• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

Very little of that rambling was true Darren. I have no interest in owning one of every pulp ever. That whole self proclaimed "king of pulps" he was harping on is because my last name is King. And I was buying pulps from him. The guys upset I won't be a good little victim and quiet down about it.

I agree pulp and comic collecting is dying. Frankly as far as pulps go, new ones haven't come out since what maybe 1958 with any regular basis? 55 years? It might take another 100 years but it'll just become part of book collecting eventually without any new blood getting into it.

As far as comics go, I'm sure they are good for all of our lifetimes. But eventually they will become 100% digital. Hell, a few hundred years from now, they'll be all 3D and interactive. Anyone that doesn't see the trend with digital everything moderately destroying the paper industry bit by bit just isn't paying attention. I'm sure 3D printing will even get advanced enough one day to make a perfect counterfeit. Don't see too many books on Star trek or wars?

And it makes me want to just stop dealing with them. Something like this happens and I just feel like I want to sell all the rest of my stuff and not deal with pulps or comics or whatever anymore. What's the point in collecting if your stuff is gonna get nabbed by the Hamburglar?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm one or two generations younger than the majority of the people on the gold section. So the pulp/comic collecting hobby might die before I am gone. As to pulps, I never saw one in person myself. I always thought they were like Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. How far off base is that comparison?

Do you think as dealers age and the hobby starts to die, more dealers will go the way of Beerbohm and further accelerate the death of the hobby?

What the hell are you talking about?

Uh. I think Beerbohm is a really rare case Darren. From the stories he's been hurting people for decades. This isn't a senility thing.

Most people on here are honest. That not allowed to create an id without giving a non-free email really weeds out most of the turds. Although I'm sure it hurts collectors legitimate member pool by quite a bit too. I think this site could be made to be a hundred times more popular than it is, but's it's much more of a niche site.

And while it's inevitable any collecting hobby goes the way of the dinosaur, like I said, I think it'll be a hundred years for pulps and several hundred for comics at a minimum before you start having to worry about stuff like that so unless you are planning to live for a few centuries... I'm 30 myself. I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime. Or come anywhere close.

Asimov's Science fiction is a digest. For pulps think the same thing but made with crappier paper, less ads, 50 years older, smells like an old book or sock, and about the same height and length as a normal piece of computer paper. A comic with more lengthy stories and a lot less pictures. Discontinued in 1958. Probably 55,000 different issues in existence, while I'm sure comics is in the millions at this point.

There are a couple hundred thousand different comics and a huge chunk of those are from the last 25-30 years. I'm shocked there are 55,000 different pulps.

Pulps had a 40+ year history before dying out, and prior to the appearance of mass market paperbacks in the 1940s, were really the only way to read fiction on the cheap. In the 1930s they were every bit as popular as comics were in the 40s, if not more so, and covered every genre imaginable. I'm not at all surprised at that number.

Very little of that rambling was true Darren. I have no interest in owning one of every pulp ever. That whole self proclaimed "king of pulps" he was harping on is because my last name is King. And I was buying pulps from him. The guys upset I won't be a good little victim and quiet down about it.

I agree pulp and comic collecting is dying. Frankly as far as pulps go, new ones haven't come out since what maybe 1958 with any regular basis? 55 years? It might take another 100 years but it'll just become part of book collecting eventually without any new blood getting into it.

As far as comics go, I'm sure they are good for all of our lifetimes. But eventually they will become 100% digital. Hell, a few hundred years from now, they'll be all 3D and interactive. Anyone that doesn't see the trend with digital everything moderately destroying the paper industry bit by bit just isn't paying attention. I'm sure 3D printing will even get advanced enough one day to make a perfect counterfeit. Don't see too many books on Star trek or wars?

And it makes me want to just stop dealing with them. Something like this happens and I just feel like I want to sell all the rest of my stuff and not deal with pulps or comics or whatever anymore. What's the point in collecting if your stuff is gonna get nabbed by the Hamburglar?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm one or two generations younger than the majority of the people on the gold section. So the pulp/comic collecting hobby might die before I am gone. As to pulps, I never saw one in person myself. I always thought they were like Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. How far off base is that comparison?

Do you think as dealers age and the hobby starts to die, more dealers will go the way of Beerbohm and further accelerate the death of the hobby?

What the hell are you talking about?

What part didn't you understand. I will try to reword for you.

Uh. I think Beerbohm is a really rare case Darren. From the stories he's been hurting people for decades. This isn't a senility thing.

Most people on here are honest. That not allowed to create an id without giving a non-free email really weeds out most of the turds. Although I'm sure it hurts collectors legitimate member pool by quite a bit too. I think this site could be made to be a hundred times more popular than it is, but's it's much more of a niche site.

And while it's inevitable any collecting hobby goes the way of the dinosaur, like I said, I think it'll be a hundred years for pulps and several hundred for comics at a minimum before you start having to worry about stuff like that so unless you are planning to live for a few centuries... I'm 30 myself. I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime. Or come anywhere close.

Asimov's Science fiction is a digest. For pulps think the same thing but made with crappier paper, less ads, 50 years older, smells like an old book or sock, and about the same height and length as a normal piece of computer paper. A comic with more lengthy stories and a lot less pictures. Discontinued in 1958. Probably 55,000 different issues in existence, while I'm sure comics is in the millions at this point.

Matthew,

I didn't mean to imply that anyone was senile nor people on the boards were dishonest. I have always had very good experience with the few people I have interacted with on the boards (ie: skypinkblu, comicdonna, 143ksk, conan, Dr.Love, etc) All wonderful great people. I don't post much, but when I do it is usually to provide someone with information so my post count is low. In several weeks it will be eleven years since I have been registered on the boards.

Thanks for describing the difference between pulps and Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine.

I'm still surprised at the 55,000 number. I mean, I get that at the peak if there were 200 a month that's 24,000 a decade, but I just thought it was a bit more of a limited thing. Are there thousands of romance pulps? I guess I thought of pulps as being limited to a few genres--crime, sf, westerns, adventure. I understand the argument that they were a source of cheap fiction reading, but so were magazines, the magazines were littered with stories back then. It was an incredibly lucrative market for Fitzgerald, Saroyan, etc.

(you can tell I know a lot more about literary fiction from the 20s through the 60s than I do pulps)

Matt, I am still optimistic you will be receiving by the end of the month, if not sooner, the pulps you legally paid for. Obviously keep the boards posted on whether this occurs or not.

And when you do receive them, there is a thread concerning pulps in this Section and you should share some of the images. (thumbs u

House -

Started around 1895. Went to 1958. Highest point was the 30's prior to world war 2 paper drives. Of the 55K number I quoted you, I'd guess that maybe 1/3 of them are westerns and/or romance ones. Really popular genres back then for boys and girls, but with very few exceptions, almost worthless now unless you are a completionist. They printed way too many. And noone cares about that stuff anymore. Think of them the same way you think of non-archie teen golden age comics except even junkier.

Did pulps in pretty much every genre. They were the mass market paperbacks you have today, before mass market paperbacks existed. People use to get their fiction in the early 1900's in either expensive hardcover books, or usually serialized in pulps cheaply. They were meant to be read and thrown away.

There was alot of crossover between magazines and pulps. Pulps are actually a sub-genre of both magazines and paperback books. Plenty of room for both pulps and magazines to coexist back then. Sort of like TV and computers right now. Frankly, technologically speaking, there's no reason that the tv shouldnt cease to exist in the next decade, except that it won't.

I'll let the board know Mark. I imagine I'll be asking for his inclusion in the HOS list even if he is banned come Xmas, but I can always hope. And if I ever decide to post some of my stuff on the pound you into a pulp thread, i certainly wouldn't do it with any I bought from Bob. But I have some pretty ones in my collection Im sure I'll share sometime.

Thanks.

I'm still surprised at the 55,000 number. I mean, I get that at the peak if there were 200 a month that's 24,000 a decade, but I just thought it was a bit more of a limited thing. Are there thousands of romance pulps? I guess I thought of pulps as being limited to a few genres--crime, sf, westerns, adventure. I understand the argument that they were a source of cheap fiction reading, but so were magazines, the magazines were littered with stories back then. It was an incredibly lucrative market for Fitzgerald, Saroyan, etc.

(you can tell I know a lot more about literary fiction from the 20s through the 60s than I do pulps)

The slicks gave some competition, but their fiction content was dwarfed by the pulps in their heyday, and by the 30s the pulps were mostly genre oriented, whereas a magazine like Colliers would have all manner of fiction. People don't read short stories like they used to, but back then there was enough interest to keep some pretty esoteric titles running for years, like Railroad Magazine and Ranch Romances. According to wikipedia, Popular Publications was publishing over 40 titles a month at their peak.

Cool info, thanks guys. I wasn't really aware that the western stuff of the 1890s were pulps per se (hadn't thought about it) but if we're now talking 60 years of some sort of pulps being published, I'm less surprised by the 55,000 number.

I love the idea of Railroad Magazine.

Ack. Railroad. Railroad magazine and Ranch romances are the only two pulp titles I regularly throw away. I'm sure I'll get flack for that. But to me, they just leave a really bad taste in my mouth when I have them, and I can't even give them away usually. The thirties idea of a sexy romance novel is less dirty then Disney is today.

I didn't mean to imply that anyone was senile nor people on the boards were dishonest.

Hi Darren

As far as I'm aware, people here are honest to a fault (with perhaps one readily apparent exception).

As for senility - er, I cant remember what else I was going to say but I'm sure it will eventually come back to me.

:foryou:

michael

Cool info, thanks guys. I wasn't really aware that the western stuff of the 1890s were pulps per se (hadn't thought about it) but if we're now talking 60 years of some sort of pulps being published, I'm less surprised by the 55,000 number.

I love the idea of Railroad Magazine.

I'm pretty sure Argosy was a weekly for a while (at least during the 30s). Just two decades of that would be about 2% of that total number.