• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,219 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2021 at 12:06 AM, OtherEric said:

Just checked, my copy matches the "a" variant at the Grand Comics Database exactly, which also matches the scan at the internet archive and Sulpa's 4-B variant. 

I just grabbed a raw copy off eBay cheap and will see what I get as far as contents. And to further muddy up things, there is a graded copy also on eBay that listed “second printing” on the label! doh!

On 9/24/2021 at 8:58 AM, oakman29 said:

Please dont tell me there are variants of Vampirella. 

I'm not aware of any Warren Vampirella's with variations in contents.

There's the usual mish-mash of Newsstand, Direct, and Canadian variants on the latter part of the run, and the GCD shows a slight variant cover on #4, but I'm not sure that's not just an ink running out issue looking at it.

On 9/23/2021 at 1:35 PM, OtherEric said:

The Grand Comic Database lists a third variant, with "Pure as Snow" replacing "The Power and the Gory" as well as "The Woodlik Inheritance" instead of the Hunter story, it does not have the 4 -A version Sulipa describes indexed.  I'll triple-check my copy when I get home.  Anybody else have an unslabbed copy handy?

I have (if CGC is correct) a slabbed copy of Sulipas's described 4b (with 2 Corben stories) AKA GCD 4a.

As OtherEric as pointed out, Sulipa's 4b matches exactly what GCG lists as their 4a (only 2 Corben stories).

My unslabbed copy has 3 Corben stories BUT has "Pure As Snow" in place of "Power and the Gory" as per GCD 4b BUT is contrary to Sulipa's 4a.

AND it has  "The Woodlik Inheritance" in place of "Hunter" as per Sulipa BUT it does match GCD 4b.

So, I seem to have version 4b of the GCD.

To be clear (?), my issue 4 has:

The Believer!

Pure As Snow

The Thin Dime of Pain

Child

Tell-Tale Heart

Exterminator One

Woodlik Inheritance

The Monster Called Vampirella

On 9/27/2021 at 6:28 PM, Jayman said:

Just got my copy in. It seems I have the 4-B version described as the scarcer variant. It includes:

The Believer

The Power and the Gory!

The Freaks: A Thin Dime of Pain

Child

Tell-Tale Heart

Exterminator One

Hunter

The Monster Called Vampirella

79B9F9DF-9A61-419D-BDBA-0BB13E2EDC56.jpeg

165DB564-6BD1-47B5-8FE8-F73929B12D13.jpeg

That's the version I have.  I'm starting to wonder if Sulipa is wrong about it being the rarer variant; if he got a batch from the Warren warehouse he could have a skewed view.  Beautiful copy, by the way!

On 9/27/2021 at 11:20 PM, OtherEric said:

Today's book. 

6609_Eerie_005.jpg

Love it.  Beyond the excellent cover, the interiors are top notch as well.  Stories by Archie Goodwin and art by Krenkel, Williamson, Ditko, Colon, Grandenetti, etc.  

Nice grab!

On 9/27/2021 at 9:50 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Love it.  Beyond the excellent cover, the interiors are top notch as well.  Stories by Archie Goodwin and art by Krenkel, Williamson, Ditko, Colon, Grandenetti, etc.  

Nice grab!

The lists overlap a lot, but I have “all the Archie Goodwin edited Warrens” on my list just as much as “all the Frazetta Warrens”.

You'll note that list carefully avoids Eerie #1…

On 9/28/2021 at 12:17 AM, OtherEric said:

That's the version I have.  I'm starting to wonder if Sulipa is wrong about it being the rarer variant; if he got a batch from the Warren warehouse he could have a skewed view.  Beautiful copy, by the way!

If memory serves, CI #3 does have a couple of different versions as well...  hm

On 10/1/2021 at 4:12 PM, Rip said:

Here's another one I've been looking for in VF/NM or better, I just don't see this one come up very often in grade.

A good one to kick off October:)

Monsters.jpg

Beautiful looking copy!  These are pretty tough in high grade!  :headbang: