Is it a US vs UK distribution thing? Is it just the contents? Curious if anyone knows so I can check my copies and see which versions I have.

Edit: Just checked the GCD and it does only mention issue 4 with this notation:

”With two exceptions, the story titles are listed with brief descriptions that vary from or are completely rewritten from the Table of Contents of the issues where they originally appeared. Stories #2 and #7 are listed as "A Surprise Bonus Story" and not by their original titles.”

Now to find out if issue 3 has a variant or not…

Edited by Jayman

On 9/23/2021 at 5:27 AM, Jayman said:

Never knew about variants for this series. Is it a US vs UK distribution thing? Is it just the contents? Curious if anyone knows so I can check my copies and see which versions I have.

Edit: Just checked the GCD and it does only mention issue 4 with this notation:

”With two exceptions, the story titles are listed with brief descriptions that vary from or are completely rewritten from the Table of Contents of the issues where they originally appeared. Stories #2 and #7 are listed as "A Surprise Bonus Story" and not by their original titles.”

Now to find out if issue 3 has a variant or not…

I really don't know anything about the variants beyond what I shared here, with Overstreet mentioning a possible variant of 3 as well.  The two stories listed as "Surprise Bonus Story" are the ones that vary between the editions, so I think it's possible they were planning the variants from the get-go.  It's very possible the issue wasn't actually reprints, but a bunch of the leftover color signatures from the original magazines bound into a new magazine, and they varied the contents based on how many of the signatures they had left.

This is what Doug Sulipa has posted on his sales website:

"#4-A (1976; REGULAR Edition VARIANT with 3 x CORBEN Stories including "the Woodlik Inheritance" - CORBEN-s/a; Believer! = Budd Lewis & Richard Corben; Power and the Gory = W. Eaton & Rafael Auraleon; The Freaks: A Thin Dime of Pain = Doug Moench & Leopold Sanchez; Child = Greg Potter & Richard Corben; Edgar Allan Poe's Tell-Tale Heart = Archie Goodwin & Reed Crandall; Exterminator One = Bill DuBay & Paul Neary; Vampirella: The Monster Called Vampirella = Bill DuBay & Zesar Lopez. Artist profiles of Richard Corben, Reed Crandall, Rafael Auraleon;);

#4-B (1976; Scarcer VARIANT Edition, approx 1 in 4 copies, with 2 x CORBEN Stories, includes; HUNTER-s text begins "Killing Machines" - Dubay-s, Neary-a, in place of 3rd Corben-s; Believer! = Budd Lewis & Richard Corben; Power and the Gory = W. Eaton & Rafael Auraleon; The Freaks: A Thin Dime of Pain = Doug Moench & Leopold Sanchez; Child = Greg Potter & Richard Corben; Edgar Allan Poe's Tell-Tale Heart = Archie Goodwin & Reed Crandall; Exterminator One = Bill DuBay & Paul Neary; Vampirella: The Monster Called Vampirella = Bill DuBay & Zesar Lopez. Artist profiles of Richard Corben, Reed Crandall, Rafael Auraleon; );

I have not seen what Overstreet has to say but have verified the above with my own copies.

On 9/23/2021 at 11:22 AM, chevalmeow said:

This is what Doug Sulipa has posted on his sales website:

"#4-A (1976; REGULAR Edition VARIANT with 3 x CORBEN Stories including "the Woodlik Inheritance" - CORBEN-s/a; Believer! = Budd Lewis & Richard Corben; Power and the Gory = W. Eaton & Rafael Auraleon; The Freaks: A Thin Dime of Pain = Doug Moench & Leopold Sanchez; Child = Greg Potter & Richard Corben; Edgar Allan Poe's Tell-Tale Heart = Archie Goodwin & Reed Crandall; Exterminator One = Bill DuBay & Paul Neary; Vampirella: The Monster Called Vampirella = Bill DuBay & Zesar Lopez. Artist profiles of Richard Corben, Reed Crandall, Rafael Auraleon;);

#4-B (1976; Scarcer VARIANT Edition, approx 1 in 4 copies, with 2 x CORBEN Stories, includes; HUNTER-s text begins "Killing Machines" - Dubay-s, Neary-a, in place of 3rd Corben-s; Believer! = Budd Lewis & Richard Corben; Power and the Gory = W. Eaton & Rafael Auraleon; The Freaks: A Thin Dime of Pain = Doug Moench & Leopold Sanchez; Child = Greg Potter & Richard Corben; Edgar Allan Poe's Tell-Tale Heart = Archie Goodwin & Reed Crandall; Exterminator One = Bill DuBay & Paul Neary; Vampirella: The Monster Called Vampirella = Bill DuBay & Zesar Lopez. Artist profiles of Richard Corben, Reed Crandall, Rafael Auraleon; );

I have not seen what Overstreet has to say but have verified the above with my own copies.

The Grand Comic Database lists a third variant, with "Pure as Snow" replacing "The Power and the Gory" as well as "The Woodlik Inheritance" instead of the Hunter story, it does not have the 4 -A version Sulipa describes indexed.  I'll triple-check my copy when I get home.  Anybody else have an unslabbed copy handy?