• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery #83 Club
18 18

997 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Fair.

But no precedent in the Marvel books, unlike all the other characters, right?

I guess you are right that the entire superhero pantheon are interpretations of earlier stuff/ideas. All starting with superman/batman being a light/darkness-riff over the otherworldly samarithan (christ) over against the son of darkness (satan). Heck, they are all archetypes.

On 5/26/2021 at 11:47 PM, alexgross.com said:

and yet a lovely 5.5 sells tonight on CL for 10k less than that 6.0 sold for a week or two ago. makes no sense right now. 

I've been trying to follow (I should say DETERMINE) FMV on this book in a low grade for months now and I'm still totally lost. In April two separate 2.5s sold on IG for around $9500 each but I feel like that's not sustainable at that grade. GPA has the high sale on a 2.0 at $5100 and a 2.5 at $6800. So again, I have zero clue on what this book is worth these days. I did buy a CGC 1.8 SS for $6200 that I'm up in the air about keeping or moving on from. I've never been so conflicted about a grail before, but this market is messing with my mind hardcore. 

Edited by serling1978
Typos!!!

9 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

I've been trying to follow (I should say DETERMINE) FMV on this book in a low grade for months now and I'm still totally lost. In April two separate 2.5s sold on IG for around $9500 each but I feel like that's not sustainable at that grade. GPA has the high sale on a 2.0 at $5100 and a 2.5 at $6800. So again, I have zero clue on what this book is worth these days. I did buy a CGC 1.8 SS for $6200 that I'm up in the air about keeping or moving on from. I've never been so conflicted about a grail before, but this market is messing with my mind hardcore. 

I've seen your 1.8 SS and if I remember correctly it's a really pretty one. 

I would personally keep it. Did you over pay a little?? I really don't know.  But in b the long run, I think you'll be fine. And I'm not a big signature series guy, but some books it just makes sense. Stan, on JIM83, is pretty freaking cool! 

Anyone living in Miami that would be interested in trading me a 5.0 or up? 

Stuff I have:

JIM 84 CGC 4.0

Avengers #1 CGC 4.0

JIM 85 CGC 5.0 

THOR #165 CGC 8.0 

SOME CASH

3 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Geez you guys 5-6 years ago that was a CGC 5.5 to 6.0 now for the same amount you get a 1.5.

Yup! A bit more data on low grades,  2 years ago I bought a 1.0 for $1700.  It was here on the boards and I probably got a good price at the time. 

I traded that book locally+$900 for a 2.0 about 6 months ago. The shop owner sold the 1.0 for $3400

So that 1.0 had 100% appreciation in 2 years and it's probably worth more today. 

On 8/21/2021 at 4:25 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

What is the going rate on a super nice looking JIM83 CGC 6.0?

I saw on CL a 1.5 went for 7500$ and a 2.5 9500$.

According to GPA,

6.5 CGC sold for $40,000 in August, 2021.
3.5 CGC sold for $10,800 in August, 2021.
3.0 CGC sold for $10,500 in August, 2021.
2.5 CGC sold for $10,000 in July, 2021.
1.8 CGC sold for $5,760 in August, 2021.
1.5 CGC sold for $6,000 in August, 2021.

These are the only books that sold during July and August, 2021. This is probably not what you're looking for, but I didn't want to list prices that are two months or more older.

On 8/25/2021 at 7:37 AM, RayJr said:

I wonder what my JIM 4.5 (Signature Series) is going for then? Haven’t been able to check due to being over here in Korea until April 

GPA shows the last 4.5 Sig series (stan) went for $9300 in Sept 2020.  It doesn't look like ANY SS have sold in any grade since the price explosion happened earlier this year.

On 8/25/2021 at 10:31 PM, Pantodude said:

JIM title on a role tonight.  JIM#1 6.0 OW sold for $14,249 on CL with no prior sales this grade on GPA, but looks like a real strong result.  JIM83 9.0 W soared for $118K.    

The #1 sale was truly eye-popping.

However, that $118K is way down from the $145K that a 9.0 WP got in the April ComicLink auction.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1479747

Granted, that other one was noticeably nicer but it's still a step back.

On 8/25/2021 at 11:11 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The #1 sale was truly eye-popping.

However, that $118K is way down from the $145K that a 9.0 WP got in the April ComicLink auction.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1479747

Granted, that other one was noticeably nicer but it's still a step back.

Ah, I didn’t know (or forgot) the CL result.  I thought $118K was a high by a lot!  I really, really wish there were one source with all these results.  Someone needs to make this happen.  Maybe last night’s bidders were unaware (like me) of the $145K as a potential yardstick and bid less than they would have.  

On 8/25/2021 at 8:47 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks Ray!!! It's a favorite of mine! Just so early and cool!!! Kirby drew a GREAT cover!!!

You are welcome my brother. I agree with you on that Kirby drew a great few covers for this iconic character 

On 8/26/2021 at 6:08 AM, RayJr said:

You are welcome my brother. I agree with you on that Kirby drew a great few covers for this iconic character 

Oh yeah, Kirby was SO creative! In about a year and a half, in the early 60s, his co-creations with Stan were more than most artists would do in their lifetime!!! There's a reason we call him the King! I still think he doesn't fully get the credit he deserves.