• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,265 posts in this topic

Father's Day gift from my daughter. :headbang:

138735.jpg

One of my favorite covers. The paint is such a thin layer, the speckled brown background is the bare Masonite board it was painted on.

Saw the original in person years ago at the Frazetta museum and Ellie told me Frank was out of supplies so he just ripped a piece of Masonite from

their basement ceiling to paint it on to meet the deadline.

One of the first Creepy mags I ever read. My older brother would buy them and stash them in his drawer. Very nice!

I got this in today.

2zi5.jpg

efxg.jpg

Various posts of Heavy Metal has got me hooked on another series, hence my first Heavy Metal.

Edited by chevalmeow

Heavy Metal had a huge effect on the comic art scene back in the 70's. I happen to think it started the conversion of comic art from basic pen and ink to highly-rendered art printed on glossy pages. Unfortunately I also happen to think Heavy Metal sold out and are now mostly about the salacious covers.

My copy of FM #1 just arrived. Lots of stress waiting as it was shipped all the way from Germany! Box looked pretty beat up so tense moments unpacking it. Luckily the sender was super dilligent and packed the book between two solid boards inside the box, nice to see. In hand it looks better than the ebay scan, the scuffing is minor and the reader creases are also not terrible. The big surprise was the quality of the interior pages, white to slightly off white, supple and absolutely no chipping! Very happy with the purchase, certainly not a 9.0 book but possibly a 6.5?? Opinions?

FM1.jpg

fm2.jpg

So interesting magazine came registered mail today back from CGC. Mickey Mouse Magazine V3 #4 CGC 4.0 ..... is this the first appearance of Snow White since it says on the label "Snow White and the Seven Dwars serial begins. On stands before release of movie."

My copy of FM #1 just arrived. Lots of stress waiting as it was shipped all the way from Germany! Box looked pretty beat up so tense moments unpacking it. Luckily the sender was super dilligent and packed the book between two solid boards inside the box, nice to see. In hand it looks better than the ebay scan, the scuffing is minor and the reader creases are also not terrible. The big surprise was the quality of the interior pages, white to slightly off white, supple and absolutely no chipping! Very happy with the purchase, certainly not a 9.0 book but possibly a 6.5?? Opinions?

FM1.jpg

fm2.jpg

What a relief that the interior is solid. The covers looked pretty good in the auction pics, but the interior pages were a concern. They look really nice in your photos. (thumbs u Definitely worth the 400 bucks. For that money you're not going to get anything near that quality.

I would concur on a 6.5 grade. hm The wear appears average for a 54 year old magazine. If I remember correctly, the spine was in good shape. Now that we have determined the interior pages are in good shape 6.5 would be in the ballpark.

This turned into a nice purchase! Congrats! :applause:

Mike

Here's another one that is new to me. Never seen it before but it seems to have been released at the same time as the Creepy Special #1 (SDCC '07) that I posted earlier. Anyone seen this before or have a copy? Better yet any history on it?

New Comic Company LLC Eerie Special #1e. July 2007. All Richard Corben issue. Listed as "For promotional purposes only. Not for sale." on the inside cover.

Yes, the cover is green and it is not due to my scanner. :) The numbering is different being "1e" (also printed on the upper left of the cover, hard to see due to the scuffing). Perhaps the "e" was to distinguish it as the Eerie edition or were there other promotionals "a" through "d"?

Nice glossy paper with b/w art interior pages.

j5ha.jpg

It depends on how old your son is and how cognizant he is of collector's items. There are adults who would just treat this mag poorly out of ignorance or just not caring. On the other hand, some kids who are collectors at heart would take great care of it.

In any case, your copy looks like it is in higher grade condition and should not be exploited as a "reader" regardless of who is handling it. Guys, there are not that many older FMs out there in high grade condition. When you get one it is your duty as a collector to preserve it. There are plenty of crappy copies on eBay to buy cheaply and use as "readers."

- Mike

Edited by Batko