• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Characters You Would Like To See Make A Modern Comeback? (Any Company)

106 posts in this topic

I'd love to see another from-out-of-nowhere talented writer/artist team bring back the Swamp Thing and do something that could at least match (or maybe even top) the Wein/Wrightson and Moore/Bissette/Totleben runs.

I love those comics, it would be great to have some more of their caliber.

I doubt you could top the Moore/JT/SB stuff, but it would be nice to get something close.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gaiman do a Swamp Thing story. He'd make it interesting. Morrison could do some pretty good things as well.

Is it true Gaiman was originally going to take over for Moore, but DC decided against it? (shrug)

Never heard that, but certainly doesn't mean that was the case. If it was, DC dropped the ball on that. Unless, of course, they told him he could do his Sandman instead.

IF that were the case he couldn't do both? (shrug)

I'd love to see another from-out-of-nowhere talented writer/artist team bring back the Swamp Thing and do something that could at least match (or maybe even top) the Wein/Wrightson and Moore/Bissette/Totleben runs.

I doubt you could top the Moore/JT/SB stuff, but it would be nice to get something close.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gaiman do a Swamp Thing story. He'd make it interesting. Morrison could do some pretty good things as well.

Is it true Gaiman was originally going to take over for Moore, but DC decided against it? (shrug)

Never heard that, but certainly doesn't mean that was the case. If it was, DC dropped the ball on that. Unless, of course, they told him he could do his Sandman instead.

I'm sure he could have....but, at that time, I don't recall writers being spread out across multiple titles.

As I said, I never even heard he was offered/considered for it. I was just speculating. And, it was speculation based on absolutely nothing.

From an Internet Swamp Thing site:

In 1989, Neil Gaiman wrote an essay entitled "Notes Towards a Vegetable Theology," to serve as a bible to DC's supernatural comics line. The essay tied in with his plans for the Swamp Thing character when he and Jamie Delano were hired to succeed Rick Veitch as Swamp Thing writers. After Veitch prematurely quit the series in protest over DC's cancelation of issue #88 (his well-publicized "Swamp Thing meets Jeses" story—see above), Gaiman and Delano showed their support for Veitch by declining the job, and Doug Wheeler took over writing chores instead. Gaiman's "Vegetable Theology" was originally slated for printing in an issue of Black Orchid, but that never happened. Reproductions of the essay have since been auctioned by the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, but otherwise, it remains unavailable to fans.

Gaiman is attributed to saying the following in an interview:

"I didn't really have any [specific plans for the Swamp Thing character]. We never quite really got that far. I had a few ideas about what I was going to do. It was going to be me and Jamie Delano. We were going to split it, and do sort of three issues each on a turnabout basis. Neither of us could have done another monthly book at twelve issues a year, but we could have done it on that basis. It really hadn't even got to the plotting stages. Having said that, there was a lot of stuff that I did, back when I was originally creating Black Orchid, in terms of working out a unified vegetable theology in the DC world. So there is a lot of stuff in the background that I know about the Swamp Thing world that we never used. Some of that was hinted at in the Annual [swamp Thing #Annual 5]." Gaimain later told the interviewer: "I was going to bring him [Jason Woodrue] back as a villain. He was getting back to being Woodrue, the Rue of the Wood, and probably on a much bigger scale, a much nastier scale. It would have been fun, but again it didn't happen. I probably would have brought back Black Orchid in there. I don't know, because as I said, it never got that far. . ."

I 2nd or 3rd or 4th Mr. Monster...I have them all and would love to get some more.

Blue Devil...in his own series(1st series I "collected")

Captain Carrot...putting together a set of his old stuff right now

1.Solo--appeared in spiderman a couple times (not sure why but I liked him)

2.Blue Devil --Cool character

3.Firestorm--but bring back Ronnie Raymond

4.Spectre-but bring back Corrigan

5.Quasar

6.Metal Men

7. Adam Strange

8. Hawkman

9.Aquaman

10.Shi

Even though its more then 10

Phantom Stranger and Animal man

** I got so excited to listed characters I wanted new series from that I did not contain them to the copper age. OOPPS

5.Quasar

6.Metal Men

7. Adam Strange

8. Hawkman

9.Aquaman

10.Shi

** I got so excited to listed characters I wanted new series from that I did not contain them to the copper age. OOPPS

Definately bring them back as those versions! I was not a fan at all of the Hal Jordan Spectre! what was DC management thinking? :screwy:

Brat Pack!

I'd have to think a bit for 2-10, but hands down, the number one spot for me would be Ambush Bug.

Giffen, if you're trolling google looking for your name, please know this was always your best creation and we miss him (and this is someone who loves all your work, not least of which is your, in my mind, definitive JLA book).

Did you pick up the recent Ambush Bug 1-Shot?

No, didn't know about it. Will do it. I did get the recent six issue LS.

thanks

Maybe that's what I got, it was numbered all funky so I thought it was a one shot and just part of the joke. Haha, I think it was numbered like issue 7 of 6 or something.

If there's five more of those out there I'll have to go get them.

yeah, that's the one i'm thinking about. 7 issue LS.

i just crave more. (and this one wasn't that funny)

Actually it was a 6 issue limited series. He used the "7 of 6" joke because the last issue took so long to come out (like 9 months).

Personally I don't think he could've done it (well). To keep Swamp Thing's storytelling up to Moore's level and write Sandman like he did? That's too much, too intense. I think DC did the right thing - they got one spectacular title from him instead of two mediocre ones.

Gaiman was slated to follow Veitch, not Moore, and he was going to split the scripting duties with Jamie Delano who was still writing Hellblazer.You are right that it was probably a good thing.

5.Quasar

6.Metal Men

7. Adam Strange

8. Hawkman

9.Aquaman

10.Shi

Apparently they made a Solo movie at some point. I saw part of it on cable a few days ago and nearly puked.

affiche.jpg

5.Quasar

6.Metal Men

7. Adam Strange

8. Hawkman

9.Aquaman

10.Shi

Apparently they made a Solo movie at some point. I saw part of it on cable a few days ago and nearly puked.

affiche.jpg

:roflmao: I don't think that's the same ''SOLO'' :roflmao:

My top 10 character list includes:

Kamandi (DC)

Rocketeer (Pacific, Comico, Dark Horse)

John Carter, Warlord of Mars (Gold Key, DC, Marvel)

X-O Manowar (Valiant)

Jack Tenrec/Hannah Dundee - Xenozoic Tales (Kitchen Sink, Marvel, Dark Horse)

Dr. Spektor (Gold Key)

Firestorm - Ronnie Raymond (DC)

Nexus (Capital, First, Dark Horse, Rude Dude)

Ghost (Dark Horse)

Tarzan (Dell, Gold Key, DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Malibu)

DC had the momentum to bring Kamandi back, both with Countdown and Wednesday Comics and I'm very disappointed we didn't get a series. I know Rocketeer is remote with Dave Stevens' death, but I'd love to see the character return under another artist's influence, like Timothy Truman or one of the Kubert brothers. John Carter will probably get a series in the next few years since a movie is imminent. Valiant's revival has sputtered, but I still have hope we'll see Aric Dacia back in the X-O Manowar armor. Mark Schultz's Xenozoic Tales is one of the best comics ever made. Dark Horse has already announced we'll be getting Magnus, Solar, Turok, and Mighty Samson, so there is hope we'll see Dr. Spektor as well. Firestorm is one of the coolest characters made in the 70s and it's a shame DC cannot find a way to produce a successful series with this character. It's unfortunate that Nexus couldn't find its feet in today's market, as it is one of my favorite series. Steve Rude should have stuck with this a little longer, put out issues on a timely basis, and the series would have found legs. I always thought Ghost was the best character to come out of Dark Horse's Comics' Greatest Worlds weekly series. Finally, with all the characters being published, how is it possible one of the oldest serialized characters, Tarzan, does not have a modern series.

Runner ups include:

Airboy (Eclipse)

Dracula (Marvel)

Frankenstein (Marvel)

Werewolf by Night (Marvel)

Son of Satan (Marvel)

Dagar (Gold Key)

Cain/Abel (DC)

Deathlok (Marvel)

Starfire - not from Teen Titans (DC)

Starhunters (DC)

Sergeant Rock (DC)