• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery #83 Club
18 18

997 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, pickycollector said:

That is a major crease on lower right corner for a 9.0 (shrug)

I wouldn’t call it a “major” crease. It’s actually quite subtle as far as how much it breaks color. And the book otherwise looks 9.4. So I think the grade is justified.

Edited by LDarkseid1

9 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

It’s doing very well!

8523C9EA-CD5D-41A8-8775-FE25005131BF.jpeg

Still shaking my head over this result.  This exact copy had been offered at $80K on eBay and taken down (presumably, sold for less than that) just a few months ago.

An upgrade to 9.0 was probably my most sought-after collecting goal ... for some reason JIM #83 gets me more excited than AF #15 or any of the other big keys.  But I can't justify that price.

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Still shaking my head over this result.  This exact copy had been offered at $80K on eBay and taken down (presumably, sold for less than that) just a few months ago.

An upgrade to 9.0 was probably my most sought-after collecting goal ... for some reason JIM #83 gets me more excited than AF #15 or any of the other big keys.  But I can't justify that price.

Keep in mind that Marvels Thor universe in its entirety was lifted from Nordic mythology. Everything : characters, background, storylines, equipment. Only the sci fi twist and Kirbys designwork was “original”.

just sayin.

2 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Keep in mind that Marvels Thor universe in its entirety was lifted from Nordic mythology. Everything : characters, background, storylines, equipment. Only the sci fi twist and Kirbys designwork was “original”.

just sayin.

Kirby had even used the name "Thor" for a strikingly similar character years earlier in DC's tales of the unexpected. 

Still, I love JIM83.  Classic cover and the launch of one of Marvels key characters for decades to come. 

IMG_20210121_171418710.jpg

IMG_20210121_171410708.jpg

Edited by KCOComics

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

Kirby had even used the name "Thor" for a strikingly similar character years earlier in DC's tales of the unexpected. 

Still, I love JIM83.  Classic cover and the launch of one of Marvels key characters for decades to come. 

IMG_20210121_171418710.jpg

IMG_20210121_171410708.jpg

Make no mistake. I am a huge fan of JIM 83. I love The King.

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

There's another CGC 9.0 copy just listed on the CL Exchange (same buy price as the one that sold).

I recognize both the auction copy and the current exchange copy. I slabbed them both years ago. lol

JIM #83 is one of my favorite books of all time. :cloud9:

Edited by VintageComics

13 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

just sayin.

So ... it sounds like you're saying I shouldn't be that excited about the book or the character because the concepts were lifted directly from mythology?  ???

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

So ... it sounds like you're saying I shouldn't be that excited about the book or the character because the concepts were lifted directly from mythology?  ???

I am myself exited about JIM 83. Its just not as “original” as the other SA keys.

16 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Its just not as “original” as the other SA keys.

Pretty much every Marvel Silver Age character came from a previous variation of some sort. Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Spider-man, the FF, Hulk...only one I can't really remember any previous inspiration for was Daredevil.

Are there any Daredevil 'protoypes' that I don't remember from the original, early 60's Marvel heroes?

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Pretty much every Marvel Silver Age character came from a previous variation of some sort. Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Spider-man, the FF, Hulk...only one I can't really remember any previous inspiration for was Daredevil.

Are there any Daredevil 'protoypes' that I don't remember from the original, early 60's Marvel heroes?

DD is a Marvel induced Batman ripoff

12 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

DD is a Marvel induced Batman ripoff

Fair.

But no precedent in the Marvel books, unlike all the other characters, right?