• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does extra staple removal = resto?

13 posts in this topic

This had two apparently unnecessary staples that were removed...would that qualify as restoration?

If so, would I be better off simply replacing the extra staples? Seems a bit of a morally gray area, restoring restoration in order to not be restored. Opinions?

web.jpg

If the extra staples are there from production you may as well leave them in.

It's going to be counted as a defect if they were added later, or if they are removed.

The two extra staples were added later, after production. I guess an owner somewhere along the line decided to add extra support.

I personally wouldn't consider it to be restoration to remove these unoriginal staples that don't really belong on the book anyway. I don't think CGC considers it restoration either. But yes, the extra staple holes would be a defect and should be factored into the grade.

It's not "restoration" to remove them, but even if it were, you shouldn't put them back in.

This whole "is it resto or not, and if so, should I put it back" is one of the worst things about the Purple Label. It provides a perverse incentive for people to damage books (like using tape) in order to avoid a Purple Label.

It's not "restoration" to remove them, but even if it were, you shouldn't put them back in.

This whole "is it resto or not, and if so, should I put it back" is one of the worst things about the Purple Label. It provides a perverse incentive for people to damage books (like using tape) in order to avoid a Purple Label.

+1K

I agree. I try to do what's best for the book.

People that put tape on a split spine just to get a higher grade and a blue label makes me cringe. The post filters won't let me say what I really want to say about that subject. :censored:

I bought a book yesterday that had a rusted staple. As soon as I got home, I took the staple out and put a new one in it. Unfortunately it had a little bit of rust transfer, but because I put a new staple in it, it won't get any worse.