• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,254 posts in this topic

Kudos to Junkdrawer on the Gunfighter 8! White pages too! (thumbs u Pretty fierce bidding.

Ingels' western covers stand out in a genre that was usually drawn in a more realistic style, though it apparently wasn't appreciated by EC at the time. He is revered for his horror, from which he couldn't run away fast enough in later years. I wonder if he felt pride in his covers for Youthful, EC, Avon, etc. I think some of them are expressive masterpieces.

Lots of sweet western from CC this go around. $20 says damonwad took those Church Indian Fighters. Dang I should have tried harder but I had already got the S&K Western Fighters 1 and a kind of horror book from CL that maxed me out. Too many books, not enough $.

World Around Us #2. An old standard but always a pleasure when I come across it after not seeing it for awhile. The downward angle is divine - imbues it with kinetic energy that would be lacking on the horizontal. Cover painting by Gerald McCann.

According to Everett Raymond Kinstler, "Gerry had a natural talent for working with dry brush in black & white ink. His detective and western work for the pulps was very graphic and strong. He did some work for Avon Comics and Classics Illustrated Comics, but I never felt that he was comfortable with comic books, or related much to that field. Gerry was a big guy. He had prematurely gray hair. He smoked cigars and cigarettes, and he liked beer and whiskey."

When asked about his prolific output, McCann said, "People often ask me how I keep coming up with fresh ideas. I tell them I drink a lot."

According to Jim Vadeboncoeur, "Gerald McCann, surprisingly enough, ended up at Dell in the early 1960s. Eventually he too just gave up on the comics. Or perhaps the comics gave up on him. Even with some softening inkers, McCann still looked right out of the 1940s. I'm sure he wasn't happy with the bastardized results, but he wasn't especially suited to the medium of comic books."

WAUIndiansfc100_zps8ba4c039.jpg

And Maneely's take again on the center line showdown. I'm a big fan of this perspective. Maneely (and others) go at it more than a few times (I'll see about editing in titles and issue numbers later) but on this cover he really nails it. It is perfection.

One 9.0 out there somewhere. Al Stoltz has a nice looking copy on Ebay, fyi.

WildWestern41fc100_zpsf92d0cd8.jpg

World Around Us #2. An old standard but always a pleasure when I come across it after not seeing it for awhile. The downward angle is divine - imbues it with kinetic energy that would be lacking on the horizontal. Cover painting by Gerald McCann.

According to Everett Raymond Kinstler, "Gerry had a natural talent for working with dry brush in black & white ink. His detective and western work for the pulps was very graphic and strong. He did some work for Avon Comics and Classics Illustrated Comics, but I never felt that he was comfortable with comic books, or related much to that field. Gerry was a big guy. He had prematurely gray hair. He smoked cigars and cigarettes, and he liked beer and whiskey."

When asked about his prolific output, McCann said, "People often ask me how I keep coming up with fresh ideas. I tell them I drink a lot."

According to Jim Vadeboncoeur, "Gerald McCann, surprisingly enough, ended up at Dell in the early 1960s. Eventually he too just gave up on the comics. Or perhaps the comics gave up on him. Even with some softening inkers, McCann still looked right out of the 1940s. I'm sure he wasn't happy with the bastardized results, but he wasn't especially suited to the medium of comic books."

And Maneely's take again on the center line showdown. I'm a big fan of this perspective. Maneely (and others) go at it more than a few times (I'll see about editing in titles and issue numbers later) but on this cover he really nails it. It is perfection.

Great observations. Is anyone as knowledgable across genres and eras as the good doctor? (worship)

Kudos to Junkdrawer on the Gunfighter 8! White pages too! (thumbs u Pretty fierce bidding.

Ingels' western covers stand out in a genre that was usually drawn in a more realistic style, though it apparently wasn't appreciated by EC at the time. He is revered for his horror, from which he couldn't run away fast enough in later years. I wonder if he felt pride in his covers for Youthful, EC, Avon, etc. I think some of them are expressive masterpieces.

Lots of sweet western from CC this go around. $20 says damonwad took those Church Indian Fighters. Dang I should have tried harder but I had already got the S&K Western Fighters 1 and a kind of horror book from CL that maxed me out. Too many books, not enough $.

Ain't it the truth, my friend?

Great observations. Is anyone as knowledgable across genres and eras as the good doctor? (worship)

I wish I knew more about the books I buy. To be honest I just liked the girl's :censored:

Cover painting by Gerald McCann.

According to Everett Raymond Kinstler, "Gerry had a natural talent for working with dry brush in black & white ink."

Gerald McCann always did at least a decent job of telling the story. Sometimes when he was inspired, his solid drybrush style really conveyed drama and intensity.

He drew one of my favorite stories in one of my favorite comics. The tense storytelling, the unforgettable monster...masterful stuff by McCann!

"The Black Stallion" written by John Stanley, from Dell's 1962 Ghost Stories.

151579.jpg.590c344bf70338f90d00afba46d5e5cf.jpg

151580.jpg.cea167c47351e48f515c19728e453655.jpg

151581.jpg.a474890c6de41068df8b71f0621b6bf7.jpg

151583.jpg.c117e507d340b26025576e2aaf5e538d.jpg

151584.jpg.f564bffd5287897d3dfda3b386d5959d.jpg

Here's a Western from a Detective comic... 1948's Kerry Drake Detective Cases #15

Art by Bob Powell

Fantastic. boy when Powell was good, he was really good. The mini-splash panel on the first page, and the two bottom panels on the second page - OMG.

I don't think I've seen you post this OA before. Makes one wonder what the heck else you've got tucked away in your Inner Sanctum. I mean that in the best way, of course! :devil:

Cleaning up some cross posting and best of 2014 snags. I love both these books long time.

WildBillHickok01fc100_zps29983b70.jpg

I love this cover as well! I have a copy, but it's certainly not as nice as yours. :cloud9:

Edited by CrocHntr

Cleaning up some cross posting and best of 2014 snags. I love both these books long time.

WildBillHickok01fc100_zps29983b70.jpg

WesternKid08fc100_zpse68cbf0e.jpg

I love both of these books and in terrific shape also (though that's to be expected from the good doc).

Ingels had some really nice western covers and the Wild Bill came out the same time he was doing the Gunfighter issues for EC.

The Shores Western Kid might make my top ten Atlas western list. :cloud9: