• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Philly June 11-13, 2010

148 posts in this topic

As far as comic book guests, yea, it was *insane* how terrible it was. The Star Trek guests were cool, tho.

Wonderful con! Lots of good deals. It was great seeing everyone, and to be re-united with Han! I got some pretty cool items, and had a great time. Can't wait for Baltimore now!

I went up Friday for a few hours by myself and came back Saturday with some friends for the whole day.

While I agree that the amount of guests was smaller this year, I still had a great time at the show.

One of my favorite modern comics is PROOF and the writer Alexander Grecian was there. I posted the following in the Proof appreciation thread last night, but I figured I'd post it here too to give him another plug since he was a really nice guy. (thumbs u

Just got back from Wizard World Philly. I got a chance to meet and talk to Alexander Grecian Friday and again today. He was great and really nice. We talked for awhile on Friday and I got 2 books Signature Series and a couple raw books signed.

After talking to him Friday he told me I could bring my entire collection back today to get signed by him. :applause:

He was great and took the time to sign every book and draw a sketch on each book.

He's even going to send me a signed copy of #28 after it gets released so I'll have an entire set of Season 1 autographed.

He signed every book for free. (worship)

I can't say enough about how nice he was, and if you're reading this Alex thanks again!!!

The sheet of paper with the drawing on it, is a piece of Original Art his 6 year old son Graham gave me.

Here are some pics.

ProofSet.jpg

ProofTPB1.jpg

ProofCGCSet.jpg

:hi: Kenny! Any idea of good comic places here in Western, PA? Nothing in Indiana where I am for school. Only place that seems to have much of anything is Greensburgh (or something like that).

Go to Eide's in downtown Pittsburgh. It's one of the best comic stores I've ever been in (thumbs u

http://www.eides.com/

It wasn't the artist packed show I'd like to see but it wasn't a bad show overall. WW has what they think is a well rounded show, I tend to disagree.

I was on the fence about attending this show and I'm sure as the WW shows roll on I will be less likely to attend in the future.

I'm one who doesn't put any stock whatsoever in who's appearing at a show. In fact, I don't even go near those guest areas - unless I hear that some uber-hot, scantily-clad female is there, posing for pics upside-down while simultaneously eating 3 bananas. But I digress. Most of the so-called "celebs" are a sad collection of has-beens, never beens or never-will-be's, who happen to put their pants on (or, in some cases take 'em off) one leg at a time. Sorry, but I have no desire to meet a hockey player from "Clerks" or an extra from "Night Of The Comet."

I get it if you want an Original sketch or a Sig on your comic, but paying to pose for a pic with a guy whose portrayal mocked Finger & Kane's intended persona of The Batman in a campy TV series? I would pay $30 bucks and wait in a long line for a chance to slap the producer of that series. No disrespect intended, because it's just my opinion, likely formed over many years and being expressed by a 53 year-old, garden-variety cynic. But hey...to each his own and whatever steams your beans - I say knock yourself out and do your thing...okay, enough bad cliche action already.

Regardless of the "terrible guest list," not only was the Con more packed than I've ever seen, it was clearly evident that the buyers out-weighed the browsers, judging by the amount of cash I saw changing hands at most tables, in spite of our current economic situation. I'm sure that tonight after the smoke clears, most dealers will be very happy with their weekend ledger sheet, while hoping that Wizard Philly continues for years down the road. High sales volume in these times doesn't only benefit the dealers, it's a positive omen for collector's as well. No matter who "appeared" or didn't at this show, it confirmed a very optimistic outlook on the future of our hobby...and that's a good thing for all of us. (thumbs u

As someone who is a native of the Philadelphia area, it is just sad to see what Wizard has done to this once great con. Philadelphia never gets any respect nationally, and Wizard is no different than any other national entity.

Sure, if you were looking to buy, you may have done well (I know I did). But the lack of Marvel, DC and every other major publisher really hurt this event this year and last year.

It was disgraceful to walk in and witness the very first exhibit... a promo for a cell phone.

That's right, a cell phone...

Why did Wizard rename this Philadelphia Comic-con if the major exhibitor was a cell phone company?

In addition, Wizard greatly reduced the number of artists in attendance, as well as the number of panel presentations. The few artists that did attend were pretty busy on Saturday, but Friday looked slow and today seemed like a desert wasteland.

And don't let the large crowds fool you. As someone who plans and conducts special events (and trains professionals how to run successful events), I realized it was a bit obvious that the grand pooh-bah of the con put all the wrestlers, star trekkers, and other celebs in the middle of the show floor instead of in a designated area. You know why? To make it look more exciting than it really was.

For me, if it were not for CGC offering on-site grading and my good friend Wade having his usual great set-up (www.comicmadness.com), I would not have attended this year.

Wizard has figured out how to make a lot of money by giving "spoon" to the people. In previous years, I would happily drop big bucks on VIP tickets for myself and my crew. I didn't this year, and I am I glad I didn't. Next year, I don't see myself, my wife, my brother-in-law and the rest of my crew attending Wizard World Philadelphia. It really is sad because we always looked forward to this weekend in the past.

I'm sure some of you may disagree and think I'm on a soap box, but I'm one of the few people who still believes in integrity. And Wizard has completely ruined the integrity of this show.

If any good has come of this, my wife and I will be in Baltimore for the Baltimore Comic-con. Many people have said that is one of the best shows in the U.S. We're also going to NY Comic-con in October. From what I've heard about Baltimore and experienced at NYCC in the past, both shows have enough integrity to make up for Wizard's shortcomings.

MegaCon in Orlando is a pretty nice show as is Heroes. All the Wizard shows are the same... like cookies off an assembly line.

If you want to go to a show with artists and nice environment, Heroes is it. Last year I said this, but this year it is definitely true, Heroes will be a road trip next year and Philly will be a one day event. I could have easily finished this show in one or two days even with on site.

Baltimore is also a fantastic show for artists. I wish that show was three days... there's more than enough to do with the artists. Marc Nathan runs an absolutely fantastic show.