• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you excel?

138 posts in this topic

1. What you excel in eg. Genre, title, publisher etc. ?

I know this may be hard to believe, but I excel in collecting Hulks. However, once that run was complete I had to get all the Hulk x-overs, which led me to collecting the other silver age marvel titles (pre-1965 only, as I'm very focused in my collecting), which took me a $/while, during which time I subscribed to CBM and CBG to pick those up from the ads, which exposed me to Carl Barks (as well as dabbling in collecting animation art) and at one point I had all the Barks Four Colors ('cept #9) and since I bought the Gerbers to check them out I was exposed to all the other cool Golden Age books, and ebay/internet allowed me to start selling some dupes and such so I could afford some of those cool Cole/Schomburg WWII/horror/sci-fi books, and then the Neal Adams CBM issue came out and my buddy Roy got back into collecting and since he was so into late silver/early bronze DC's I decided just to collect those as well but since I focus my collection, I pretty much went after the Adams and Wrightson covers and horror titles exclusively. I feel a focused collection is a must if you ever want to get to "...the end of the road..."! 27_laughing.gif

2. Do you think you are one of the biggest collectors in that area?

I've met most of the collectors in my area, and I do believe I have one of the biggest collections of Hulks/pre-1965 Silver Age Marvel superhero/Barks ducks/LB Cole/Schomburg/Adams/Wrightson/early Bronze DC horror collections in my whole neighborhood!!

2b. Once had 818 total copies of Iron Man and Sub-Mariner # 1 of which 55 were CGC'd. I have sold some in 2003 and under 800 left now.

Aw, c'mon guys. Am I really the only person who thinks this is strange ?

Nope - someone has to have the majority of the copies from "that" warehouse find...why not Cal?

I don't think it was a warehouse find. I think he bought them one by one, but you'd have to ask Cal to be sure.

And Ian, quit responding to obvious bait from 1-post shills, because you're only exacerbating the problem by allowing the trolls to get your goat.

You're 100% right, CentaurMan, and I already regret replying to him. But he came on here and with his first posting dredged up some sarcastic skit about me that I'd mercifully never had to see before, and I still wish I hadn't seen it, and I just found it too difficult not to respond. That's my problem - I wear my heart on my sleeve. And sometimes speak first and think later.

You could go and delete your posts. Sort of like doubling back to take the high road. smile.gif

1) Mostly Silver/Bronze and Modern Marvel. I do have some DC's and

2) I think I have one of the bigger collections with over 16,000 comics. But no where near the biggest or the best.

I'll ask Doug one day....he'll know. grin.gif

There must be a fair few out there who would have every HOM, HOS, Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, Witching Hour etc. in 9.2 or better, as they're generally not impossible to obtain. So I'll say no.

I disagree Andy.

First of all, a complete run of House Of Mystery is incredibly difficult to assemble, Certain numbers like 17, 27, 37, and 50 are seriously scarce. (House Of Secrets is far easier.)

Then if you could assemble a complete run, I'd venture to say that a run of 9.2s of the whole set would be virtually impossible.

I'm with Ian on this. HOM is a pain in the arse for the first 50 or 60 issues-and the ones you do get--be happy they are FN. For the Bronze Age HOM, it's easier, but I'm still waiting to upgrade quite a few... Modern HOM is pretty much a cake walk, but certain issues come up with less frequency.

HOS is easier, because they didn't start the series until much after HOM. The earlier issues are difficult in high grade. I'm tickled if I find a CGC 8.0 copy.

Generally speaking, I have a far better time finding Marvel Bronze horror in high grade than DCs. I still feel the sting for selling my HOM #1 CGC 9.0...

Cool, I have HOM #50--The Orsen Welles issue. And I haven't seen another copy since.

BTW, Terry's Comics out of CA told me at a ComicCon that he has seen a complete run of HOM. So, I guess it can be done...but I think the high grade thing is a dream for that series...

Terry's Comics out of CA told me at a ComicCon that he has seen a complete run of HOM. So, I guess it can be done...but I think the high grade thing is a dream for that series...

I have a complete run.

Richie Muchin recently acquired a set of 1 to 35, which finally got me my long-missing 17 and a replacement 7 for a really horrible copy with writing on the cover.

My set doesn't look too bad now.

Funny how the rarest issues of House Of Mystery all have 7 in them.... 7, 17, 27 and 37 are the hardest to find.

2 - I daren't answer this for fear of being accused of being self absorbed again. If I answer yes, then I will be so accused, and if I answer no, then I'll be accused of mocking the thread. So how do I answer it ???

Just post what is on your mind - tell it like it is - what is the worst thing that can happen to you? The others might flame you? They might cause you grief here? The Forum Members know which ones to believe anyway. And the ones who don't, there is no convincing them anyway! hi.gif

Hey there Darth

I did get most of the Iron Man/Subby's one at a time, mostly on eBay. I picked up 10 at the San Diego Con in 2002. I get one to maybe 5 at the LA Monthy Comic Con. But there are so many out there now, I just try to get really high-grades.

I sure did not want to stir up too much by my post. It looks like I got some attention that might be unwarranted. Just trying to have some fun with this Thread. Maybe I should have let this one slip by me. But it is too late for that. So now I gotta go and get some pictures. hi.gif

1). Archie!

2). I know of one person with a complete collection 1941-present 893whatthe.gif (Hey, I guess he's the Archie Ian equivalent!)

And I'm sure there are some others out there. I'm about 80% done with 1941-1971(100% done with the "Archie Comics" title smile.gif) and it's a relatively obscure niche so I'll say "Yes!"

Man, I've had a hard time figuring out how to answer this one!

- DCs 1968-1974, but just the cooler stuff (most Bob Haney written issues need not apply crazy.gif)

- DCs 1960-1967, but centered on the Julie Schwartz shop. And if the story has been reprinted, it is no longer a priority to get the original.

- Also got most Charlton 'Action Heroes', all the Tower Comics T.H.U.N.D.E.R related books.

- A very few 1950s DCs (all the Kirby/Wood Challengers, a few Infantino/Anderson Adam Strange issues)

- Most recently, a couple hundred or so Golden Age DC, Quality, Fawcett (all Fair to Fine frown.gif). Again, I'm on the lookout for issues containing stories never reprinted, and WWII covers always capture my interest.

- And, just to assure everyone I'm not anti-Marvel, I have all the Frank Miller Daredevil, Steranko Strange Tales/Nick Fury, most of the Barry Smith Conan, the Adams and Smith runs of Avengers, all the later Kirby S.A. Fantastic Four, with much of the other classic stuff in TPB or Masterworks format.

Therefore, I think it safe to say I am one of the biggest collectors of the kinda stuff Zonker likes! acclaim.gif

I was wondering:

Danny

1. I am working on a Barry Windsor-Smith set. Right now my focus is Conan and Nick Fury. I also find Steranko popping up more and more on my watch/want list, though I have yet to go after any of his stuff. That will most likely change. Other than that, I look for good reads that I remember or are recommended by others. Cap 172-175 would be an example.

2. Absolutely not! But, as several others have said, give me time!

Cool thread.

The pics are truly impressive Cal, but I am moved to ask why ? Does your collection have a definable goal (you want 1000 copies ? you want every copy ? every high grade copy ? what ?). Do you find that this area interferes with your collecting as a whole, either financially or maybe just in terms of storage space ? What is it about this issue that is so special to you ? Are there any others books that you would like to collect so completely ?

The pics are truly impressive Cal, but I am moved to ask why ? Does your collection have a definable goal (you want 1000 copies ? you want every copy ? every high grade copy ? what ?). Do you find that this area interferes with your collecting as a whole, either financially or maybe just in terms of storage space ? What is it about this issue that is so special to you ? Are there any others books that you would like to collect so completely ?

That comic actually preceded Iron man #1 and Sub-mariner #1 but books for less than either. Has CalAmerica induced an artificial shortage on the number of circulating copies of this book? Interesting idea.

800 copies of any one comic is pretty impressive.. especially one from 1968.

I-S-1-004.jpg

This is not too good of a pik so I will get some better ones tomorrow.

I-S-1-009.jpg

And I might take some extra time to count what I have left anyway.

I-S-1-011.jpg

The question is....why? What's your fascination for the issue that would drive you to get over 800 copies?

What the hell are you going to do with them?

Jim

I was wondering:

My collecting attributes closely parrallel my work attributes....in work I am a jack-of-all-trades...so in collecting I guess you can say I am a jack-of-all-genre...

I collect GA,SA,BA comics, pulps, big-little books, original art, magazines and other memorabilia that suits my fancy....

Depends on how big of an area you are talking???...