• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing GA Comics in a Fire-Proof Safe, Any Hazzards?

41 posts in this topic

In conclusion do you all feel I should remove my comics from the safe to make sure?

Again the safe is not in a humid climate and it is in a temp controlled room so I do not feel humidity is likely in the safe if it has not been sealed for months and months straight.

In conclusion do you all feel I should remove my comics from the safe to make sure?

Again the safe is not in a humid climate and it is in a temp controlled room so I do not feel humidity is likely in the safe if it has not been sealed for months and months straight.

I don't think I'd store paper in a Sentry safe. After reading Steve's thread about the Hulk last year, I became concerned about my Liberty Safe. I think it varies safe by safe, but they way they manufacture Sentry safes seems to be the problem.

* General Sentry instructions link (see Warning at top of center column): http://www.sentrysafe.com/pdfs/instructions/4digit-electronic.pdf

* At the bottom of this page, it says the the insulation releases moisture during a fire: http://www.securityworld.com/ia-20-security-with-sentry-safes.aspx

This "patented insulation with high moisture content" is the problem. I suspect this insulation is constantly releasing moisture into the safe. :sick:

Which safe you buy, depends upon what you're most trying to protect against - theft, fire, flood. The FireKing looks to be the best safe I've seen overall - most safes, including Liberty, are only rated to keep internal temps below 350 deg in case of fire.

Regardless of which safe you buy, I'd recommend reading the manufacturer's warnings and adding some type of moisture monitoring and moisture control devices to your safe. I currently use Oregon Scientific Temp and Humidity Sensor (it tracks current, min and max temp and humidity), Safe Dri2 desssicant (it's rechargeable in the oven) and an EVA-Dri dehumidifier (it's rechargeable by plugging in). Don't use an electric dehumidifier.

Don't want the safe to do more harm than good!

96399.jpg.6dc4e3c4372afa2d2e1071e77048494c.jpg

Hey Bat-Man! I have thought about this issue many times over the last couple years -- purchased a few of these Sentry fire-proof, water-proof safes. Then I read the threads on these Boards a couple years ago and freaked, and immediately removed my really high $$$$ comics from them, just in case. At the moment, and for the last 2 years, I have some hockey cards and some "cheaper" comics and mags inside with silica gel packs acting as dessicants inside -- an 'experiment" if you will to see the effect of these conditions on these items over time. My really high-end stuff I had to store in my safety deposit box at the bank ---- other low to mid-priced stuff is still at home in climate-controlled environments - dehumidifier/dessicant packs (no safety deposit box THAT big for everything). I figure fire, if it happens, may destroy some of my stuff, unfortunately, but big stuff still relatively safe in the bank -- and thieves (a way bigger concern to me than fire) may focus on the Sentry safes (decoy) thinking there is something of great value there, when in reality the low to mid $$ stuff is scattered amongst cheapo -- thieves typically don't spend 3 hours searching your house for that one killer comic book, but grab that safe and run?? - sure go ahead! Although the massively heavy $6500 gun safe may be the best idea if you don't want to run to the bank every time you want to see your grail (I've learned to accept visitation with my grails via photobucket).

I don't think I'd store paper in a Sentry safe. After reading Steve's thread about the Hulk last year, I became concerned about my Liberty Safe. I think it varies safe by safe, but they way they manufacture Sentry safes seems to be the problem.

* General Sentry instructions link (see Warning at top of center column): http://www.sentrysafe.com/pdfs/instructions/4digit-electronic.pdf

* At the bottom of this page, it says the the insulation releases moisture during a fire: http://www.securityworld.com/ia-20-security-with-sentry-safes.aspx

This "patented insulation with high moisture content" is the problem. I suspect this insulation is constantly releasing moisture into the safe. :sick:

Which safe you buy, depends upon what you're most trying to protect against - theft, fire, flood. The FireKing looks to be the best safe I've seen overall - most safes, including Liberty, are only rated to keep internal temps below 350 deg in case of fire.

Regardless of which safe you buy, I'd recommend reading the manufacturer's warnings and adding some type of moisture monitoring and moisture control devices to your safe. I currently use Oregon Scientific Temp and Humidity Sensor (it tracks current, min and max temp and humidity), Safe Dri2 desssicant (it's rechargeable in the oven) and an EVA-Dri dehumidifier (it's rechargeable by plugging in). Don't use an electric dehumidifier.

Don't want the safe to do more harm than good!

Why not an "electric" dehumidifier ?? --- curious

An electric dehumidifier uses heat to remove moisture from the air. Electric dehumidfiers are common for gun safes to keep metal from rusting. I believe they generate heat, which causes air movement within the safe, but will also cause the temperature to be warmer inside the safe vs. outside.

Besides the moisture devices, I also try to open the safe weekly. I've never noticed any moisture damage to my books. I even have a couple that already had rusty staples - no difference.

I used to store my comics in a safety deposit box. A few yrs ago, I noticed one of the boxes had rust spots on the inside. :o There was moisture somewhere. Best to ask bank how they control temps in the vault.

An electric dehumidifier uses heat to remove moisture from the air. Electric dehumidfiers are common for gun safes to keep metal from rusting. I believe they generate heat, which causes air movement within the safe, but will also cause the temperature to be warmer inside the safe vs. outside.

Besides the moisture devices, I also try to open the safe weekly. I've never noticed any moisture damage to my books. I even have a couple that already had rusty staples - no difference.

I used to store my comics in a safety deposit box. A few yrs ago, I noticed one of the boxes had rust spots on the inside. :o There was moisture somewhere. Best to ask bank how they control temps in the vault.

WHAT!!?? I can't even trust a bank vault? WTF is this world coming to ...... seriously, some good points, Thank you ...... BTW my electric humidifier is in the room where my books are, so probably doesn't contribute greatly to overall heat that would effect the books (and I have central air conditioning for hot summer months) - I'm probably OK with this, right? But I will definitely look into your dehumidifying device anyway ...

WHAT!!?? I can't even trust a bank vault? WTF is this world coming to ...... seriously, some good points, Thank you ...... BTW my electric humidifier is in the room where my books are, so probably doesn't contribute greatly to overall heat that would effect the books (and I have central air conditioning for hot summer months) - I'm probably OK with this, right? But I will definitely look into your dehumidifying device anyway ...

:P

:P

What is a really scary thought is that no matter how hard we try, over time (long), all our beloved books will perish eventually in one way or another. :(

Granted the techniques we use today have stopped the "perishing" of GA books 1,000,000 fold and it may take "centuries" (we will all be long gone) but one day all GA books will be gone.......

Wonder how much the last Tec 27 will be worth then? A country? :grin:

Like safes, I'm sure bank vaults vary in how well they temp control. Many collectors have stored comics in safes and vaults without any problems. I'm sure most vaults are fine and they regularly open the door, so you get circulation.

Maybe the rust was already on the box before I put my books in yrs before? Don't know. Books showed no signs of any adverse affect, but decided not to risk it.

The electric room dehumidifiers are fine. I was only talking about the ones specifically made for a safe - they are a long metal tube (see attachment - they look like an aquarium heater). Sorry for the confusion.

96410.jpg.6d151ce8b39011e5a015f760030b1445.jpg

I generally store my more expensive books on a shelf I installed above my shower in my bathroom... nothing like soap suds, steam and funny books :insane:

MAKE SURE IF YOU STORE YOUR BOOKS AT A BANK THE TEMPERATURE REMAINS CONSISTANT!

What I am saying is make sure the AC stays on at your bank during the 2 day weekend. A LOT of banks turn off the AC on the weekends when no one is there to save on costs. Nothing is worse to a comic than constant temperature fluctuations. It is better for a comic to be at 74 degrees all the time than to be at 66 degrees part of the time and 78 degrees at other times. That will accelerate the age of the comic.

West

I generally store my more expensive books on a shelf I installed above my shower in my bathroom... nothing like soap suds, steam and funny books :insane:

:roflmao:

"It gives the book character and puts hair on there chests storing them that way"

If only Edgar Church had stored his comics in a climate controlled fire/data safe, then perhaps they would be in even better condition hm

Same with the Crippen books!

Stored in a humid garage for years :tonofbricks:

MAKE SURE IF YOU STORE YOUR BOOKS AT A BANK THE TEMPERATURE REMAINS CONSISTANT!

What I am saying is make sure the AC stays on at your bank during the 2 day weekend. A LOT of banks turn off the AC on the weekends when no one is there to save on costs. Nothing is worse to a comic than constant temperature fluctuations. It is better for a comic to be at 74 degrees all the time than to be at 66 degrees part of the time and 78 degrees at other times. That will accelerate the age of the comic.

West

My bank used to turn the vault A/C off on weekends. Now it's only off on Sunday. As an aside, I called every bank in the northwest suburbs and when I asked them what they did with the A/C, they refused to answer. I had to personally go in to the bank to get an answer. I assume they thought I was fishing for information that could compromise their security.

I'm also actually thinking about getting a gun safe...

Most of the banks in my area do not have climate controlled vaults so I figured I'd rather just keep my books at home where I can control the humidity.

Does anyone have a Mesa Gun Safe?

I've found prices online exceeding $2000 for this safe but I found some for just over $600 :o

I think it's just to good of a price to pass up.

MesaSafeMBF6032E.jpg

Specifications

# 1 hour fire rating tested in temperatures up to 1750 degrees Fahrenheit

# Battery-operated, electronic lock protected by a drill resistant hard plate and a spring-loaded relocking device

# Interior shelving can be adjusted to meet your unique storage needs

# Interior shelves, walls and door panel fully upholstered

# 4 anchor holes provided to secure your safe to the floor

# Reinforced 1.5" thick steel door for added burglary protection

# High strength unitized 12-gauge body

# Massive 1" diameter solid steel live locking bolt

# Massive 1" diameter solid steel dead bolts lock deep into the body preventing door removal during a forced entry attempt

# Easily change your personal code in seconds

# The keypad will go into a lock-out penalty if combinations are entered incorrectly, frustrating the would-be-burglar

# Decorative brass tri-spoke handle

# Long rifle kit

# Textured back

# Brass trim

Dimensions:

# Cubic feet: 13’

# Gun capacity: 22 rifles

# Exterior dimensions: 59"H x 32"W x 22"D

# Interior dimensions: 55.5"H x 28.5"W x 14.25"D

# Approx. weight: 580 lbs.