• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major transaction let-down. Need advice!
3 3

1,251 posts in this topic

Make sure the seller has had ample time to respond to you (and that he has been active on the boards - you don't want to bash someone on vacation), but if they can't or won't give a satisfactory explanation, outing seems appropriate. Also, be sure that the book you think is the same really is. I would not want to get involved with time payments where the seller feels he can continue to try to get a better price until I make the final payment.

+1

no doubt. if the story is true. your buddy should call the guy out. the measure of a man is his word and his honesty. if it was a done deal that sucks. in the words of my sexy tina turner " break a deal. face the wheel."

no doubt. if the story is true. your buddy should call the guy out. the measure of a man is his word and his honesty. if it was a done deal that sucks. in the words of my sexy tina turner " break a deal. face the wheel."

why does everyone think this story is possibly false?

While the seller did agree to a month in time payments, my friend was ready to pay it off a week or so after the deposit. The seller was definitely dragging his feet as he kept telling my friend he wanted to finish the deal in person. Otherwise Matt would of sent the paypal off to him and secured the book 100%

It's not easy for us little guys to afford these kinds of books...but we're very very serious about collecting and it hurts a lot when something like this happens.

Thanks for everyones advice and PMs.

Dan

I know the story is true.

I'm getting goose-bumps just thinking where this thread is going to end up!

Reneged deal? - Check!

Board members involved? - Check!

Reputations on the line? - Check!

"Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

While the seller did agree to a month in time payments, my friend was ready to pay it off a week or so after the deposit. The seller was definitely dragging his feet as he kept telling my friend he wanted to finish the deal in person. Otherwise Matt would of sent the paypal off to him and secured the book 100%

It's not easy for us little guys to afford these kinds of books ...but we're very very serious about collecting and it hurts a lot when something like this happens.

Thanks for everyones advice and PMs.

Dan

I know what you mean.

Once $ changes hands , its a done deal

as soon as the deposit was made the book was spoken for, and should not have been sold to anyone else unless ur friend said he didnt want it anymore.

if situations were reversed, and ur friend asked for a refund cuz he couldnt pay the rest off, he'd(ur friend) wind up on the probation list.

out the seller !!!!!

It's not so much that the story is fake (because I don't believe it is for a minute) but some folk want to hear what went down on the seller's side before they pass judgement.

That is sensible and fair and it's how anybody...you and I included...would like to be treated if we were called out on the boards. :foryou:

However, there needs to be a pretty damned good explanation and fast. (thumbs u

I don't think everyone thinks this story is false. Sounds like your friend is telling the truth. However, there have been many such deals pointed out on these boards that have had more than one side to it.

And if it is true, then eventually the person should be named. However, I would contact the person who eventually ended up with the book to let them know of the backstory.

Edited by 40sJohn

Who said the story is false? (shrug)

In my opinion, I would send the seller a final pm clearly specifying an explanation of the events are warranted. i.e How did another board member end up with the book?

If they do not reply after having read the pm, go ahead and post who it was..... providing the above description is 100% how the transaction occured.

A deal is a deal!!!!

+ 1000%. A deal is a deal. It is not always abut the $$$$!!! INTEGRITY!!!!

It's not so much that the story is fake (because I don't believe it is for a minute) but some folk want to hear what went down on the seller's side before they pass judgement.

That is sensible and fair and it's how anybody...you and I included...would like to be treated if we were called out on the boards. :foryou:

However, there needs to be a pretty damned good explanation and fast. (thumbs u

Exactly Nick....and that's why we posted it here without saying who the seller was. It's to give them time to respond. I think we went about this the right way!

This is pretty clear cut on this one though. Anyone that has met myself and Matt at conventions knows we're cool guys.

Well, I would have said "dorkish" instead of cool.

that's a crappy thing to happen, I hope the seller steps up and clears up the issue. And in a timely manner as well. :wishluck: