• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,523 posts in this topic

Sweet Xmen cyclegirl! You seem to always be getting the Xmen slabs I am missing lately.

As to the question you asked about my books, I'm not devastated with the grades I got but not thrilled either. The xmen3 I was hoping for a 9.2 maybe even a gift 9.4 so the 9.0 was a little disappointing.

The DD1 was a pretty big disappointment. I was hoping for a 6.5-7.0 and thought 6.0 would be the worst I could get. 5.5 was pretty surprising! I don't have alot of experience with books in that range but it certainly looks better than most of the 5.5-6.0's that I've seen. I probably should have pressed it before I sent it in hindsight. Oh well, what can you do. Still, for what I paid for them way back when, I can't complain.

Sweet Xmen cyclegirl! You seem to always be getting the Xmen slabs I am missing lately.

As to the question you asked about my books, I'm not devastated with the grades I got but not thrilled either. The xmen3 I was hoping for a 9.2 maybe even a gift 9.4 so the 9.0 was a little disappointing.

The DD1 was a pretty big disappointment. I was hoping for a 6.5-7.0 and thought 6.0 would be the worst I could get. 5.5 was pretty surprising! I don't have alot of experience with books in that range but it certainly looks better than most of the 5.5-6.0's that I've seen. I probably should have pressed it before I sent it in hindsight. Oh well, what can you do. Still, for what I paid for them way back when, I can't complain.

Thanks, it helps to be obsessed with a single title! lol

I've definitely been there on being disappointed with CGC grades. I suppose that as long as you didn't pay too much for the books then it all comes out. No matter what, that X-Men #3 is still a really nice book.

I'm not much of one for buying raw and submitting to CGC anymore - too many disappointments. I'd rather buy the book after someone else has been through that heartache. :sorry: Besides, in my experience the raw book often is sold at a grade a bit higher than what you'll actually receive from CGC so it's rare to come out money-ahead. I'm sure that some people do because they spend a lot of time looking and are really good at grading. I'm not that good. :gossip:

Edited by CycleGirl

Thanks, it helps to be obsessed with a single title! lol

I've definitely been there on being disappointed with CGC grades. I suppose that as long as you didn't pay too much for the books then it all comes out. No matter what, that X-Men #3 is still a really nice book.

I'm not much of one for buying raw and submitting to CGC anymore - too many disappointments. I'd rather buy the book after someone else has been through that heartache. :sorry: Besides, in my experience the raw book often is sold at a grade a bit higher than what you'll actually receive from CGC so it's rare to come out money-ahead. I'm sure that some people do because they spend a lot of time looking and are really good at grading. I'm not that good. :gossip:

I agree with that now pretty much. I very rarely buy raw books anymore unless I'm getting a insane deal or it's a very rare book. Even then, like you said, I expect the book to be a lower grade than advertised.

I'm probably a decent amount older than you though( pushing 40) and almost all of my raw books were bought back before CGC even existed. From like 1991-1998, I spent Almost all my money on comics. I was lucky to have some really awesome LCS in my area that always had a lot of fairly HG silver age books. Unfortunately back them I didn't have a heck of alot of money to spend but what I had went to comics.

I can still vividly remember in 1995 my LCS tropic comics bought a run of Avengers from a guy that walked in and sold them while I was in there. It had Avengers 2-30 and ALL of them were 9.6 at least. The #2 was the nicest SA book Ive ever seen, probably a strong 9.8. Sadly, I couldn't afford to buy a single one of th though back then :(

I can still vividly remember in 1995 my LCS tropic comics bought a run of Avengers from a guy that walked in and sold them while I was in there. It had Avengers 2-30 and ALL of them were 9.6 at least. The #2 was the nicest SA book Ive ever seen, probably a strong 9.8. Sadly, I couldn't afford to buy a single one of them though back then :(

:o

Man, that must have made you really want to open up your own comic shop!

I can still vividly remember in 1995 my LCS tropic comics bought a run of Avengers from a guy that walked in and sold them while I was in there. It had Avengers 2-30 and ALL of them were 9.6 at least. The #2 was the nicest SA book Ive ever seen, probably a strong 9.8. Sadly, I couldn't afford to buy a single one of them though back then :(

:o

Man, that must have made you really want to open up your own comic shop!

... or credit card. Good story.

Here are three books that just arrived from Bob (namisgr)

xm59_92.jpg

What the heck is going on with the label notes????(shrug)

I caught that too, but you beat me to it.

Yes, I pointed out this problem to CGC by sending a scan. Unfortunately, in order to get this corrected, I'm going to need to send it in. They said that I wouldn't be charged for correcting the problem, but I believe that I'm going to end up paying for shipping. Since it is their mistake, it seems like they should ship it back to me on their dime, but we'll see.

It appears that CGC entered the book into the database as the X-Men 1991 series. I checked the census and there is a 9.2 entered into the census in issue #59

census for issue #59, X-Men 1991

Here are three books that just arrived from Bob (namisgr)

xm59_92.jpg

What the heck is going on with the label notes????(shrug)

I caught that too, but you beat me to it.

Yes, I pointed out this problem to CGC by sending a scan. Unfortunately, in order to get this corrected, I'm going to need to send it in. They said that I wouldn't be charged for correcting the problem, but I believe that I'm going to end up paying for shipping. Since it is their mistake, it seems like they should ship it back to me on their dime, but we'll see.

It appears that CGC entered the book into the database as the X-Men 1991 series. I checked the census and there is a 9.2 entered into the census in issue #59

census for issue #59, X-Men 1991

I just got a TOS #99 that had been mislabeled as a TTA #99 fixed by dropping it off at a con (WW Austin) where CGC was taking submissions. They fixed it and shipped it back to me free of charge, so that would be an option for you.

I just got a TOS #99 that had been mislabeled as a TTA #99 fixed by dropping it off at a con (WW Austin) where CGC was taking submissions. They fixed it and shipped it back to me free of charge, so that would be an option for you.

Thanks! It looks like they won't be at Emerald City, unfortunately. Still, if they ship it back for no charge, that's a relief. Shipping both ways Oregon - Florida is pretty significant.

This came in the mail for me today. Now, i finally have my #4 to go with my 1,2,3 and 5 :banana:

Thanks Steve for pointing me in this books direction! (worship) Despite the 9.4 grade, in hand it looks every bit the equal of my 9.6-9.8 Captain Marvels. Couldn't be happier with this book :cloud9:

cm4.jpg

Edited by sufunk