• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,458 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Time for a trio of new Lois's...:facepalm:

51209585301_42d5fb50a9_c.jpg

51210344339_19fde3ebaf_c.jpg

51209584656_cb865d9e7c_c.jpg

Beautiful copies and classic DC Silver age fare, but when i look at these i can't for the life of me figure out how Marvel was able to pull ahead of DC like they did during that time 

I enjoy both SA Marvel and SA DC. However, if you read a series of DC issues (like a DC Showcase), you'll notice that the stories have a certain sameness to them. Of course, the same could be said about Marvel and their pining females (Karen Page - Matt Murdock, Jane Foster - Don Blake, Betsy Ross - Bruce Banner, Pepper Potts - Tony Stark, Janet Van Dyne - Hank Pym, Alicia Masters - Ben Grimm, or vice versa, Peter Parker - Betty Brant, Scott Summers/Warren Worthington - Jean Grey, Glenn Talbott - Betsy Ross). I'm sure that there are other examples of this scenario that I have missed.

2 hours ago, sagii said:

Beautiful copies and classic DC Silver age fare, but when i look at these i can't for the life of me figure out how Marvel was able to pull ahead of DC like they did during that time 

Marvel did not outsell DC until the mid-70s...

In 1966 ASM was outsold by Archie...LOL

============================189089971_112910707653997_6086655105281165859_n.jpg

==============189206204_112904220987979_419869225173653494_n.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

26 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Marvel did not outsell DC until the mid-70s...

In 1966 ASM was outsold by Archie...LOL

============================189089971_112910707653997_6086655105281165859_n.jpg

==============189206204_112904220987979_419869225173653494_n.jpg

That's very informative to know, but I am sure this period was when the comparisons were being made and conversions to publisher Loyalty: by the time I was buying comics in the late 70's,  I was a DC junkie due to the Saturday morning Super Friends cartoons and Shazam and Isis Hour, as well as reruns of Batman,  Adventures of Superman on local TV stations in the afternoons and Wonder Woman on prime time, and I still got the "you read DC?!?" question. 

Anyway, in retrospect,  I can appreciate these stories for the creative imaginative gems that they were, aimed at young readers. But I can see how the cohesive unit of all the Marvel hero lines and their teen/ young adult level story telling made many buying comics then see DC as stagnant by comparison. 

10 minutes ago, sagii said:

That's very informative to know, but I am sure this period was when the comparisons were being made and conversions to publisher Loyalty: by the time I was buying comics in the late 70's,  I was a DC junkie due to the Saturday morning Super Friends cartoons and Shazam and Isis Hour, as well as reruns of Batman,  Adventures of Superman on local TV stations in the afternoons and Wonder Woman on prime time, and I still got the "you read DC?!?" question. 

Anyway, in retrospect,  I can appreciate these stories for the creative imaginative gems that they were, aimed at young readers. But I can see how the cohesive unit of all the Marvel hero lines and their teen/ young adult level story telling made many buying comics then see DC as stagnant by comparison. 

We all know that Marvel fans were loyal, but I think the DC characters had been around so long that it took a while for Marvel to outsell them, even though the stories were much more interesting.  I didn't read a Marvel comic until 1972 or '73 when I started buying Spiderman...and I was buying most of the DC Superman/Batman titles as early as 1965.  I think Marvel would have taken off faster if there had been Marvel characters in TV shows earlier.

And as for your cartoons...well, anyone who didn't grow up on Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, and the Flintstones is probably a very misguided person today...:baiting:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

7 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

We all know that Marvel fans were loyal, but I think the DC characters had been around so long that it took a while for Marvel to outsell them, even though the stories were much more interesting.  I didn't read a Marvel comic until 1972 or '73 when I started buying Spiderman...and I was buying most of the DC Superman/Batman titles as early as 1965.  I think Marvel would have taken off faster if there had been Marvel characters in TV shows earlier.

And as for your cartoons...well, anyone who didn't grow up on Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, and the Flintstones is probably a very misguided person today...:baiting:

Couldn't agree more! Don't forget Magilla, Muttley and D Dastardly :x