• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

Seriously? You think there is profit in operating these boards? These boards came about as a result of the CGC Collector's Society and someone saying, "Gosh, wouldn't it be neat if we could host a space where members could share experiences?" I doubt if the amount of money earned on click-through ads equals the cost of bandwidth, server-space, and admin salaries.

Despite our collective egos, if these boards disappeared tomorrow the affect it would have on demand for CGC product would be 0. As such, yes, these boards are an alturistic excercise that contribute nothing to the bottom line.

You are very wrong on both points. Why do you think everybody from Google to Yahoo to Facebook to NBC and ESPN measures hits/traffic/viewership and falls over backward to get it?

I also doubt that, were I to complain loudly and vociferously about what a horrible, lousy place "X" is and made quite sure that many important denziens of place "X" were included and subjected to said rants, that I would then be welcomed with open arms the next time I chose to drop by place "X".

Actually most members wouldn't care. They'd go on discussing whatever topics interested them. Welcomes wouldn't factor into the equation one way or another.

Durrrrrrr......

Excuse me but if you're trying to convey your level of intellect with that interjection you're succeeding.

:eyeroll:

So what. Whether there are business benefits to them from the forums is irrelevant.

I agree with this, and the reaction to the boards not being an entirely altruistic venture on the part of CGC is a mighty "durrrrr......." -- try and name me more than a mere handful of ventures worldwide that don't boil down to a pursuit of profit, at some level. There must be some, but not a whole heck of a bunch.

Keep in mind though that our response was to the point that this "site ... is operated largely as a courtesy." Not so, this site is operated as a business and we the posters are the ones who are the key to making it a successful business enterprise.

So yes, this site is a business, but like any business it needs customers. In this case those customers are we the posters. So CGC isn't doing us a favour by providing this site. We the posters are instead favouring this site with our presence.

:makepoint:

Seriously? You think there is profit in operating these boards? These boards came about as a result of the CGC Collector's Society and someone saying, "Gosh, wouldn't it be neat if we could host a space where members could share experiences?" I doubt if the amount of money earned on click-through ads equals the cost of bandwidth, server-space, and admin salaries.

Despite our collective egos, if these boards disappeared tomorrow the affect it would have on demand for CGC product would be 0. As such, yes, these boards are an alturistic excercise that contribute nothing to the bottom line.

If you think that the discussions here have not generated significant excitement/interest/spending in slabbed comic books, you're crazy. I'll venture a guess that this site has generated millions of dollars for CGC since its inception.

I would classify this board as an 'investment' on the part of CGC. It has a cost, both financially and as a source of frustration, however, they reap a benefit from it. As long as the benefit outweighs the cost, they will continue to host the forum. If they ever become convinced that the cost exceeds the benefit, they will ditch it.

I think the total net is zero.

As much positivity as they've had from these boards, they've had to sustain some pretty harsh and negative winds as well.

The only benefit these boards have in the total scheme is that it allows them to keep their friends close and their enemies closer.

This either completely uninformed, naive or purposefully misleading. CGC reaps a financial benefit from these boards. That can't be questioned. And it's not a net of zero.

So what. Whether there are business benefits to them from the forums is irrelevant.

I agree with this, and the reaction to the boards not being an entirely altruistic venture on the part of CGC is a mighty "durrrrr......." -- try and name me more than a mere handful of ventures worldwide that don't boil down to a pursuit of profit, at some level. There must be some, but not a whole heck of a bunch.

Keep in mind though that our response was to the point that this "site ... is operated largely as a courtesy." Not so, this site is operated as a business and we the posters are the ones who are the key to making it a successful business enterprise.

So yes, this site is a business, but like any business it needs customers. In this case those customers are we the posters. So CGC isn't doing us a favour by providing this site. We the posters are instead favouring this site with our presence.

:makepoint:

If you think that the discussions here have not generated significant excitement/interest/spending in slabbed comic books, you're crazy. I'll venture a guess that this site has generated millions of dollars for CGC since its inception.

I would classify this board as an 'investment' on the part of CGC. It has a cost, both financially and as a source of frustration, however, they reap a benefit from it. As long as the benefit outweighs the cost, they will continue to host the forum. If they ever become convinced that the cost exceeds the benefit, they will ditch it.

I think the total net is zero.

As much positivity as they've had from these boards, they've had to sustain some pretty harsh and negative winds as well.

The only benefit these boards have in the total scheme is that it allows them to keep their friends close and their enemies closer.

Correct! (thumbs u

^^ That's the long and short of it.

I would think that this would be the definitive answer to the question. :D

So much for the net benefit being "zero". lol

You are very wrong on both points. Why do you think everybody from Google to Yahoo to Facebook to NBC and ESPN measures hits/traffic/viewership and falls over backward to get it?

Have you ever seen a thread on this board with more than 150 active readers? The amount of traffic generated by this board is so minimal as to be inconsequential to CGC's core business. Additionally, the companies you have listed are media companies; of course they care about traffic and they measure it in the millions of hits. The few thousand a day, let's just blow the wheels off this buggy and say 10,000, these boards get is nothing.

By the way, the high average click-through rate of .3% yields 30 clicks a day. 30*365*3(the # of ads on a single page)=32850. 32850*.25(high average payout for clickthrough)=$8,212. Let's round that up to a generous $10,000 a year in ad revenue.

Yep, these boards are just raking in the "Internet" money!

From what I've seen at other collector sites, you're right. Boards such as this typically have to be subsidized to exist.

+1 (thumbs u I for one enjoy the boards and appreciate CGC providing this (thumbs u

Have you ever seen a thread on this board with more than 150 active readers?

Curious how to tell how many "active readers" a thread has. For instance, this thread has over 18,000 views. hm

Have you ever seen a thread on this board with more than 150 active readers? The amount of traffic generated by this board is so minimal as to be inconsequential to CGC's core business. Additionally, the companies you have listed are media companies; of course they care about traffic and they measure it in the millions of hits. The few thousand a day, let's just blow the wheels off this buggy and say 10,000, these boards get is nothing.

By the way, the high average click-through rate of .3% yields 30 clicks a day. 30*365*3(the # of ads on a single page)=32850. 32850*.25(high average payout for clickthrough)=$8,212. Let's round that up to a generous $10,000 a year in ad revenue.

Perhaps you've heard of Steve Borock, former head of CGC?

I think you are too literal in your definition of 'investment.'

Just to give some numbers here i found, Quantcast gives an average daily UNIQUE users at 9,000 a day. Alexa says on 12.9 page views per visitor on average. That is 116,100 page views a day on average. Assuming that .3% click through is based off of the total number of page views then we get an average of 348.3*365*3=381,388.5*0.25=$95,347.13 Now not saying this blows the doors off CGC but the number makes more sense in terms of them running it.

Have you ever seen a thread on this board with more than 150 active readers?

Curious how to tell how many "active readers" a thread has. For instance, this thread has over 18,000 views. hm

if you are wondering where this site ranks and who are the top posters, look here.

there are many familiar names. stats updated weekly. this site has pretty low traffic compared with other sites with under 9000 posts per week.

who would have thought there were so many readers from south africa & singapore from this chart ?

This site is a niche site. Using Alexa to judge the financial feasibility of continuing the site is not seeing the forest for the trees.

For every one person that posts on here, there are who knows how many who read the boards both as lurkers and 'guests' and who knows how many more who are told about it via word of mouth & etc out in the Real World. The site does untold magnitudes of difference for both top of mind awareness as well as brand recognition for CGC within the funnybook collecting niche.

Any money they get from clickthroughs is probably just used to pay for hosting. Or part of their hosting.

This site is a niche site. Using Alexa to judge the financial feasibility of continuing the site is not seeing the forest for the trees.

For every one person that posts on here, there are who knows how many who read the boards both as lurkers and 'guests' and who knows how many more who are told about it via word of mouth & etc out in the Real World. The site does untold magnitudes of difference for both top of mind awareness as well as brand recognition for CGC within the funnybook collecting niche.

Any money they get from clickthroughs is probably just used to pay for hosting. Or part of their hosting.

But isn't that the point though? It's value isn't just from clickthroughs. It's a goodwill developing machine. It's an advertisement vehicle for CGC itself. No one has discussed the Ebay referral link revenue I mentioned earlier either.