• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saw this over in "Copper" - Miracleman #15

141 posts in this topic

$1300 plus the vig for an image of MM holding the body of a recently raped child's whose head has been punched off. That one will be going up on the wall, for certain. Stay classy, San Diego.

Heh...that's a powerful image from the story, and one I considered going after, but ended up refraining for that very reason. I just couldn't imagine putting that up on the wall or trying to explain it to civilians. Then again, maybe the buyer is anti-social and got it for his guest room :insane:

$1300 plus the vig for an image of MM holding the body of a recently raped child's whose head has been punched off. That one will be going up on the wall, for certain. Stay classy, San Diego.

Heh...that's a powerful image from the story, and one I considered going after, but ended up refraining for that very reason. I just couldn't imagine putting that up on the wall or trying to explain it to civilians. Then again, maybe the buyer is anti-social and got it for his guest room :insane:

As part of the story, it's gut and heart wrenching. As a stand alone pin-up... do you think it was the kid's neck stump or the pants around the ankles that was the "grabber", that urged someone to reach into their pocket and drop good money on the piece?

As I posted over in Copper, 53K is an incredible price.

I would never have bet it would get that high. I was thinking 25-30K range. No more than 40K tops.

I agree, it's one of the mega-keys of the entire CA. But, WOW!

No Gene.. some fool just paid $53,775

really a :screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

Seriously, so much venom and bile in all of your posts. Why do you even follow comic art anymore if it stirs up so much anger and resentment in you?

Seriously, so much venom and bile in all of your posts. Why do you even follow comic art anymore if it stirs up so much anger and resentment in you?

wow.. you must really have the equivalent of a 6 year old's brain capacity.

I have neither anger nor resentment to any comic art, or the hobby. I've made millions of dollars in sales in the comic hobby and I had more fun than you can imagine criss-crossing the nation meeting collectors, setting up at conventions and making happy people out of collectors I have dealt with. I've moved on in my business endeavours to another area I like better (vintage movie posters), and one that I feel has itself rooted in common sense better than the comics/comic art hobby and I'm happy doing what I'm doing and I'm happy that I sold 98% of my comic art and I'm happy with what I got for each and every piece I sold.

On teh current state of the market, if I said I think something is nuts.. I think something is nuts and I think that what I see in the hobby today is absolutely nuts. If you have a different opinion of the hobby - you're welcome to it. That's your right just as it's my right to say I think it's nuts. But hey, I'm not the only one who thinks it's nuts.. Obviously there are other people in this very thread who think it's nuts.

on another level, concerning your posts about what you think you know about me.. you know absolutely nothing about me at all obviously because your comments are idiotic and uninformed. I don't know who you are, so I have no idea if I've ever met you, but I suggest that even if we ever met, I never gave you more than a minute of my time because clearly you aren't worth more than that.. which means I'm sorry it took me 5 minutes to write this post

Hi everyone,

(Just posted this in Copper, but figured I'd post here as well)

Looks like this was a real sale, from what I've heard. No one knows who the winner is yet (except, of course, the winner). I didn't win it, but did walk away with plenty, including all the key Bates pages and the #15 double page destruction sequence.

When push came to shove on the #15 cover, I passed. I would value it right at the reserve, honestly, but did not want to go over 50K given I already own the #13 and #14 covers. I find the above comment interesting, though, as there is no question in my mind that I'd take the #13 over the #15 any day. Except for the historic significance (which I'll grant is important!), the #13 is far more beautiful, Totleben's own well-known favorite, and (as only a few know), twice-up in size compared to all the other Totleben covers.

In terms of price, the #15 is worth easily in the mid-40K range, and the seller had multiple offers at that range. Just no one wanted to go over 50K. As for the guesses at 25-30K, those are mainly by people who didn't know I paid 22K for the #13 cover over 2 years ago and 13K for the #14 cover 3 years ago. Those who knew those sales would know that the #15 would have to go double.

I thought overall was a great auction, and I'm glad perhaps more people will be able to have a piece of art from this wonderful series. Some pages went about 20-30% under "market", but some did quite well. I'm sure prices would have been higher had they not all come out at once, but that's a good think for us buyers!

Congrats to everyone who got a page. When you get these in person, you'll see what all the hype is about. No one has done anything close to this combination that Moore/Totleben has done, and I suspect if this series ever gets reprinted then these pages will seem extremely cheap.

All the best,

Hari

Hi Richard,

I think the comment was because you keep calling the buyer a fool (whoever he/she is). That is not really appropriate. Saying it's nuts is fine, but callling someone a fool isn't. We all choose how we spend our money, I for one think the DD cover sale is far more out of line with value. But again, it's all relative and subjective. Let's just be happy for the seller and buyer, because obviously two people are happy with every sale, and to the two of them it wasn't foolish.

Best,

Hari

I didn't win it, but did walk away with plenty, including all the key Bates pages and the #15 double page destruction sequence.

A-ha, so you're the perv that wanted those pages so badly!! Now you can't kid me anymore for collecting Vampirella and Good Girl Art!! ;):baiting:

Just kidding, buddy - congrats on the pick-ups! Is Nina going to let you frame and hang that DPS? hm:eek:

Hey Gene,

Yeah, for me it's all about the story on that series, and I'm a huge fan as you know. I have plenty of art from the series now, but the Bates storyline starting with issue 1 and running off/on through issue 15 is my favorite. The whole good vs evil concept, and I have always found KM to be the most disturbing yet "real" villain that I've ever seen (with the exception of you hedge fund guys who keep stealing money from us poor citizens ;)

During issues #11 through #14, there are only 6 pages with Bates/KM on them, and I wanted them to build upon that storyline leading into the final clash in #15. So, now I have the bulk of them.

If there were any pages with Bates/KM from #15, I would have gone for those as well. But, although the one other page from #15 was nice, it was really a flashback sequence that, to me, wasn't as nice as the pages from #15 I already have. So, I passed. Plus, at these prices, can't buy everything!

As for the DPS, it's an important piece, all on one board, and I've seen it in person. Anyone who's seen it in person would be impressed by the artistic detail.

And no, can't hang it up on the wall! lol! Nina asked what I bought, and I showed her. She just rolled her eyes, as usual. But, it's great to have a wife who acknowledges the importance of this hobby to my sanity.

Hari

Hey Gene,

Yeah, for me it's all about the story on that series, and I'm a huge fan as you know. I have plenty of art from the series now, but the Bates storyline starting with issue 1 and running off/on through issue 15 is my favorite. The whole good vs evil concept, and I have always found KM to be the most disturbing yet "real" villain that I've ever seen (with the exception of you hedge fund guys who keep stealing money from us poor citizens ;)

During issues #11 through #14, there are only 6 pages with Bates/KM on them, and I wanted them to build upon that storyline leading into the final clash in #15. So, now I have the bulk of them.

If there were any pages with Bates/KM from #15, I would have gone for those as well. But, although the one other page from #15 was nice, it was really a flashback sequence that, to me, wasn't as nice as the pages from #15 I already have. So, I passed. Plus, at these prices, can't buy everything!

As for the DPS, it's an important piece, all on one board, and I've seen it in person. Anyone who's seen it in person would be impressed by the artistic detail.

And no, can't hang it up on the wall! lol! Nina asked what I bought, and I showed her. She just rolled her eyes, as usual. But, it's great to have a wife who acknowledges the importance of this hobby to my sanity.

Hari

OK, you've convinced me Hari. For what ever reason, MM is the only major Moore work I've never read but your passion is infectious and I'm going to go out now and get myself a reprint and see what I've been missing. Congrats by the way!

Scott Williams

I'm not sure how the $5.3k I paid ranks on the value meter, but I couldn't resist:

MM15page10.jpg

congrats!!

I love this page! I think you got it at quite a nice price.

A lot of deals to be had yesterday, especially due to the original art for 8-10% of the Totleben run (the premier MM run and a story that surpasses Dark Knight/Watchmen in my opinion) being auctioned off in one fell swoop. With that quantity up for sale at once, and in the Heritage setting, there were bound to be some deals.

I picked up three pages, not any of the 3k to 11k standouts, but I'm extremely happy. Giddy even. I feel like a long, five-year journey is over :). - Keith Veronese

This really was a rare opportunity to have so much Totleben MM art available at once. Can't imagine it will ever happen again. So congrats to you Hari, as well as the other winners!

As for the guesses at 25-30K, those are mainly by people who didn't know I paid 22K for the #13 cover over 2 years ago and 13K for the #14 cover 3 years ago. Those who knew those sales would know that the #15 would have to go double.

Not sure I agree here. Does this mean then, that every Miller DD cover will be $100K, and that the ones better/more important than #188 will have to be $200K? This kind of thinking is a slippery slope for OA collectors. Market data is key for making educated buying decisions, but collectors should be careful not fall into the rationalization trap.

Agreed. I couldn't pull the trigger on this page because of the content. In the context of the story, it's gut wrenching, but as a stand alone image, it's difficult to look at on the wall.

wow.. you must really have the equivalent of a 6 year old's brain capacity.

I have neither anger nor resentment to any comic art, or the hobby. I've made millions of dollars in sales in the comic hobby and I had more fun than you can imagine criss-crossing the nation meeting collectors, setting up at conventions and making happy people out of collectors I have dealt with. I've moved on in my business endeavours to another area I like better (vintage movie posters), and one that I feel has itself rooted in common sense better than the comics/comic art hobby and I'm happy doing what I'm doing and I'm happy that I sold 98% of my comic art and I'm happy with what I got for each and every piece I sold.

On teh current state of the market, if I said I think something is nuts.. I think something is nuts and I think that what I see in the hobby today is absolutely nuts. If you have a different opinion of the hobby - you're welcome to it. That's your right just as it's my right to say I think it's nuts. But hey, I'm not the only one who thinks it's nuts.. Obviously there are other people in this very thread who think it's nuts.

on another level, concerning your posts about what you think you know about me.. you know absolutely nothing about me at all obviously because your comments are idiotic and uninformed. I don't know who you are, so I have no idea if I've ever met you, but I suggest that even if we ever met, I never gave you more than a minute of my time because clearly you aren't worth more than that.. which means I'm sorry it took me 5 minutes to write this post

Never met you and quite frankly never want to. I know nothing about you, actually. I`m just basing my opinion on what you`ve posted on these boards, which is always full of venom and bile and generally has an abusive tone. You`re entitled to believe whatever you want, but it wouldn`t hurt you to be a little more civil in how you express it.

For what ever reason, MM is the only major Moore work I've never read but your passion is infectious and I'm going to go out now and get myself a reprint and see what I've been missing.

You absolutely must! It was an insanely good series.