• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Unpaid Item Case for Item I Paid for and Already Received - What Now?

19 posts in this topic

Hi folks

I paid for an item I won through Ebay about three weeks ago. The seller is based in China. There was some flags, but I went forward with the payment and luckily, received the item last Thursday as described. I left positive feedback last week.

There was a bit of an auction dance - because I didn't actually pay the amount through the link of the auction that was won. I found his Buy-It-Now through Google - but it was an auction only for Australia/NZ/HK. I asked him if he would ship to Canada - he said he would and invoiced me through Paypal. I asked for an Ebay auction to win, cause obviously, if I just sent him the money, I'd have no recourse. So he sent me the Buy-It-Now link of a 2nd account he uses to sell to North America and Europe. So I won the auction through his 2nd account - then paid off the invoice he sent me through Paypal. Thus, even though I paid him the correct amount through Paypal, it wasn't through the auction "Pay Now" link and the auction (in My Ebay) shows the item as not paid yet.

Anyways - the worst case scenario hasn't happened - I did receive the item. But today, to my dismay, I got the following email from Ebay:

----------------------------

Please send payment - unpaid item case is now open

Hi,

We opened an unpaid item case for (your item), because the seller either hasn't recorded your payment or didn't receive it yet.

Your payment must be received no later than Thursday, May 20, 2010 16:35:44 PDT, to avoid an unpaid item being recorded on your account (and possible restrictions).

If you've simply forgotten to pay, please pay now so that we can close this case and the seller can ship the item to you.

If you can't reach the seller or there's been a mistake, don't worry - you can appeal to remove the unpaid item after the case closes.

If you paid for the item or have questions, contact the seller.

----------------------------

Just curious - did the seller voluntarily initiate this action against me, or is it done "automatically" via the Ebay system if he doesn't mark the auction as paid for?

I imagine I'll be able to get this cleared up as I obviously don't want a strike for something I paid for - but I just want to know how many hoops I have to go through (and if the seller is being a or something - though I'm not jumping to that conclusion yet).

Thanks in advance.

Seller initiated the action.

Just send eBay a note detailing what happened and at the same time contact the seller. Chances are he simply lost track and will cancel the unpaid bidder claim.

Uuuuhhhhhhmmm hello.

Seller may not have initiated the unpaid item.

Alot of people have it set up automatically after a set amount of days such as 7 or 10 that the unpaid item reminder will fly up and in this case since the seller sent you the item and you did the sale on the other account I would at LEAST give the guy a fair shake until you get an actual strike and leave his feedback alone. Contact HIM, let him know the situation, chances are if he's a pretty big seller he has most of his show on AUTOMATIC, meaning when he hears your deal, he will go and cancel the UNPAID ITEM that was falsely given to you.

Look at it from his point of view as well as that's the proper way.

There may be no bad intention at all and you don't want to mame someone's feedback due to an automatic procedure if that's the case friend!

My thoughts,

Richard

or contact the seller and

since you have the item

click on mutually decided not to complete the transaction

and the seller will have the FVF fee refunded

The SELLER would have to send a SELLER Decided to not go through with sale, type thing for him to get the chance to do that. And then he could hit Mutually agree to not continue.

Thing is here is the seller should not get his seller fees back and listing fees as he got the money for the book.

So Seller should just shut down the UNPAID ITEM STRIKE

End of story

Can't you just mark it "payment sent" already?

I agree,go to your won item's page,and on the right of the item,where there are other options,click payment sent.Should at least buy you some time to straighten it out. 2c

Future note,never win an item thru ebay,and then pay with a seperate paypal invoice.Paypal will not cover that item as an Ebay purchase.

you can have 4..nothing will happen if you get just 1,UNLESS sellers have preferences set to not allow bidding from buyers with strikes.Then you may not beable to purchase things in the future when you want.Just a hassel at that point.

you can have 4..nothing will happen if you get just 1,UNLESS sellers have preferences set to not allow bidding from buyers with strikes.Then you may not beable to purchase things in the future when you want.Just a hassel at that point.

There is no setting like that - the "harshest" seller setting you can do on ebay is to block buyers who've had 2 strikes within the last 12 months.

ok..i knew you could custom set it,didn't know 2 was the least.

good to know tho.

I'd still try to avoid this 1st one if i was him,in case something down the road happens,and all of a sudden you have 2... then you become affected.

Just mark it "payment sent" is my suggestion.That should buy some time to straighten it out.

well 2 is the option that pops up when your listing an item as an option 2 avoid buyers with 2 or more strikes in last while.

hes right 1 wouldnt matter but im an ace and a wrongful unpaid item against me would mean my shipping costs reimbursed VS negative feedback.

As he will get a set amount of money back which could be alot if you bought a big ticket item, and really at your potential expense.

dont get played bro

play lol

I thought I'd follow up with this.

After getting the NPB (non-paying bidder) notification, I emailed the seller last week and was promptly given positive feedback. I received the following email today:

-------------------------------

An unpaid item has been recorded

Hi

We recorded an unpaid item on your account, because your payment wasn't received by the Thursday, May 20, 2010 16:35:44 PDT deadline. We canceled your "item" purchase and it's no longer possible to receive this item. If you have more than one unpaid item on your account, your eBay activity may be restricted.

If you can show that you paid, you can appeal through eBay Customer Support to have this unpaid item removed from your account (the seller can't remove the unpaid item from your account).

End time: May-01-10 17:18:08 PDT

Seller:

Case opened: Sunday, May 16, 2010 16:35:44 PDT

I clicked on the link to appeal, and left the following message:

I paid for this item via a Paypal invoice sent to me by the seller (below). At the time of receiving your non-paying bidder notification, I had already paid for, received, and left positive feedback for the item. The seller has also left me positive feedback for this transaction.

*** REMOVE THIS UNPAID ITEM STRIKE FROM MY ACCOUNT NOW! ***

Almost immediately (less than 3 mins) after hitting "send", I received the following email from Ebay:

Unpaid item case removed from your account

Hello,

We removed the unpaid item from your account after reviewing your case.

Thank you for contacting us about your account.

So although I was given an unearned NPB (a seller's positive FB apparently doesn't "cancel" the NPB process), in Ebay's defense, they dealt with it quickly. I imagine they must prioritize the replies to NPB appeals, since I imagine they must get a lot of them.