• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Popular Characters outside our nerd realm ?

24 posts in this topic

The Cap 1 vs Bat 1 in Gold got me thinking. :o

Outside our obsessive nerd love of characters who are the most popular and widely recognized.

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Spider-man

4) Robin

5) Hulk

6) Cap America

7) Wonder Woman

8) Joker

9) Catwoman

10) Wolverine

Honourable mentions - Iron Man, F4, other X-men, Thor

When making this list I tried to think of characters that my friends and family would be able to name.

Robin (unfortunately) is top 5 material as well....and Wolverine might be right up there now with Iron Man.

The top 7 or 8 would be tough but it's likely Spidey vs Batman for the pole position.

Robin (unfortunately) is top 5 material as well....and Wolverine might be right up there now with Iron Man.

The top 7 or 8 would be tough but it's likely Spidey vs Batman for the pole position.

I don't know. I'd love to see a poll, but I am guessing Supes is still the man - at least as far as recognizability. For popularity, I agree Spidey and Bats at the top. Others may come and go, but Superman is always there. Much like Mickey Mouse, he doesn't need to be featured in the media in the same way as other characters to stay in the public conscience.

As for Robin, I thought he might be sliding a bit with characters like Iron Man and perhaps even the Joker becoming more recognizable.

I don't know. I'd love to see a poll, but I am guessing Supes is still the man - at least as far as recognizability. For popularity, I agree Spidey and Bats at the top. Others may come and go, but Superman is always there. Much like Mickey Mouse, he doesn't need to be featured in the media in the same way as other characters to stay in the public conscience.

I agree. If we are talking about the far corners of the globe [outside of our nerd realm], people in a dirt poor village in India recognize Superman, Batman and maybe Spidey. I would guess Wolverine and Iron Man are not nearly as recognizable.

I think I recall some survey indicating that Superman was not far behind Coke and Mickey Mouse as one of the top global "brands."

My generation grew up on ninja turtles and in the early 90's you couldn't go anywhere without seeing them. They're recognizable worldwide even today, although admittedly the peak of their popularity is behind us.

Spider-Man

Batman

by a landslide

then Superman and Wolverine.

those 4 characters are icons and the rest are just thier supporting characters for Marvel and DC. Those four horsemen are have grown bigger then the comicbook industry itself, the comicbook industry needs those four horseman more then they need comics. They now rule in movies and videogames.They have outgrown comics.

As far as "popularity", I would say:

1) Spider-Man

2) Batman

3) Superman

Nobody really knows or cares about Superman as a character (as far a story and lore), but everyone knows who he is. He is more of an American symbol than a character. So as far as "name recognition", I'd say:

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Spider-Man

I agree. If we are talking about the far corners of the globe [outside of our nerd realm], people in a dirt poor village in India recognize Superman, Batman and maybe Spidey. I would guess Wolverine and Iron Man are not nearly as recognizable.

I think I recall some survey indicating that Superman was not far behind Coke and Mickey Mouse as one of the top global "brands."

+1 (thumbs u

As far as "popularity", I would say:

1) Spider-Man

2) Batman

3) Superman

Nobody really knows or cares about Superman as a character (as far a story and lore), but everyone knows who he is. He is more of an American symbol than a character. So as far as "name recognition", I'd say:

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Spider-Man

(thumbs u

Ask yourself how many t-shirts you see in public and there is really only one that leads the pack:

Superman

Honorable Mention:

Aquaman (I heard a 10 minute rant on Colin Cowherd's ESPN show on why Aquaman shouldn't have been a Superfriend last month.)

Wonder Twins

Archie (CNBC did a blurb on him when he got married)

I think your all forgetting the hulk. I got relatives who have no clue who Wolverine is ( older relatives) but they know the Hulk ( lou ferigno anyone). Hulk has been on TV for 30 years. Had Hulk PJ's and such when I was a kid.

My opinion

ICONS

Spiderman

Batman

Superman

Hulk

Robin

Wolverine

Wonder Woman

Honrable Mention

Capt America

Iron Man

Venom ( Every Kid I Know loves the dude)

Flash

Shazam

Aquaman

Green Lantern

Punisher ( another favorite with alot of people)

Spawn

If by popularity you mean easily recognized, Superman is tops by far far far. Then Batman and Spider-Man. I'd say Wonder Woman is next in line.

After that, it just depends on who has the most recent movie. Wolverine may be recognizable now, but he wasn't a few years ago and won't be big in ten years when superhero movies are past their prime.

Superman will always be number one. It has nothing to do with the comics, stories, movies, or anything. He's one of the most recognizable figures on the planet. his logo is one of the most identifiable logos on the planet. One, two, three hit movies does not come even close to that.

Actually, now that I think about it, the same reasons that he's not too popular with comics fans these days are probably the reasons he's so huge outside our little world. He's a bit of a cipher: generic enough to be distilled into a simple visual, and malleable enough to fit any medium, any generation, any message.

I am assuming, based on the OP's list that he meant characters originating in comic books. That would eliminate Bugs, Daffy, Popeye, Tracy, Tarzan, Disney etc... The list is completely different if those are allowed. I would put Archie in the top ten though.